Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Federal officials arrest six for plot to kidnap Michigan Gov. Gretchen Whitmer

edited October 2020 in Off-Topic
“In a complaint filed in federal court, authorities announced the charges against six men ... (All) are accused of conspiring to kidnap Whitmer. ... One said he needed ‘200 men’ to storm the Capitol building in Lansing, Michigan, and take hostages, including the Governor. Fox explained they would try the Governor of Michigan for 'treason,' and he said they would execute the plan before the November 2020 elections, according to federal officials.“
STORY

“This has gone quite far enough ...“ (“The Beast“ - From William Golding’s Lord of the Flies)

Comments

• edited October 2020
    Where is the Republican and Fox News outrage about the violent dangerous "radical right?" https://aol.com/article/news/2020/10/08/6-people-charged-in-plot-to-kidnap-michigan-gov-whitmer/24645091/
    Or are we just going to get more footage of "riots" in liberal cities?

Just saw your post, hank. So copied my comment here.
  • edited October 2020
    “Liberate Michigan!” Huh? Sounds like some fruitcakes took him seriously.
  • Where is the Republican and Fox News outrage about the violent dangerous "radical right?" https://aol.com/article/news/2020/10/08/6-people-charged-in-plot-to-kidnap-michigan-gov-whitmer/24645091/
    Or are we just going to get more footage of "riots" in liberal cities?

They'll say it's just gaslighting by the deep state. By those DHS government agents in the shadows churning out fake reports saying "that the most significant terror-related threat facing the US today comes from violent extremists who are motivated by white supremacy and other far-right ideological causes."
    https://www.politico.com/news/2020/09/04/white-supremacists-terror-threat-dhs-409236
    hank said:

“Liberate Michigan!” Huh? Sounds like some fruitcakes took him seriously.

Yes and no. Judging from the complaint, they had been discussing a revolution prior to Trump's April tweets. But those exhortations certainly could have focused their efforts.

"6. In early 2020, the FBI became aware through social media that a group of individuals were discussing the violent overthrow of certain government and law-enforcement components. ...

" 8. The militia group had already been brought to the attention of the FBI by a local police department in March 2020, when members ofthe militia group were attempting to obtain the addresses of local law-enforcement officers..."

https://www.cnn.com/2020/10/08/politics/whitmer-kidnapping-criminal-complaint/index.html
  • edited October 2020
    I encountered one “fruitcake“ several years ago while at a local gym. A middle aged guy I’d never met approached me started talking about the Secret “Obama death camps” FEMA had built around the country. The plan was to lock up all “white people” and than exterminate them. Fortunately, I was on my way out. Other than shaking my head in disbelief, I refused to engage with him. He became somewhat agitated that I obviously didn’t believe his BS. Point here is that, hard as it is to believe, there are loonies like that running around who fervently do believe it. Many are heavily armed. In Michigan you can legally walk into the state capital, even while it’s in session, openly carrying a AK47 or other lethal weapon of choice.
  • There is absolutely no doubt in my mind that an underlying but significant part of Trump's election and the current level of violence is a residual reaction to the Obama presidency. There is an element of our society that absolutely cannot handle the concept of having black or minority leadership, and Trump has done everything possible to encourage and exacerbate that.
  • edited October 2020
    If you recall there was a shortage of some types of ammo right after the election of Obama.