Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

M* discussions

2»

Comments

• Whenever I see an anomaly at Morningstar, refreshing the page seems to fix it. Today most NAVs at Portfolio Manager look correct. In one case there is a discrepancy of less than a penny between one mutual fund share price in Portfolio Manager and as it appears on the Quote page of the fund. Not enough to worry me.
  • edited July 2018
    Yeah, we've all discussed this many times in the past. But no one has seemed to come up with a decent alternative to M*, as far as I am aware.

I'm not a M* member, so I have no legitimate basis for complaint. I use their daily portfolio numbers as a quick and dirty copy/paste input to my financial spreadsheet, realizing that at any given time at least some of their numbers are probably suspect. As Ben says, sometimes it depends upon exactly when you take a look.

Since no financial decisions are going to be made from the daily update I'm not too concerned about a bit or error here or there on those numbers. It's the long-term picture that the spreadsheet provides that is more important.
  • Yes, Portf. Manager tonight matches share prices on individual quote page. BUT: the performance percentage, whether up or down for the day, is still screwed up.
  • rforno said:

Being a M* forum regular we've had our fair share of political tripe in recent months but ... and I hate to jinx things, the furor seemed to have died down significantly in recent days. Perhaps the same will happen here. (I only had to ignore 2-3 people for a while over there).

intruder
  • hee hee.
  • I thought that the furor committed suicide many years ago. He must be awfully old by now. No wonder he's dying down.

• @Mona: Only sometimes. There are a few others I've blocked due to excessive politics and/or personality issues that disrupt the forums there.
  • 28 July. Ran into the same thing as described above. If I were to sign-out then sign back-in, it might work. Is it that important to me? No. Too damn much work, just to get to a discussion forum. Adios, M* discussions. Maybe I am just cleaning cookies out too often to make M* happy, I dunno.
  • To read the fourms I have to be logged out from M*. Go figure!
  • @MFO Members: I've stayed logged-in to M* for over three years when I got new computers, with Firefox and Chrome and never had a problem.
    Regards,
    Ted
  • I'm using Firefox. Maybe @Ted I am indeed cleaning out my computer's memory too often to keep M* happy. Anyhow, I'm done worrying about it.
  • It just went down again in IE 11.
  • yep it's down....
  • Same here. I got into Discussions tonight by working AROUND the fact that I told it to remember my sign-in information, via a Firefox "private browsing" page, then signing in (ostensibly) AGAIN. I gave them a piece of my mind--- again. Lately, including tonight, it "remembers" me for Portfolio Manager purposes. When I go to look at a stock I'm tracking, I'm locked out of the premium content I should be able to see. They just... can't... seem... to... get... out...of... their... own... way.
  • Funny, I can get in with Firefox, but not IE. Just tried IE and it did not work; however, Firefox works.
  • Well, when I attempt to go straight from (bookmarked) Portf. Manager to Disc. I'm getting the "temp unavailable." Again and again.
  • sigh .... down again tues eening. ;/
  • @Crash.. me too. Again and again. Try Desk top view. Works sometimes.
  • Thanks. Dunno what desktop view is. I'm running an old fashioned PC with a CP unit. ("tower.")
  • Oh. That's on my Android device. I check my M* book marked Portfolio instead of checking the news. Better for my health.