Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Surprises in portfolio

I know its rather early in the year, but looking at my portfolio in Morningstar, found a nice surprise as to whats doing best - small cap value fund UBVSX up over 12% ytd. It had a rather dismal 2018, as most small cap funds. Wonder if anyone else had a surprise in either small cap value or other category that surprised you. My next highest is my most aggressive large cap growth fund MSEQX, they could not be more different from each other. Chances are they will look very different by year end, but nice to start out the year like this:)

Comments

• PRDSX +8.73% Small growth, a quant fund.
    My other equity funds are bunched, up a bit more than +5%.
    PRIDX, VEIRX, PRWCX.

Bonds: PTIAX holding about even. PRSNX +0.87%.
  • edited January 2019
    Old_Skeet's three best year-to-date fund performers through January 18, 2019 are MFS New Discovery Value Fund (NDVAX) +10.22% ... Pimco Commodities Strategy Plus Fund (PCLAX) +9.78% ... and, Principal Small/Mid Cap Dividend Fund (PMDAX) +9.39% which are all found in the growth area of my portfolio. In compairson, an equal weighted S&P 500 Index Fund (VADAX) that I follow (and generally use as an equity spiff fund) is up +8.09% while a cap weighted 500 Index fund (OGEAX) that I also follow is up 6.62%. In addition, my All Weather 20/40/40 master portfolio is up just short of 4% while its bogey the Lipper Balanced Index is up 3.3%. Unless we get into a protracted stock market decline I'm not looking for my master portfolio to continue to outperform the Lipper Balanced Index although I find it interesting that it currently is outperforming it since stocks have been on a recent uptrend so far this year. The portfolio's outperformace is due in part to the strong performace of its hybrid income sleeve which is also the largest sleeve within the portfolio, at about 25%, and it is up 4.4% (ytd). Not surprising, the poorest performing sleeve within my portfolio, not counting my demand cash sleeve, has been my investment cash sleeve which is up 0.1%.
  • DVSMX is making the best YTD run for me. With the ^RUT up nearly 10%, thus is not surprising.
  • @ BenWP what surprised me is that it was a value, not a growth fund. My two small cap growth funds AOFOX and CCASX were up over 8% and 6%, but there are solidly in the growth camp.
  • Old_Skeet said:

Not surprising, the poorest performing sleeve within my portfolio, not counting my demand cash sleeve, has been my investment cash sleeve which is up 0.1%.

Geez - I’m having trouble keeping up. I’d swear cash was the “hot” place to be only a month ago.
  • One year & they are all down .
    Derf
  • edited January 2019
    @slick, @Derf and @hank: Have no fear Old_Skeet still plans to maintain his 20% allocation to cash within his portfolio even though thus far this year cash has been a drag on my portfolio's performance as stocks rebounded from being extremely oversold during the recent stock market swoon.

As Derf noted many mutual funds still remain down for the rolling one year period including my current year-to-date leaders noted above. However, I have some funds that are up for the rolling one year period. My three fund leaders for the rolling one year period are Alger Small Cap Focus Fund (AOFAX) +18.42% ... Franklin Convertible Securities Fund (FISCX) +7.05% ... and, Fidelity Advisor Real Estate Income Fund (FRINX) +4.20% plus some others as well including my money market mutual funds.

Because of all the uncertainity that presently exist in the markets (and economy) I plan to continue to roll with my 20/40/40 well diversified "all weather" asset allocation as one can never tell where the electronic trading machines (hot money crowd) will next position as I am sure it might surprise.

Wishing all ... "Good Investing."

Old_Skeet