Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Any buy ideas

Goid morning...
added more to brk.b and qqq

Any buy ideas this week?

Comments

• are you a trader or investor(hold at least a year) MY buy idea is apple at 180
  • This might not be what you’re thinking of but I just purchased EPOL, Poland etf. No idea what it will do in the short term, this is a long term holding. Head of Morgan Stanley EM Ruchir Sharma has been big on Poland for a while. He was asked on CNBC recently what one EM country he would buy right now, it would be Poland, whose stocks might have been unfairly punished by the pullback in Europe.
  • edited September 2018
    @jerry, I like your idea of AAPL at 180, but that is a 20% drop from todays price. It would probably take a pretty good market down-turn, but anything is possible, so that would be a great entry point if you can get it. I actually sold my shares at about 140 a couple years ago, dumb, dumb, dumb...

If we are talking individual stocks, sold my remaining BABA, Alibaba shares last week and put a limit order in for DWDP, DowDupont @ 64.9 with the proceeds. I own EVGBX and I regard that funds management very highly. They talked about their recent purchase of this "value" stock in their latest communication to share holders.

Alibaba has probably been the most lucrative stock I've ever owned, but the continued China tariffs have put it in a steady down trend since June. When all this nonsense ends, I may buy back in.
  • edited September 2018
    TDF - Templeton Dragon. China has been taken behind the woodshed. Like Poland above I don't know when it will rise again but I don't believe that it is going to disappear. Matthews has a China fund as well and I'll have to take a look at that.

Also looking at FSMEX.
  • edited September 2018
    More single-malts. ;)

I'll post my equity shopping list this week if I remember.
  • Scratch what I wrote above. rforno's idea looks better.
  • edited September 2018
    rforno said:

More single-malts. ;)

Ditto (But in my price range I prefer some of the better blends.)

Loading up on your favorite brand will probably pay-off better over the next few years (due to price inflation) than many investments folks seem to favor. The gain is tax-free (long as you consume it yourself). I can almost guarantee a good cache of scotch will perform better over the next few years than cash yielding 1-2% will.

I’m studying adding to the miners - especially if p/m prices stay low or continue falling.
  • NFJ selling at a 12% plus discount to NAV.

HTGC to provide some early stage tech & biotech exposure.
  • I trust Poland's politics right now as much as Hungary's or Turkey's. An informal boycott with suspicion of how well their markets will function with increasing state interventions
  • @hank, what blends?

upon any dip I am going to buy QUAL and MMTM with some XRLV (and CAPE if I can)
  • New addition on medical related funds and ETFS - PRHSX and VHT.
  • edited September 2018
    I feel it is time to do a rebalance of sorts within my portfolio. Since, the US 10 year is now at three percent, and above, as of today I plan to add a little to one of my fixed income position held within my income sleeve. I will probably do this with every quarter of point increase. In addition, I may add another step to my cd ladder. As far as equities go I am pretty much invested within my asset allocation (both in styles and growth vs value) although I may do some buying around the edges.
  • Just bought Dewar's 12-year old. No taste test yet.
  • Very nice, very nice; standard Dewar's has gotten rather smokier (peatier) over the years, like JW Black.
  • edited September 2018
    I am continuing to build the positions on FSMEX and IHI (thank you @slick).
  • @guilhermes: Ive been using IHI for that sector, sold PJP last year and saw that devices were doing much better than pharma. Have two health care general funds, and right now slightly overweight in Health Care and have been for some time.
  • edited September 2018

@hank, what blends?

I’ve thus far identified 3 decent blends at / under $40. These all go well with a splash of water & ice:

#1 JW Black - Always $40 here in Michigan

#2 Dewars 12-Year (Black label) - Usually $35-40. Dropped to $30 briefly this spring

#3 Chivas Regal 12-Year - Usually $35 Ocassionally drops to $30

Always open to suggestions. Bear in mind we “conservative leaning” investors don’t have 60 or 80 bucks to throw at a bottle of spirits as some of you guys do.:)
  • Hoping everyone like me who's been waiting to buy IVWAX, continues to wait till distributions are made, and then buy.
  • @hank, yeah, I do not buy anything in that price range, or even close. I was thinking of those who compare Smuggler w/ Duggan (both somewhat complex) w/ lighter (Cutty, Ballantine on sale), etc. Don't know any of those consumer types other than myself.
  • edited September 2018
    @davidmoran,

The Chivas is smooth tasting. But doesn’t taste like a true scotch IMHO. Suspect it’s more of a cross-over which non-scotch drinkers also enjoy. At $30-$35 a very attractive choice for some.

