Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

M* dismal failure

"Case Summary
Subject: Feedback Form
Date Opened: 8/10/2018

Thank you for working with our Customer Support team. Our records indicate that case #01614167 has been resolved and the matter will now be closed. However, if you have any additional questions or issues, please do not hesitate to reply to this email.

Please click here to rate Morningstar’s client service. It will only take 1-2 minutes. Feedback is reviewed daily and drives improvements in handling future service requests."
They just decided for themselves that the issue is fixed. It's not fixed. Just don't expect anything resembling professional treatment and know-how from this sack of farts company.

Comments

• edited August 2018
    Hi @Crash: Yep, for me I'm finding their site is hard to navigate an still broke. When I go to sign in I get a message that I have been redirected to many times and to clear my cookies. With this, I exit then again access my portfolio without having to go through the sign in prompt and most times this is successful with connection to portfolio. Go figure? Now, if that ain't broke ... What is? I still can not post over on Morningstar's Fourms and have to access fourms (just to read) without being signed in. Again, if that is not broke ... What is?
  • edited August 2018
    So glad I don’t use M*

That cuss-support letter would drive me up a tree (or to drink / one or the other).
    :)
  • @OS, try a different browser?
  • That's what happens when you have a monopoly.

5* Funds...
  • I have had no problems with Morningstar. Maybe it depends upon the browser -- I use Safari and Firefox on my Mac. No problems accessing or navigating.

Let me throw in a good word about Morningstar.

A few months ago, they redid their front page, placing the current index information in the upper left corner: DIJA, S&P 500, NASDAQ (and their own two indexes -- Morn US and Morn Sm Cap).
    For instance, a line would say

DIJA 25,2992 nice little graph of today's action 0.45%

The up-to-the-minute graph shows green/red for the day's movement and the percentage is red or green, as appropriate. Nice info at a glance.

But they did not show the actual point change!!

I could use the percentage to calculate the point change, or look it up somewhere else. But what a pain.

So I contacted Morningstar: "the most watched numbers in the “markets” world are the current point changes for the major indexes — Morningstar should show them right upfront, available at a glance." "Why not?"

It took a few weeks, but they made the change and the change in point value is now there.

I emailed them back, saying I was glad that "Morningstar listens".

David

• You can read the many comments at the m* forums over recent years, but their 'new' site is nowhere as user friendly and functional as it used to be. And I'm glad you got good customer service -- I sent two polite notes in response to messages I got from a named person in their 'Customer Care' leadership team and got no response whatsoever. So clearly I don't matter to them.

I was a longtime Premium member but let the subscription lapse b/c the new site had major usability problems, bad data issues, stale 'analyst' reports and/or missed deadlines for refreshes, and overall instability. I also find the new site somewhat cartoonish in how it presents data, which does not help when doing serious reviews of a company's financials. IMO right now Premium might be worth $50/yr but certainly not $200.

More weird, just the other day, the 'compare' feature on a symbol's performance tab got removed, so you can't compare 2 stocks/funds performances going back in time anymore -- a key feature imo.

• @rforno: The Performance / Compare tab has been in place and has worked over the past 2 weeks when I tried it (I do not look at M* every day, so perhaps I missed a window when it did not work or was missing).

@Crash: The "case resolved" message is likely generated automatically or semi-automatically. Just continue the email convo.
  • As far as I can tell there has never been a way to compare stocks on the NEW site (which is horrible in my opinion). Am I missing something?
  • edited August 2018

@Crash: The "case resolved" message is likely generated automatically or semi-automatically. Just continue the email convo.

While I don’t use M* often enough to encounter a problem (or even identify one), the message sounds very much like the way Amazon communicates when you have a problem accessing their Kindle or Audible content / account access. After the initial contact with an agent, they’ll email a feedback link asking whether you are satisfied with the service. If you reply “no” (not satisfied), they invite you to phone and try to work it out. When you do call, it’s often difficult to understand the agent who is in some overseas call center and not very fluent in English.

But it doesn’t stop there. After you reach a live agent (agent #1) you’ll be put on hold while he / she goes off to speak with agent #2 (who hopefully knows more than agent #1). That doesn’t work either.

