Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Laura from space

edited August 2020 in Off-Topic

I had to dig a bit for a photo with some discernable ground reference point. Notice Florida on the right.

Here’s a story. Our thoughts and prayers are with those in the path.
https://www.nbcdfw.com/weather/weather-connection/laura-now-forecast-to-be-a-catastrophic-category-4-hurricane/2432803/

Comments

• These folks really didn't have much warning before it exploded. We went through Irma. Seemed like we had a week to prepare.
  • Surge could penetrate up to 30 miles inland.
    That would be devastating to the coastal communities. Laura could be equally as bad as Katrina.
  • Thankfully, it was in a less populated area than Katrina and although it's a stronger storm, it's moving faster, therefore dumping less rain.
  • For those interested in hurricanes, I suggest tropicaltidbits.com, which has provided daily updates on what became Laura since it was a tropical depression in the mid Atlantic. Much interesting information on hurricane formation dynamics and behavior.
  • My go-to meteorologist here in FL is Denis Phillips. He keeps his FB page updated several times/day...when the new NHC or Euro models are posted. No hype or drama. Helped to quell my anxiety before and during Irma.
  • Be safe out there. Hopefully FEMA will react quickly to the affected area. California got their hands full with their wildfires.