Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Powell: “We’re not even thinking about raising interest rates ...”

edited July 2020 in Other Investing
Happened to catch the Jay Powell news conference post Fed meet today. The Fed Chair seemed very downcast on prospects for the economy - perhaps more so over the high unemployment rate and some recent downward pressure on wages. Both the bond people and the gold people liked that. Why both took comfort - pray do tell - since they would seem to be dealing from opposite sides of the table. Gold tacked on about $10. Miners barely moved. VanEck Vectors Gold Miners ETF (GDX) was up fractionally. The afternoon 2-year treasury rate at .24% (last glance) is an eye-opener.

* As I noted elsewhere, I vacated my position in OPGSX today. I do expect gold to go well over $2,000 - but I don’t invest based solely on hunches.

Comments