Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Amazon order phishing email scam, again....LIP

edited May 2012 in Off-Topic
Not that you don't know whether you have a pending Amazon order or not.....just a quick note; you may choose to share with others, too.

http://www.wdrb.com/story/18256319/latest-phishing-scam-looks-as-if-its-from-amazoncom?clienttype=printable

Comments

• Thanks, Catch.

We sent out a notice at work about this phishing attempt as it seemed quite a bit more sneaky than most. Remember that it's always wiser to go directly to a site by typing the address or using a bookmark in your browser, rather than clicking a link in an email.
  • edited May 2012
    Sneaky - but not unlike the multitude of similar we receive in email or find on our answering machine. Found this one in junk mail folder few day back & promptly deleted. Doubt regular users of Amazon, those who frequent this board, or most with modicum of computer savvy would fall prey ... Target appears mainly older people who may not be accustomed to using the internet ... Makes these scams all the more reprehensible #*%&!!
  • I nearly got snagged by this PHISH. Fortunately, my Virus protection worked. I had recently placed an order with Amazon and was puzzled by it's cancellation.
    By the way, I believe I placed the order in hopes that MFO would get the credit. How do I know if this occurred?
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • I had three over two days. Reported all to Amazon with full headers and copy of email. The item was listed as an item number, but actually a hyperlink to something else. The order came through as an item cancellation. The item named was not something I would order.

Just ran cursor over the item number/hyperlink and the link's true identity was disclosed.
  • edited May 2012
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • edited May 2012
    With you all the way on this stuff, Mo. You might remember that I'm a retired radio tech, and pretty comfortable with technology, generally. For some strange reason, though, I've always hated small hand-held gadgets that have a lot of buttons- even TV remotes. We finally just got a cellphone for emergency use, but that's all that it is set to do- phone calls only.

Still do carry wads of bills for gas stations- cash is usually cheaper than credit, and I refuse to give anyone an ATM card with direct access to our checking account. When traveling, do use the ATM card to get cash from banks, though. Very handy for that, especially if currency conversion is involved. The ATM account is at a bank that doesn't charge for ATM use, anywhere in the world, and also makes the currency conversion at the official rate, without a surcharge.

I may be a commie, but I'm a conservative commie!
  • Reply to @Alex:

Hi Alex,

Judging by the occasional reports from David, the Amazon link seems to be working well. I'll point out this thread to him, too.