Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Longevity Calculator

MJG
edited May 2012 in Off-Topic
Hi Guys,

I visited a simple Longevity calculator recently.

For those in retirement, or are planning for it, you might be likewise motivated to do so also. It might help in your savings rate plans and your portfolio construction.

This calculator estimates your life expectancy. It was designed by Northwestern Mutual Life. It merely asks 13 questions about you and your life style, yet it statistically predicts how long you're likely to live.

Since it makes intermediate estimates as you respond to each question, you can see the impact that each reply has on that expectancy. This allows you to test how changing a factor can modify that projection. This is an excellent learning tool that can be productively used to potentially extend your life. Naturally, as the prediction changes, your portfolio requires adjustments to reflect the newer you.

Here is the web address:

http://media.nmfn.com/tnetwork/lifespan/

Great stuff and great fun. Enjoy.

Please visit the site to “live long and prosper”.

Best Regards.

Comments

• Hey, 88 for me!
  • Thanks MJG
    That was fun and easy. 90 for me.
  • edited May 2012
    Requires flash-player our IPad don't support. Old Adage: "Ignorance is bliss"
  • Yuh ... 91 for Dave. Hmmm ... wonder if there's any incentive for a firm that sells long-term care insurance to calculate that I have a long-term? Hmmm ...
  • edited May 2012
    I cleared the pc browser before and after the site visit and still expecting to receive mail from NW any day now...........:):):)

I will add 50 years for eveyone; as there was not a question dedicated to the advancement of medical technology. My patent for the "lick test" is just about finalized. A daily tongue lick to a "reader" indicates all levels of your own body/system requirements of each and every major and minor chemical for optimum operation.

It appears from the above age notations and my 87 notation; we had all better keep our balance on the investing ball, and that SS will run out of money; at least real spendable money. What do you think a "buck" will buy in another 75-80 years?

• 90 for me
  • edited May 2012
    94, but I'll most likely be a turnip drooling on myself...

Thanks for the link!