Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Robo or your half

@ MikeM:From statement below you said,"
Over the last 5 years or so I've simplified my self-managed portfolio to about 8 funds that I feel good about. That's 1/2 the pot. The other 1/2 is in a well diversified robo.

Would you care to let the cat out of the bag, & report which did better for 4/th Qter 2018 ?

I'm thinking I may put some money to work in a robo or directed account.

Thanks for your're time , Derf

Comments

• edited May 2019
    Anyone have long term data Robo portfolio vs diversed index portfolio performance? Thankyou
  • How can there be "long-term" robo data when the concept is only a couple of years old, if that?
  • Hi @Derf. I think you mentioned before you might invest in robo. Here's a few numbers from my experience that might help you. Just to qualify, the robo is about 62% diversified equity, about 22% bonds, 12% cash and 4% in gold.. My self managed moves around a little because I play with stocks. I would say on average it has been maybe 40% equity and the rest in fixed income and cash, mostly cash in form of CDs. Oh, have a little gold there also. So where I'm going with that info is the portfolios are certainly not apples to apples. But here's some #s:

4th Q of 2018, robo -5.5%, self -6.7%
    YTD 2019, robo +8.5%, self +7.2% (as of 5/1)

Long term not sure what I will do. You (or I) may be better off, instead of a robo, just using a TRP retirement fund. I believe the 60:40 TRP fund has better results YTD than my robo. Slightly bigger drop in the 4th Q. The cash portion of the robo absolutely weighs on return when markets are moving up. But that's how Shwab makes it's money on the "free" robo.

Good luck to you.

• @MikeM: Thank you for filling in the blanks for me concerning robo & personal account.
    Your second thought on using TRP retirement fund, or in my case VG, may be the way to go. Three pot it ,Retirement 1/3- 2025 1/3 & 2030 the final 1/3
    If I'm reading you right , you'd have 1/2 in TRP & run the other 1/2 yourself ?
    Does Schwab use their funds in robo account ?

Good investing to all, Derf

• @Derf, no mutual funds, all ETFs. They use mostly their own. Out of 20 ETFs in the portfolio, 14 of them are Schwab. There are a couple others, Vanguard, ishares , Vaneck.

I don't plan to make any changes right now. I've held it for about 3 years now. I plan to reconsider the robo when interest rates start to climb and the Fed starts to raise rates again. That would be because of the large, low interest cash position they hold. Who wants to hold 12% of their portfolio in cash making < 1/2 % when CDs will be climbing to 3, 4, 5% ?

Anyway, I think it's a decent option to consider for the hands off approach, especially for those who just can't help tinkering with their portfolios. But, there are other options too.

Oh, forgot to mention, a benefit to the Schwab Intelligent Portfolio is a very low cost personal advisory service. I haven't done that yet, but I might.