Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Favorite buy and hold fund?

2»

Comments

• Hi there bee- thanks for your excellent suggestion re PONDX. Now that I've established a Schwab brokerage account I can be MUCH more flexible with respect to allocation and management, and I see that PONDX is available NTF at Schwab. I have a number of other individual bond funds that are only so-so, and I think that opening a PONDX account for comparison/alternative purposes is a great idea.

Thanks again!
    OJ
  • Just stumbled across this thread. My "low worry quotient" funds* are VWIAX and PRBLX (and most recently, ARIVX) in U.S. stock, ARTKX, MACSX, and MAPIX in foreign stock, and PIMIX, PTTRX/BOND, DBLEX and DBLFX,** and the various Vanguard muni funds in bonds.

* Come to think of it, these make up most of the portfolio.
    ** Gundlach's core bond fund, which I also owned in its previous wrapper TGCFX at TCW.
  • Pat_Shuff

Thanks for your comments above. I have not seen a mutual fund that does a really good job of asset allocation across a range of assets.

I held DMLIX for about 1 year. It sounded great, and seemed to work OK at first. But I don't think that Doubleline has any particular expertise in either stocks or commodities, and that hurt them badly. I held PAUIX for a few years. I decided to sell it because I could not figure out what I really owned.

I rolled most of the DMLIX into RNSIX, and the rest into RPHYX. When Mr. Grantham says stocks are a good buy, or if the S&P 500 drops to the 1000 area, I will move some of the fixed income into RNCOX and MDISX.

Be well.
  • Reply to @bee:
    Hi Bee, I've been in PONDX over 3 years and done very well by it.
    I add to it quarterly, but it's strictly B&H and not the "sweep" type
    fund you seem to use, because it's with TD Ameritrade and there's
    a 6 month hold to take out without a penalty.
    Where is your PONDX stashed and does it have a holding period?
    You've a great idea, but I don't know where I'd be able to put it
    without a penalty.
    Thanks,
    Zoltan
  • beebee
    edited July 2012
    Reply to @Zolta:

So far so good with USAA brokerage...no excessive trading fees. I am not trading in or out on a daily, weekly, or even a monthly basis. A 10% gain usually takes a while to unfold...but I do monitor for such an event and sell when it makes has reached that level. Buying into a fund is never a problem and I pay a little more (in ER) for this share class (PONDX vs PIMIX) so I can get it NTF. Try to get the lowest ER share class that you brokerage sells NTF.

Remember, too, that there usually are older shares that qualify to be traded helping to avoid a redemption fee. Most brokerage houses let you see this information before you make a trade. If you are unsure...contact your brokerage by phone and have them help you through the "reallocation" process. Most allow periodic re-allocations. What is periodic to you may differ from what they deem periodic. Its always good to ask.
  • Reply to @bee: Sweet mountain analogy! Absolutely love it...likely never forget it. Thanks for sharing bee.