Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

The Long Term Returns of Retail Fund - FSRPX

I was first attracted to this fund, FSRPX, when I was creating a list of mutual funds with consistently high risk adjusted returns. It's management captures 148% of the upside (of the Consumer Cyclical Index) while suffering only 91% of the Index's downside losses in down markets.

It continues to deliver those results long term. Its 5, 10, and 15 trailing returns has placed this fund in the top 1% of Consumer Cyclical funds. It is a concentrated fund in which just 10 companies account for 66% of the fund's assets.

FSRPX - M* Profile:
https://morningstar.com/funds/xnas/fsrpx/quote

Forbes Article -

The Tale of Retail

Comments

• Fidelity doesn't seem to have an etf version of this fund, although the returns of FDIS are similar to FSRPX. Amazon comprises about 33% of both funds.
  • @Bee thanks for sharing this. I was just listening to a retail analyst discussing the upcoming holiday season. Interestingly she is expecting a strong one despite COVID because of product shortages which should ensure stronger margins.
  • @bee, fwiw, for the last 5y VONG is similar, sometimes better, though beyond that Fido mostly rules.
  • beebee
    edited October 2020
    @davidmoran, VCR (VCDAX) would be a closer apples to apples comparison and another great consumer cyclical eft/fund. FWIW.
  • right
    was not comparing apples, just noting tight overlay correlation over time for you
  • I might have thought that a consumer discretionary fund with a ticker VCR would date back to the 80s. Turns out the fund started in 2004.

At least they had the sense not to name it BMAX.
  • @carew388 - FDIS, Fidelity Discretionary, is as close as your going to come with an ETF from Fidelity. I have been using IEDI since April.
  • Thanks Mark