Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

action in the metals

Howdy,

Whelp, my canaries are singing and regardless of the myriad geopolitical reasons, the metals are moving.

http://bigcharts.marketwatch.com/advchart/frames/frames.asp?nosettings=1&symb=GOLD&uf=0&type=64&size=3&sid=0&style=320&freq=1&entitlementtoken=0c33378313484ba9b46b8e24ded87dd6&time=8&rand=1462&compidx=aaaaa:0&comp=silver&ma=0&maval=9&lf=1&lf2=0&lf3=0&height=0&width=0&mocktick=1

Action has been substantial over the past several weeks. Pick your poison, but I still like playing the junior silver miners for several reasons: 1. the G/S ration is overbalanced in favor of gold and way out of line with any historical numbers [read: 88/1 vs. 17/1]. 2. the upside profit potential always favors silver (i.e. it's easier to double $15 than $1400). 3. I like it.

Riding Impact, Orex, Kootenay and Silvercorp.

and so it goes,

peace,

rono

Comments

• @MFO Members: For your information.
    Regards,
    Ted
    YTD:
    GLD: 10.89%
    GDX: 33.67%
  • Always the contrarian ain't you rono. Folks are busy ramping up their margin balances to buy stocks and you're heading for the bunker. Personally, my money is on you.
  • Yes, mine also.
  • edited July 2019
    Still 5%in metals commodities and bond.

When rono say buy... You may think about adding more

Sold Pho last month was iddle and took loss past 2 yrs

Thinking going China Town in couple of wks and buy real 24- gold bars, dig and burry them in back yard

https://beta.canada.com/investing/golds-lustre-may-help-hedge-your-bets-if-markets-head-south/wcm/4dae48ea-374b-411c-a787-c0221510989e/amp/
  • Howdy folks,

Couple of points for clarification. I am NOT 'going to the mattresses' with my play in the metals. My play is strictly a momentum play. That's all. My canaries started singing and I checked the pictures and decided to see if there was anything to ride. I made my first step purchase and now I'm waiting and watching. BTW, I also own a bit of SILJ which is the junior silver miner ETF.

As to why the metals are moving . . . good grief. Let me count the ways. There are many, many potential issues involving black swan type events, but also there simply the ongoing issues with paper metals vs. real metals, the dollar as reserve currencies vs. various gov'ts wanting their gold or adding to it - the conspiracy and survival types - industrial. And in all honesty, why it's moving doesn't really matter. It's just the direction and momentum.

As for the market. Cripes, I'm fairly long and riding the crest of the wave like the rest of you. feh.

and so it goes,

peace,

rono
  • @rono: You said," As to why the metals are moving . . . I bought a pair of sterling silver earrings for my steady Saturday ! Time for another but !! LOL
    Derf