Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

DOJ seeks new emergency powers amid coronavirus pandemic

DO NOTICE THIS POST IS OFF-TOPIC

So I was wondering if anyone else saw or read this and what thoughts you're entertaining. I have to say I find it quite unnerving, especially since Barr is involved. Written by Betsy Woodruff Swan at Politico.

"The Justice Department has quietly asked Congress for the ability to ask chief judges to detain people indefinitely without trial during emergencies — part of a push for new powers that comes as the novel coronavirus spreads throughout the United States.

Documents reviewed by POLITICO detail the department’s requests to lawmakers on a host of topics, including the statute of limitations, asylum and the way court hearings are conducted. POLITICO also reviewed and previously reported on documents seeking the authority to extend deadlines on merger reviews and prosecutions."

Politico Article Here

And one very well written opinion piece from Heather Cox Richardson. If you don't know her you should.

Heather's blog of March 21, 2020

Comments

• This should concern just about everyone. The DOJ has no need to circumvent Constitutional guidelines, and Barr should be tossed if he even suggests it.
  • OK. It's off-topic. I'm new here. Are people touchy about that around here? What's the big deal?

Anyway . . .

Yeah. Never let a crisis go to waste.

I don't see much chance of it getting through the House.

It's the stuff they think they can do by executive order that worries me.

People were giving parsig9 a hard time the other day for expressing some libertarian sentiment. But I'm here to tell you I'm getting tired of government by executive order, and the rule making process, when the executive branch has been changing hands every eight years for quite a while now.
  • In the past, but less so recently, board purists would bunch up their panties when a non-mutual fund post hit the board despite there being an Off-Topic category. They were informed that they could just scroll on by, or choose only the categories that wanted to see, etc., but that did little to relieve their angst. My intent was to let any lingerers know right from the get-go in case they missed it.
  • Thanks for the explanation Mark.

Seems to be a lot of residual walking on eggs around here. Or Stockholm Syndrome.

Probably just as well I wasn't around then.
  • edited March 2020
    It's gotten a lot better and to be perfectly honest members of the board tend to be pretty respectful of one another, a credit to both David and the former host, no nonsense, Roy. Trolls, agitators and malingerers tend to get weeded and/or called out pretty quickly.
  • "agitators... tend to get weeded and/or called out pretty quickly."

You guys gave me a pass, or is there an exemption when you hit 80? :)