Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

FAIRX - 6 equity positions?

edited December 2013 in Fund Discussions
Between my pre-tax and after-tax holdings, there are only 3 funds that are in both, and so have a leadership position in my portfolio in aggregate...FAIRX, FPACX and RPMGX. I have been pleased with all 3.

But FAIRX with only 6 equity positions? Am I crazy holding this to that concentration?

Ok...I do like AIG and BAC...Sears, not so much.

Comments

• Schwab shows 31 holdings. 6 biggest have combined 80% of portfolio.
  • edited December 2013
    No.

Congrats on holding these three funds, and just three. Concentration is one of the secrets to superior returns...or really lousy ones, depending on how skilled (or lucky) you are=).

BTW, not certain but think BB has been off-loading SHLD, at least I think I'm seeing that in FAAFX, which is a good thing.
  • Reply to @DavidV: beyond the 6, those are Fannie and Freddie preferreds.
  • edited December 2013
    Reply to @Charles: thanks Charles, but to be clear, my holdings include more than these 3...these are simply the ones common to pre and post-tax accounts.
  • edited December 2013
    BTW, FAIRX has a very large distribution upcoming, something like 7% of assets. Best guess is that he liquidated something, but SHLD and BAC I'd guess are in the red and wouldn't cause a taxable distribution, so AIG? Here's the link: http://bit.ly/JeCniX
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Reply to @Charles: I could be wrong, but I think last 13f, Fairholme as a whole had added to Sears. The reason it has gone down lately is due to Eddie Lampert selling a substantial amount.
  • Reply to @scott: Thanks man, understand. Just noticed lately that on days when SHLD drops heavy, FAAFX does not go down as I expect. But, maybe just wishful thinking on my part.
  • edited December 2013
    looks like >8% ?..ouch!
  • Reply to @PRESSmUP: Its a capital gains distribution, a really big one.
  • Reply to @NickF: For your information, $3.39 divided by $39.02= 8.706%
    Regards,
    Ted
  • Reply to @Ted: Nice.
  • edited January 2014
    A spot check on FAIRX has me wondering anew what Bruce Berkowitz is up to.

The major indexes - the S&P 500 and Dow were down fractionally, the NASDAQ was up fractionally - and FAIRX gained 2.35%.

Must have been AIG, BAC and Sears...right? Well...not exactly. AIG added 1.17%, BAC was up .48% and Sears gained .32%.

Is it the FHLMC and FNMA Pfd bet? Or something else?
  • edited January 2014
    Reply to @Amir:

Yes, the Pfd shares are on fire.

The GSEs' junior preferred shares popped, with Fannie Mae's preferred Series F shares (FNMAS) rising 13.3% to $9.88, while Freddie's preferred Series Z (FMCKJ) shares were up over 9.1% to $9.88. Both preferred issues have par values of $25.00.

Ralph Nadar wrote a letter to Mel Watt.

http://www.restorefanniemae.us/naderwattletter

And there was this in the news:

NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Shares of Fannie Mae (FNMA_) and Freddie Mac (FMCC_) rose considerably on Wednesday, after comments at a Financial Services Round Table meeting indicated a willingness in Congress to consider the interests of private investors when winding down the two government sponsored enterprises (GSEs).