Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

a small update

Dear friends,

Just a quick note on a holiday weekend. Chip's surgery was, so far as we can tell, successful. Surgeons began a six hour procedure around noon on Thursday. Teams of neurosurgeons and otolaryngologic surgeons alternated, starting with the neurosurgeons installing a spinal drain and injecting fluorescent dye into her spinal fluids so they could more easily identify the exact spot of the seepage from her brain cavity. The head surgeon later reported astonishment at the sheer volume of cerebrospinal fluid (CSF) they encountered.

She remains at the University Hospitals, connected to enough tubing and wiring to renovate a small travel trailer. The key unknown is when they can safely close the spinal drain and allow her brain cavity to completely refill with CSF. Pain management remains a challenge, but we're hopeful of her release by week's end.

With thanks to all the folks who shared words of encouragement and support,

David and Chip

Comments

• I'm glad to hear she is on the mend. I hope she is out of the hospital soon.
  • Glad to hear the surgery was successful!
  • Thanks for the update. Best wishes for a speedy recovery.
  • Thank you for the update. The situation is never far from my thoughts.

Best- OJ
  • @David: Give her my best !
    Regards,
    Ted
  • Still thinking of you both and hoping for the best.
  • Thanks for the update. I understand how difficult this is for you / family. Got a lot of concerned people pulling for Chip here. She’s in my prayers.
  • Thanks for the update. Give her my best too.
  • Thank you for the update. My prayer is with her and her speedy recovery.
  • Thanks David. I'm hoping for the very best of outcomes.
  • Thank you, David. We, too; are hoping for the very best of outcomes.
  • Thanks for keeping us posted, and I'm thinking of Chip & sending positive thoughts for fast recovery.
  • Best wishes for a speedy and painless recovery.
  • Thanks, David. Very relieved with your update -- and wishing you both the BEST!
  • Glad the news is encouraging, sending more prayers and good thoughts to both of you
  • Thanks for the information. My thoughts are with you both and hoping for a quick recovery.
  • Thank you for posting an update on Chip. Your family remains in my thoughts and prayers as well by many others. Wishing continued progress and a speedy recovery.
  • Thoughts and prayers for you and your family. Glad to hear that it was successful
  • Warm regards and wishes for a complete recovery. I hope you have help, David, as you deal with this crisis and a new term.
  • Today's a big test. They've just closed the drain on her spine. Drop by drop, her cranium will refill now. The question is, will the patch hold? The coming hours will tell!
  • Hi David, have been on the road quite a bit lately and just became aware about Chip's condition. She's played a major role in keeping this site going since the FundAlarm days and am very grateful for all her time and effort in maintaining this site. Wishing her a quick and complete recovery !
  • Wishing Chip a speedy recovery.
  • All the best. I pray for continued good news. I am sorry to be picking this up so late. David and Chip and MFO contributors do Yeoman's work here.
  • Good news on the Chip front. I'm home! Thank you all so much for the thoughts and prayers. It was a little scary to go from a confirmed diagnosis to a completed surgery in under 24 hours.

I expect to have a headache for about a week and restricted activities until mid-October (no straws, no heavy lifting, no contact sports, and if I have to sneeze, I have to keep my mouth open!). The restrictions are designed to keep the pressure down on the patch, until my own tissue starts healing over and around it. So far, so good.
  • Welcome home, Chip!
    Glad to hear things are OK so far!
  • @chip
    HI !!! Excellent news.
    Our best, to you, from our house. Knowing you'll continue to receive the best of healing care at home.
    Catch
  • @Chip: Thank goodness you will soon be back on the MFO beat. Do you realize hard hard it was trying to keep the MFO inmate from running the asylum in you absents. Glad to hear your on the mend.
    Regards,
    Ted
  • edited September 2018
    :) Great news Chip. Take good care of yourself.

• Hi Chip!! Wonderful news! You be careful now, at least for a couple of months.

Be good- OJ