Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

M* discussions

Anyone else seeing that function "temporarily unavailable" since Friday night?

Comments

• I just checked on my Android phone. Worked fine. MFO vs Boglehead vs M* vs Seeking Alpha would be an interesting discussion. As for myself,,,, I am looking for actionable intel and people smarter than myself. Wading through dozens of links with little or no responses is off putting to me but some folks disagree.
  • So, I wonder if I've been banned by some fetid vomit-brain.
  • So Crash,,,, what did you do?
  • Nothing that comes to mind. Honestly. When I'm over there, it's all about funds, not politics. Lately, I could not help editorializing, I suppose. Nothing drastic or treasonous, like the Trumpster has said and done.;)
  • You are right,,, it's all about funds. You ever check out contributor Retired Limoman? Most distinctive writing style ever. He owns the balanced funds forum.
  • Yes, I see his stuff a lot. It is off-putting to me, so I zip past it, mostly. He likes to use a GREAT MANY words. Which do not. ...Connect.
    (grammatically, too.)
    ORK.
  • If memory serves "Retired Limoman" used to post here occasionally also. As I recall, his writing style was not widely appreciated.
  • But he loves it
  • M* forums (and other parts of the site) have been intermittently available this weekend (nothing to do with banning). A poster said M* was switching from http to https.

Limoman posted a couple of times on MFO and was driven off.

• Limoman posted a couple of times on MFO and was driven off.

LOL. I see what you did there.

• LOL. I see what you did there.

Oh, hah! I didn't see it myself! Thanks for the smile!
  • Laugh. Thanks, guys.
  • Further junk: I'm a premium member (via TRP) but the site will not let me see all that I should be able to see. (I want to investigate a particular stock.) I'm blocked, as if I were not a premium member. Anyhow, I don't any longer expect proper operation and dependability from Morningstar. Not for a long time.
  • Crash,,, I agree,,, I access via phone and since last site remodel pages load slowly and not completely. I enjoy the great Chistine Benz but mostly go for the data. It just plain doesn't work well .
  • M* forums used to be very educational and friendly. Now it’s primarily frequented by day-traders and Trumpinistas. Compared to the old days, there is little discussion of traditional mutual funds except for PIMIX/PONAX, which seems to have a new discussion starting every day. Certain frequent posters are quick to criticize anyone with an investment approach that is different from their own. From reading the comments you might think that Trump is a genius who actually won the popular vote. If anyone dares point out that the emperor has no clothes, they are immediately swarmed by Trumpinistas.
  • I did notice that one or two in particular are real prigs over there.
  • Crash said:

I did notice that one or two in particular are real prigs over there.

Yes, but you can put them on IGNORE, which is a really nice function to have (hint to MFO).

• My wife has had me on "ignore" for at least twenty years. The best that I can do is turn off my hearing aids. :)

• Being a M* forum regular we've had our fair share of political tripe in recent months but ... and I hate to jinx things, the furor seemed to have died down significantly in recent days. Perhaps the same will happen here. (I only had to ignore 2-3 people for a while over there).

I'm actually, quietly happy that tonight the forum looks fairly like how it used to before the recent spike in political nonsense -- investing threads and such, not political rants. Here's hoping it stays that way!
  • .....Over there again at 12:15 on Monday. Now, not only is "discussions" still unavailable, but fund prices have changed, and are actually in error. No confidence. None.
  • I was just over there and the forum site came up fine.

I don't put much faith in their data streams, though.
  • @Crash: FYI the M* site has been working just fine for me all morning, and my fund NAV's as of 7/20/18 are correct.
    Regards,
    Ted
  • PRIDX, PRWCX, PTIAX all show erroneous share prices when checked against other financial websites. "Discussions" still tells me "temporarily unavailable."
  • This worked for me...try logging off....go to the new M* home web site.......log back in from there.....go to discuss in the MORE drop down. (using desktop, not mobile).
  • New M* is a secure site https.
  • edited July 2018
    Ok, I'll try.... Signed-out, signed back in. "Discussions" DOES come up. And I see that the erroneous share prices in my portfolio (the overall list, in Portfolio Manager) still come up. When I click to look at individual funds, the correct share prices are there. Just lousy and unprofessional.
  • I do not use Portfolio feature...do not know how to fix that one.
  • @crash. Thanks for that alert. I use portfolio and trusted it. Wow.
  • I gave up using Portfolio to track things. XRay & Intersections are very helpful, but for the big picture of my stuff I use Personal Capital for now.