Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

CarMax: Which Car Brands Have The Oldest (and Youngest) Buyers?

TedTed
edited August 2018 in Off-Topic
FYI: ( The Linkster drives a 2016 BMW, and my wife a 2014 Infiniti. I forgot to add, that in my Walter Mitty days I drove a TR-7 for about a year, became board with it, and sold it for a profit.. )

The type of car we need (or want) can vary dramatically based on our stage of life. We used our data to explore which cars are most popular among different age groups of buyers. Specifically, we looked at the average age of CarMax buyers by brand and by type of car.
Regards,
Ted
https://www.carmax.com/articles/which-car-brands-have-oldest-youngest-buyers

Comments

• Thanks Ted, that made my day.

Ever since my MR2 (original series), I've had my eye on a Miata. Unfortunately, even by my forgiving standards, the Miata lacks space. So last year we settled on a VW GTI (Mk VII). Better on paper, and a great little car, but doesn't quite match the fun where the rubber meets the road, literally.

Nice to read that Mazda has the youngest buyers, with VW right behind.
  • I drive an '82 RX7, a Harley and a Chevy Silverado. I have no idea what age group I'm in.
  • I have a 2006 Camry for daily driving and a 1977 Datsun 280Z with a 5 speed, was my father's car, for the nice days.
  • edited August 2018
    Decided to keep the 13 year old Silverado forever. Dumped $7,000 into body / mechanical this summer. But hauls like a SOB. Recently upgraded the sedan to an ‘18 Accord Hybrid. Some impressive features. Actually able to “see” the center-line and steer itself. (Technically, you’re supposed to keep your hand on the wheel.) 46 mpg as well.

PS - Haven’t checked the Car Max data, but I’m getting the idea that only a few old dinosaurs still drive sedans.
  • @hank - I love my Silverado. Put 300K on my last one. If I had to sell my vehicles it would be the last one I'd let go.
  • edited August 2018
    I was wrong. Sedans & coupes have the youngest average age buyer (37). Than how to reconcile that with declining sales, along with Ford and Chrysler preparing to vacate the segment completely? Must have to do with demographics: aging populations, at least in the industrialized nations.
  • Not aging population so much as lower demand by young people. Pick your favorite news source, the year you want your story from, and get an explanation for that reduced demand:

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=Young+people+fewer+cars
  • @msf - excellent point
  • @Ted. I too drove a Triumph back in the day. Mine was a Tr-4A, it never run often enough for me to get bored with it. And I sold it for a loss. Much,much later in life I currently own an old Miata. It is everything I wanted the Tr-4A to be and the most reliable car I have ever owned.
  • edited August 2018
    '87 Olds Cutlass Supreme, w/ ~75k actual on it, virtually all highway mileage. Been a wonderful car for dependability & lack of serious maintenance issues. Always been garaged, body in excellent condition.

Everyday use: 2009 Toyota Tacoma, 85k, also been remarkable for lack of lack of serious maintenance issues.

Both vehicles religiously preventively maintained at recommended intervals.

If I need to replace the Tacoma it looks like I'll be in the 0.3 / 0.1% of my age group!
  • Our family have good luck with Japanese cars. I drove a Toyota Celica for 20 years before we sold it for a Honda minivan when the kids arrived. Since then I have been driving a 26 years old Honda Civic, and it is still going strong. Next one will likely be a compact SUV.
  • I must be young at heart, as I drive a VW Golf. It’s been a great car but resale value sucks, in part due to the VW emissions scandal. Still, I might buy a Golf Sportwagen for my next car because I like my hatchback so much.
  • edited August 2018
    Old_Joe said:

'87 Olds Cutlass Supreme ... body in excellent condition.

Sounds like they’re not putting down enough salt on your highways out there in the winter. :)

Corrosion is the most serious issue we face in Michigan. Visible on the sheet metal beginning at around 5-7 years. But a lot of the damage it does to mechanical parts underneath aren’t noticeable until a technician attempts to replace something - often resulting in another nearby/related component breaking in the process.

BTW - Sounds like a beautiful car!
  • Honda minivans since 1999; Honda Accord for second car since 2010; 1993 Nissan 300ZX convertible for my fun. Short driving season and unpaved roads in MI limit sports car enjoyment.
  • Mark said:

I drive an '82 RX7, a Harley and a Chevy Silverado. I have no idea what age group I'm in.

I had an '80 RX7 but traded it in when we started having children (eight of them eventually). Sure loved driving that car.