Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Paranoid about Coronavirus ?

edited March 2020 in Off-Topic
As I have stated before, I do not believe the Chinese government and do not trust them to report accurate statistics. The Wall Street Journal says the number of government reported cases is slowing down ( this of course requires an adequate number of test kits and testing of patients in a health care setting but many are being turned away).

In the comments there is a link to a fascinating article in the Taiwan papers claiming Tencent accidentally released the "real" number of cases 154,000 and 24000 deaths.

https://www.taiwannews.com.tw/en/news/3871594

I think figures like this provide a far more believable explanation for the quarantining of a city of 11 million, closing borders etc etc.

We may never know, but we will get a better idea when American companies with substantial revenue from China or large exposure via supply chains start reporting results for the first quarter.

For me, the safe thing for now is to assume the worst and hunker down, reducing exposure to risky positions. I do not believe we have heard the end of this.

Comments

• What government do you trust to report accurate statistics? What company do you trust to report accurate statistics?
  • Well, in the current MISinformation age it's hard to trust any information or statistics we hear, see or read from our government especially when there are numerous black Sharpies available.

• Not paranoid. Either it will pass or we will. A simple binary outcome. ;)

But seriously, it doesn't mean a thing to my investing activities. Not doing anything special as a result of this situation. That said, sadly I don't trust what either the Chinese or American governments say these days, so .... sigh.
  • While I do not trust any spin that elected politicians put on numbers, the medical professionals at the CDC and our state health departments are solid professionals who will not let politics interfere with their duty to protect the public.
  • edited February 2020
    Meanwhile, the flu and related in this country takes it toll. Aside from the deaths, the burdens placed upon the social structure causes other problems with students missing too much school, family members taking care of one another, lost work hours, etc.
    Always interesting to go grocery shopping this time of the year and hear the hacking and coughing from some who have to shop or should have stayed out of a public area while ill.
    I carry a small bottle of hand sanitizer this time of the year
    Many hospitals in Michigan continue to have restrictions for visitations.

CDC estimates 2019 - 2020 season

• Very true. I do trust the career professionals at the CDC.
    sma3 said:

While I do not trust any spin that elected politicians put on numbers, the medical professionals at the CDC and our state health departments are solid professionals who will not let politics interfere with their duty to protect the public.

• THE FOOD AND DRUG Administration has issued a warning letter to the makers of Purell, directing the company to stop advertising its products as effective in preventing the flu and other viruses.

https://www.usnews.com/news/health-news/articles/2020-01-28/fda-warns-maker-of-purell-not-to-claim-sanitizers-prevent-flu-ebola

Sorry to have to tell you but soap and water is only proven disinfectant.

• As is bleach, but you don't want to be washing your hands with it all the time.
    sma3 said:

THE FOOD AND DRUG Administration has issued a warning letter to the makers of Purell, directing the company to stop advertising its products as effective in preventing the flu and other viruses.

https://www.usnews.com/news/health-news/articles/2020-01-28/fda-warns-maker-of-purell-not-to-claim-sanitizers-prevent-flu-ebola

• @sma3, funny you mention the cleaning label. At work today someone was cleaning their desk with Lysol spray cleaner and the label on the back of the spray bottle mentioned the coronavirus along with a list of at least a 1/2 dozen other different viruses that cleaner-disinfectant product will kill. A tool to sell more product I guess.
  • sma3 said:

Why do you say this? It removes germs mechanically, not as a true disinfectant, right?

Alcohol gels do a good job and better than nothing. Airborne germs obviously not affected. As they article puts it, " ... enveloped ... viruses are easily killed or inactivated by alcohol and the World Health Organization and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention recommend using an alcohol-based sanitizer as a preventive measure."
  • Example of a product that has listed for many years, a kill factor for coronavirus; among other virus and bacteria types. It is not a false statement, but likely someone is picking on the product "for advertising" this, be it on the label or otherwise.
    Clorox Disinfecting Wipes.
    A common preventative in use at daycare centers and many other locations for years, to help maintain a more sanitary environment is the low ratio bleach/water mix sprayed onto surfaces and wiped off.
    Every little thing helps with the more common transmittable viruses and bacteria.

How many types of coronavirus
  • Paranoid? Google: coronavirus beer.

