Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

You ready for another "middle class" tax cut, the cooker pot is almost on the burner, chef claims

edited January 2020 in Off-Topic
Must be election season. Mo' money, Mo' money headed your way............well, who knows.

I'm the messenger, not the judge of future possibles.

Cut, cut here.....

As always, remain curious in life,
Catch

Comments

• edited January 2020
    There will be many things said between now and November. "Politicians and diapers must be changed often, and for the same reason.” - Mark Twain

Edit: However accurate the statement may be it may not have been Mark Twain who originally said it. See the post by Lewis below.
  • Mark & Mark Twain +2
    Derf
  • LOL Leave it to Mark Twain.

As far as elections, I’m in favor of having them every year. More tax cuts!
  • Of course it's election season. Second verse, same as the first ...
    Trump raised eyebrows in October when he suddenly began to talk about a 10 percent tax cut for the middle class ...

... ahead of the midterms.
    https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2018/11/15/18097418/trump-middle-class-tax-cuts-larry-kudlow

You don't suppose that middle class tax cut would be a cut in Medicare payroll taxes? That would make it even easier for him to cut Medicare benefits. He just said that "reforming" entitlements like Medicare "is the easiest thing".
    https://markets.businessinsider.com/news/stocks/trump-open-cut-entitlement-spending-social-security-medicare-interview-davos-2020-1-1028837128

• edited January 2020
    Probably trying get heated/attention away from impeachments...need to fire another smart missle into central iran capital and take out sayyed ali and couple of power plants, much more successful///keeps new-cycles spinning for few more wks

Or fire both Mikes < pence / pompeo> team lol

• Tweety Amin proposing: “We’re talking a fairly substantial…middle-class tax cut that’ll be subject to taking back the House and obviously keeping the Senate and keeping the White House...”

In other words: "I'd like you to do us a favor."
  • “When a businessman is about to sign a check to someone who owes him something, he said, the businessman asks that person to pay up before signing the check.”

Last time he got caught not delivering before the election, so this time he's asking for the favor up front.

“There's an old saying in Tennessee — I know it's in Texas, probably in Tennessee — that says, fool me once, shame on — shame on you. Fool me — you can't get fooled again.”
  • Always go right to the horse’s mouth. I believe this is what @msf is referencing.

• It seems that, as a society, we talk too much and do too little. (Like me now.)
  • Anna said:

It seems that, as a society, we talk too much and do too little. (Like me now.)

It’s difficult to think back to a period when our national leaders possessed a sense of humor.

• edited January 2020
    @Mark
    Politicians and diapers must be changed often, and for the same reason.” - Mark Twain
    There are a lot of fake Twain and founding father quotes online. I doubt this one is real: https://marktwainstudies.com/the-apocryphal-twain-politicians-are-like-diapers/
  • Thanks. I stand corrected. It's still an accurate statement however either by Mr. Wallner or whoever he might have gotten it from.
  • hank said:

Anna said:

It’s difficult to think back to a period when our national leaders possessed a sense of humor.

come on; the last guy had a terrific sense of humor, and a light touch to boot
  • edited January 2020
    @Mark. I agree the saying's funny and worth quoting, but I find the proliferation of fake quotes online disturbing, meant to give a veneer of authority or trustworthiness to ideas that aren't always well thought out, especially in the case of the founders. I see fake Washington, Jefferson, Franklin, Churchill and Lincoln quotes all the time used to rationalize awful ideas and policies. While I find what's going on in Washington often despicable today, I think the notion of a public servant who goes into politics for the greater good should not be a dead one, and I think there is a concerted effort by certain factions of the "a-political" sphere seeking to de-legitimize all forms of government in favor of privatization, corporations and general every-man-for-himself-ishness. I wonder for those who hate all forms of governance if they've ever stopped to consider what it would be like if they themselves tried to govern--how hard it would be, how much hate would be directed their way--and what it would mean if they actually cared more about their constituents than their corporate donors and/or potential employers once they leave office. I know you don't think this way from your earlier posts, but there are many people who do.
  • All true. I sometimes play with what if Paul Wellstone (deceased MN Senator) were still around.
  • edited January 2020

hank said:

Anna said:

come on; the last guy had a terrific sense of humor, and a light touch to boot
    Oh no - I didn’t intend to dismiss O. Just thinking how depressing the whole scene has become the last few years. Not just the exec. branch. Everybody in DC is wound up like a clock.

Re GW - Far apart politically / but those who worked close to him (security, etc.) reported that he was one hell of a nice person to be around who treated them kindly and with respect.

Re Twain - I’d have to agree w Lewis that if it isn’t in one of MT’s writings, it’s better to dismiss it as not credible - although Twain was a renowned lecturer. I wondered about the diaper quote because his humor was quite wry / subtle and that joke is pretty literal. Who knows? Twain became quite bitter and cynical in his later years. Puddenhead Wilson is alleged to be more in that vein, though I haven’t read the whole thing. The Man that Corrupted Haddlyberg is a great example of the cynicism and bitterness that enveloped him.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Man_That_Corrupted_Hadleyburg

Nuts. In a desperate attempt to pull this thread back into the financial area - Did you know Twain was a terrible investor? Maybe we can take away some lessons:

The 19th-Century Start-Ups That Cost Mark Twain His Fortune
    https://time.com/4297572/mark-twain-bad-business/

• Do we want another round of tax cut? Where is the party that shout fiscal responsibility? Who really benefitted from the 2019 tax cut? I representing the middle class certainly did not. Further, we already reached over $996 billions budget deficit (see data from Congressional Budget Office). https://cbo.gov/topics/budget

• "While I find what's going on in Washington often despicable today, I think the notion of a public servant who goes into politics for the greater good should not be a dead one"

@LewisBraham- With respect to DC these days it's more like "public serpent".