Next they’ll transfer your call to agent #3. You’ll wait on hold again until Agent #3 picks up the call. Agent #3 tries to explain what you need to do to resolve the issue on your end. But it’s something you’ve already tried. (By now you’re a half hour or more into the conversations.) Next, agent #3 places you on hold again and goes off to consult with agent #4. A few minutes later agent #3 returns and “regrets” to inform you that their technical people have checked and have concluded your problem is due to a technical site problem which they are working on and hope to have resolved at some future date.

Doesn’t stop there either. In a day or so you’ll receive several follow-up emails asking you to rate the performance of the various agents and whether you’re satisfied with their service. You don’t even bother to respond. Than, a few days later, an email arrives resembling the one @Crash received and advising you the problem has been resolved and the feature is now working. You discover, however, that the problem still exists. At that point you throw up your arms in despair and decide you’d rather live with the problem than invest another hour or more trying to resolve the issue.

And that is why I like Apple and continue to buy their products. Agents speak fluent English and will take the time to work with you. I always buy their extended service contract with new devices (adds 2 or 3 years of tech support). On several occasions I’ve spent more than an hour working with them on an issue. Not only is the problem resolved, but I’m left with a better understanding of my Apple device.

• Sigh. No, I've not found that, either. At least not in any of the ways/areas we used to be able to do it.
    hank said:

wxman123 said:

As far as I can tell there has never been a way to compare stocks on the NEW site (which is horrible in my opinion). Am I missing something?

• What is it you want to compare?

Price movement? Just below the bolded name of the company on the left is a link: Show Full Chart. This shows you a popup price graph with a comparison box for other stocks.

Total returns? Use the comparison tools available for mutual funds. They'll accept stock tickers. For example, here's the chart comparing total returns of IBM, AAPL, and VFINX as a proxy for the S&P 500 over the period of one year.

If you use the fund's performance tab, you can get more tabular comparisons of the stocks you're interested in.

• You used to go to Performance and then could extend the performance data back, say 10-15 years. Then there was a COMPARE button you could click to compare all that data with whatever you wanted .... it was more than just a comparison of price or rolling returns as the M* charting pages offers.
  • msf
    edited August 2018
    Are you saying that you have to work harder to get the data (e.g. by doing a point by point comparison rather than having the comparisons aggregated)? Or that some data is completely inaccessible?

What more data did you want, and have you looked at the fund comparison page as I suggested?

Unlike the chart pages, I couldn't link to a comparison page with items to compare already prefilled. Go to a fund performance page, click on the "compare" tab, enter some stock tickers. What did you used to see that you're not seeing here?

VFINX performance page to start entering stock tickers:
    http://performance.morningstar.com/fund/performance-return.action?t=VFINX&region=usa&culture=en_US

If that's not sufficient, if you still had premium membership you could use the premium stock selector, enter the ticker symbols as search criteria (using "or" conjunction), and then customize a view for whatever data you wanted to compare.

Not that any of this is easy or cheap, just that the comparisons (as I understand what you are asking for) are still possible on the current site.

• I stand corrected! Looks like my adblocker was deleting/hiding the COMPARE button on the performance page. Please disregard my criticism about this particular item and apologies for the confusion!!!
    msf said:

Are you saying that you have to work harder to get the data (e.g. by doing a point by point comparison rather than having the comparisons aggregated)? Or that some data is completely inaccessible?

What more data did you want, and have you looked at the fund comparison page as I suggested?

Unlike the chart pages, I couldn't link to a comparison page with items to compare already prefilled. Go to a fund performance page, click on the "compare" tab, enter some stock tickers. What did you used to see that you're not seeing here?

VFINX performance page to start entering stock tickers:
    http://performance.morningstar.com/fund/performance-return.action?t=VFINX&region=usa&culture=en_US

If that's not sufficient, if you still had premium membership you could use the premium stock selector, enter the ticker symbols as search criteria (using "or" conjunction), and then customize a view for whatever data you wanted to compare.

Not that any of this is easy or cheap, just that the comparisons (as I understand what you are asking for) are still possible on the current site.

• msf
    edited August 2018
    Glad to hear that M* is still working for you (more or less).