Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

M*: This Big Balanced Fund Is Getting Better: (ABALX)

FYI: Rock-bottom fees, strong equity selection, and a recently improved fixed-income effort support American Funds American Balanced's Morningstar Analyst Rating of Silver.
Regards,
Ted
http://www.morningstar.com/articles/860449/this-big-balanced-fund-is-getting-better.html

Lipper Snapshot ABALX:
https://www.marketwatch.com/investing/fund/abalx

ABALX Is Ranked #6 In The (50%-70% E) Fund Category By U.S. News & World Report:
https://money.usnews.com/funds/mutual-funds/allocation-50-to-70-equity/american-funds-american-balanced-fund/abalx

Comments

• Funny you should post this, Im looking at its BALFX (another class of same fund) which is available ntf and load waived at Fidelity. I recently added MAPOX to my mix, and thinking I made a mistake. I thought all American Funds were load funds, so did not do enough deep research on balanced funds as I thought. It seems M* had a good thread on it in balanced/allocation funds, and was very surprised at the results I found. Despite the fact that I already paid 2 $49.95 fees to buy it (one in ira, one in roth) Im going to swallow my pride and reverse my decision.
  • edited April 2018
    Folks, ABALX is one of Old_Skeet's holdings. I like the fact that it can throttle its equity allocation based upon how it's managers are viewing the markets. I hold this fund in the growth & income area of my portfolio in my domestic hybrid sleeve. There are many share classes of this fund available for purchase so just because Morningstar does the write-up on the A share class know it can be bought through other share classes as well.
  • Have held this fund for at least forty years now. 4.5% of portfolio. Been happy with it all that time.
  • edited April 2018
    Error- please delete: Have no idea why this was posted multiple times.
  • edited April 2018
  • edited April 2018
  • @Old_Joe: Do you have a bump stock for a finger ? Ha Ha
    Derf
  • Hi @Old_Joe
    How is the wine supply at the "River"????? Or perhaps "was" is the better question.
    :) :) :)
  • I decided to go with GBLEX. IMHO better option given everyone saying to invest internationally. FWIW.
  • @VintageFreak: Looks like a nice choice. I do already have a number of global and intl funds, needed more in the domestic vanilla brand, but thanks for mentioning it.
  • edited April 2018
    @catch22- Well, I have to admit that the wine supply at the "River" house is now a couple of bottles fewer than it was last Friday. But whatever happened here is really weird... every time I open this thread a pre-typed identical "Have held this fund" entry appears, all ready to go: just push the "Post Comment" button.

Whatever happened evidently happened back at MFO, because the original post was made on a computer up at the River house, and now this thread is acting exactly the same way on a completely different computer here in SF. Very strange. I think I need a glass of wine... :)

Additional note: Interestingly, typing and posting this comment seems to have somehow cleared the problem.