I don’t buy the $40 Black Label often enough to have a firm opinion - but I’d say it’s the best of the lot I’ve sampled (after you acquire a taste for it).

Dewars (black label) was a recent surprise find. It wears very well (you don’t tire of it). Close to JW Black in flavor. A cut above their better known White Label.

Haven’t tried Ballentine. Hear it’s decent. I’ll buy an occasional Cutty or J&B. Can’t complain of either at the $20 price point. Another decent one in the $25 area is Ruffled Grouse. And at $25 Dewars White is pretty good.

A few low end single malts around here sell for $30-$40. Have tried a couple. Not bad.

Dewars White Label is reportedly the best seller domestically. J&B holds top spot in Europe.
  • If you like black versions (= peatier) you will not like Ballantine. Cutty and JB similarly have no peat, though.

I was speaking of Dewar White.

Famous Grouse is wonderful. You might like FG Black and should consider.

But these are not the price points I was posting about.
  • White Horse, JW Red are other somewhat peaty blends you might want to try. The gold standard of all of these is Teacher's, however.
  • edited September 2018
    Interesting ... Oops / Sorry - “ruffled grouse” is the local bird. Famous Grouse is the scotch. And, yes, I share your opinion, having had it a few times.

FG Black sounds like it’s worth a try. I’ll keep an eye out for it.

(I don’t like JW Red)
  • edited September 2018
    I suspect this will be a lesson to all to properly frame the subject line.

Technically, @hank and @davidrmoran ; have not violated any thread drift rules; although I sincerely do not tolerate thread drift period.

You two are off the hook with me this time, within the subject line of this post being, "any-buy-ideas".

Lastly, I've had my chances years ago at the best of the best for scotch; and "NO", I'll have a decent wine any day.

• Sure, but do note that this was quipping in direct response to the subject,

yet your point is taken
  • @davidrmoran

I have mentioned before. Cheap Single Malt - try Ainsley Bray Sherry or Satuernes Cask
  • edited September 2018
    @Catch22 - Point taken.

However, as I noted earlier, storing a few years supply of your favorite single-malt or blend is one investment to consider. I think a case can be made that the product, along with associated tariffs and taxes, will appreciate in value more quickly than cash. Heck, it might even do better than a 10-year treasury yielding 3%. In addition, many noted investors (like Peter Lynch and Warren Buffet) emphasize the importance of investing in something you know. Indeed, Buffet has long invested in his favorite beverage, CocaCola. Why should scotch whisky be accorded any less favorable treatment?

The linked article discusses 5 ways in which investors may profit from Scotch Whiskey. And, despite your preference for wine, I’d venture to guess that at least one of your mutual funds has exposure in some form (debt or equity) to Diageo.

Invest in Cask Schemes

Buy and Hold Rare Whisky

Buy Shares of Diageo

Invest in a Whisky Investment Fund

Treasure Hunt for Individual Bottles

“ Brands like Macallan, Glenlivet, and Highland Park are popular, as are lesser produced Scotches such as Mortlach, St. Magdalene, and Glenfarclas. While there is no guarantee it will continue to appreciate, The Rare Whiskey 101 Icon Index increased about 350% between 2008 and 2016.”

https://unusualinvestments.com/5-ways-invest-scotch-whisky/
  • @Mfo Members: Actually there's is evidence that investing in the four "B" Booze, Bets, Bombs & Butts has paid off over the years. In fact Dan Ahrens former Vice Fund manager has written a book about investing in sin.
    Regards,
    Ted
    https://www.amazon.com/Investing-Vice-Recession-Proof-Portfolio-Booze-ebook/dp/B003E4CYYO/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1537279123&sr=8-1-fkmr0&keywords=Dan+S.+Ahrens

M* Snapshot VICEX:
    https://www.morningstar.com/funds/xnas/vicex/quote.html
  • edited September 2018
    My coworkers been buying lots of old WW2 german luger guns. any ideas if these will go up in 5-10 yrs

https://www.legacy-collectibles.com/hand-guns/lugers
  • edited September 2018
    Ted said:

@Mfo Members: Actually there's is evidence that investing in the four "B" Booze, Bets, Bombs & Butts has paid off over the years.

Nice to see @Ted still has a sense of humor. Some of us were beginning to wonder.:)

I think investing should be enjoyable. So, except for the “bombs” part in the above, count me in. May I suggest changing one “m“ to an “o“? That would definitely pique my interest (or is it “peak”?). Either way I’m in.