Interesting facts:
    Did you know that rubbing alcohol, defined by the USP as approximately 70% isopropanol (isopropyl alcohol), is actually more efficient in killing germs than pure isopropanol? The water content helps the alcohol to permeate the cell membrane.
    Alcohol does not kill instantly. Anything you want to sanitize needs to be alcohol-damp for at least 30 seconds. No drying your hands. Or the surface.
    Just because a product is labeled "rubbing alcohol" does not mean it meets the USP definition. It could be a different strength of isopropanol, or it could be ethanol-based.
    Let's say you are serious about killing bugs, like if you were manufacturing injectables in your basement. You would periodically cycle using disinfectants with different modes of action, to deal with germs that became resistant.
    (For a fair number of years, I was involved with, ahem, injectable drugs. R&D)
  • ?? I know you read the articles. No triclosan in alc gels.
  • edited February 2020
    No tricosan I know in Purell, but that does not mean all of this hand sanitizer can't help start a superbug: https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart-news/hospital-superbug-may-be-developing-tolerance-hand-sanitizers-180969890/
    My impression is that regular soap and scrubbing in hot water are better than sanitizer and triclosan still exists in anti-bacterial soaps. But you're right in that I thought some sanitizer still had triclosan in it. My mistake.
  • thanks

all alc gels in the US I know of (purell and cvs-walgreen generics) are 70%, but still

alc resistance in entero bacteria that are also vanco-resistant sure would be a bfd, but I find no cites after this aussie study of a year and a half ago, but lots and lots of alarmist heds citing it and only it ... interesting analyses elsewhere about pH adaptability in entero speculating to inadvertent alc resistance

ethanol tolerance in general has been studied back to at least 1990, I see; I remember asking a biochem type about all this when purell really hit the market around then and she said alc was so good at destroying cell membrane it would always be good, like the mechanical removal action of water and surfactant, as you point out

but life finds a way, again, maybe
  • "but life finds a way, again, maybe"

Yes, I've been wondering for some time about the sudden profusion of "sanitizing stations", seemingly all over the place. Is it possible that, similar to the abuse and overuse of antibiotics, we may be setting the stage for yet more "super bacteria" as they gradually acquire resistance to the various sanitizers?
  • edited February 2020
    Yes, yes we are. Folks are petrified of germs these days ... and I bet more children are falling sick b/c their parents sterilize the hell out of their existences to 'keep them healthy' which in turn weakens their body's ability to fight off 'normal' infections or sicknesses. Plus, with mass producing farmers putting antibiotics into everything in the food supply to ensure large 'yields' (and protect profits) people of all ages are encountering resistant strains of stuff more than ever, I think.

As a kid in the '80s I remember my parents (and friends' parents, teachers, etc) always telling us that "a little bit of dirt is good for you." Now, it's grounds for a Lysol-bath!!! *shudder*
    Old_Joe said:

"but life finds a way, again, maybe"

Yes, I've been wondering for some time about the sudden profusion of "sanitizing stations", seemingly all over the place. Is it possible that, similar to the abuse and overuse of antibiotics, we may be setting the stage for yet more "super bacteria" as they gradually acquire resistance to the various sanitizers?

• https://nypost.com/2020/02/08/chinas-culture-of-lies-has-helped-spread-the-coronavirus/

Part of the article reads:

One crematorium manager told a Hong Kong reporter that, in normal times, his 24 ovens were lit five days a week for four hours at a time. Now, he said, they have so many corpses to deal with that all the ovens are going around the clock. This suggests the body count must be in the thousands.

Then this:

https://www.factcheck.org/2020/02/baseless-conspiracy-theories-claim-new-coronavirus-was-bioengineered/

which the article debunks.
  • @openice - good catch.
  • "Exiled Chinese businessman Guo Wengui recently revealed leaks from Wuhan crematoriums. He claims based on the number of bodies their furnaces are burning, the death toll could be as high as 50,000. Wengui made the bombshell allegations in an interview with former White House chief strategist Steve Bannon."

Well, that's settled. If Steve Bannon is involved it must be the truth.
  • It wouldn’t surprise me if China is lying about the death toll. It wouldn’t be the first country to do so. One reason the Spanish flu epidemic was called Spanish is Spain was the first country to admit there was a problem even though other European countries had it too earlier but lied and refused to admit they had it. What’s absurd to me is this notion that the Coronavirus was concocted in a Chinese lab. Racist too.
  • @davidmoran

Good to probe ccn, the organization itself. Interesting.

@LewisBraham
    What’s absurd to me is this notion that the Coronavirus was concocted in a Chinese lab. Racist too.
    Republican senator Tom Cotton believes it, and the the ccn story writer says Cotton may be right.

So Cotton can ignore the factcheck.org story about the origin of the disease. Besides, the burden of proof isn't on him anyway, is it Lewis?

Yeah, I get it!

https://www.ccn.com/tom-cotton-thinks-coronavirus-bioweapon-china-mounts-feeble-response/
  • Dude, Cotton is a mini-trump, worse in many ways actually, and ccn, seriously.
    Be better, not a johnN clone.
  • +1 on Cotton.
  • @davidmoran
    Dude, Cotton is a mini-trump, worse in many ways actually, and ccn, seriously.
    Be better, not a johnN clone.
    Hey, david, you missed my point and my sarcasm. I know what Cotton is. And BTW, I'm not a dude.
  • yes, that's right, I did miss your sarcasm in

>> Republican senator Tom Cotton believes it, and the the ccn story writer says Cotton may be right

and as my granddaughters can attest, I call everyone that.
  • "Dudess" doesn't really have a great ring to it...
    :)