Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Comments

• edited September 2018
    Https://www.yahoo.com/news/m/28ea0f4c-2ca5-3a04-b6a5-55049c942342/kavanaugh-confirmation-odds.html

Also stormy lawyers broke stories regarding third victim was gang raped by Kav's crew... Think things just getting started

• Coming soon to a TV screen near you: Stonewall!
  • edited September 2018
    Hi John,Why no message? If you watched please share your reaction. I did and here’s a few quick take-always from what the President said:

- He doesn’t like Canada’s negotiating style and has refused to meet with Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau over trade issues.

- He’s ready to “slap” huge tariffs on cars coming in from Canada. This will add “millions and millions of dollars” to the U.S. Treasury.

- He doesn’t like the fact that the the Fed is increasing interest rates. However, he feels his economic stewardship is superior to Obama’s because Obama was “playing with easy money”. He, Trump, has the economy humming at much higher Fed interest rates.

- Farmers are “true patriots” who support him (Trump). Despite some early rough going, soy beans are now rising in price.

- China is meddling in our midterm elections and helping the Democratic Party.

- Obama was very close to “hitting the button” and taking the world into a horrific war that would have resulted in millions of deaths. We’d be in such a war by now if he (Trump) hadn’t become President.

- He’s been receiving “wonderful letters” from the leader of North Korea.

- The 3 allegations of sexual misconduct against his nominee for the Supreme Court, Brett Kavanuagh , are a “con job” by the Democrats. The attorney for the third accuser is a “low-life”.

- The New York Times is a “failing” news organization. By contrast, he likes Fox News.

- He intends to ask his acting AG (Rod Rubenstein) whether he really said all those nasty things about him the NYT reported. But he might give Rubenstein a phone call tonight and postpone their planned Thursday meeting for a day or so - apparently to see how the Kavanuagh hearing goes first.

Overall, I thought the news conference was a bit “off the wall” with the President rambling all over the place and not addressing very well the questions that were being being asked. Lasted over an hour. Hope my summary (just from my mental notes) is accurate. Other views welcome. I think the tariffs issue, reference to farm prices (and China’s involvement) and his reference to today’s Fed rate hike all makes this thread suitable for inclusion here.
  • @hank- Evidently CBS updated the link that you posted above to show a point-by-point summary of the press conference. You might want to take another look at that to compare with your notes.

OJ
  • edited September 2018
    @Old_Joe,

Thanks - but It was somewhat painful to watch (once through). I think once is enough for the day. I think my account is pretty close to what did transpire. Certainly, much more than my listed points was discussed. The Kavanuagh stuff received a lot of questions, but has been so much in the news lately I didn’t much mention it here. Of course, different observers may choose to emphasize / de-emphiaze certain aspects.

On the tariff issue, I’m really glad I bought a new car in June. While not imported from Canada, I suspect these tariffs will impact imports from other countries - at least indirectly. And, if anyone had any doubt these tariffs are a “tax”, the President just nailed that one by touting the millions destined to the U.S. Treasury. We may be ”punishing” Canada, but it’s the U.S. consumer who will feel the bite.

If you spot anything inaccurate in my summary please let me know. Thanks.
  • It's going to be interesting to see how many votes Trump gains by raising the costs on new vehicles for the US.
  • For sure it is painful to watch it was disorganized and with minimal support to the key points he raised. He can barely answer the questions with details. In the end I turned away to elsewhere and watch for other interpretations later.
  • The White House is a Circus and the Clowns are in charge.
  • Old_Joe said:

The White House is a Circus and the Clowns are in charge.

Old_Joe, that's an insult to the Circus industry and Clowns everywhere. But clearly the UN would agree with you...they were quite amused by the POTUS' bragging (I'm SURE they were laughing WITH him, not AT him. Sure, sure). The guy is delusional.

Its just amazing to me that markets haven't cratered yet. Wait until those tariffs settle in.
  • @JoeD- Yeah, for sure you're right on that. My apologies to clowns and circuses everywhere.
  • Wait until those tariffs settle in.
    Agree. How's 10-25% increase in cars affect the consumers? Problem is the entire supply chains (raw materials, Electronic components, active ingredients for pharma and more) will be affected. The end result is higher consumer cost and higher inflation.
  • I think my IQ drops 50 points every time I hear/see this dolt. How do people support this guy? He doesn’t talk in complete sentences and what he says is incomprehensible. My eight year old grandson can form complete sentences and make sense.
  • Now that you mention it, I thought that I've noticed a difference in your posts in the last year or so.

No, no- just kidding! :) :)
  • edited September 2018
  • edited September 2018
    johnN said:

John, have you been smoking something? Second time now you’ve put up a blank response here.
    Just wondering ...:)
  • you don't see it?? you think it's blank?? whoa!
  • edited September 2018
    Oscars moninations multiple awards should be granted for kav+Ford... Wonder how much bank account swells up after the lengthy interview???... Probably made much more than 5 yrs salary combined... Wonder who paid legal fees for Kav
  • edited September 2018
    johnN said:

Oscars moninations multiple awards should be granted for kav

Agree John - Quite an act - red meat for the base ... OMG

you don't see it?? you think it's blank?? whoa!

I see the psychedelic colors. It’s the typed words that seem to come and go.:)
  • Prob bought and used too much mj lol
  • edited September 2018
    johnN said:

Prob bought and used too much mj lol

But I thought Old Joe was recommending it! No?
    :):):)
  • edited September 2018
    That why old Joe is super happy 24 7.. And very liberal for an old white male (I think old Joe is Caucasian not sure lol...

Need to share some for Ted too
  • >> very liberal for an old white male

you need to get around some more