Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

EQUITY. A wee bit twitchy this morning, eh?

'Course, it you're inside the Robinhood and Reddit twitter feeds or posts, you could be having an 1,800% gain this AM, from 12 days ago in GME, GAMESTOP. All one has to do is grab one of these stocks at the right buy and right sell and if your bet is large enough for your portfolio; you won't have to take risk evermore.
And you thought COVID was disruptive.
The more traditional funds and etf's that hold some of the targeted stocks for the past 12 months may indicate over-sized gains; whether from luck or choice for inclusion by a manager. If one of your funds or etf is performing really well, be sure to discover what is pushing the holdings.

Global etf's, real time

Star Trek investment moments for the RobinHood alert: SHIELDS UP !!!

Bumpy ride ahead.....; depends where one's money currently resides.

Take care,
Catch

Comments

• @catch22
    buy and hold...stay invested...in it for the long term...don't panic...unlimited QE...loose monetary conditions....

No shame in getting off with the women and children...he who panics first, panics best...distorted markets, no price discovery....

I'd like to introduce my terminology for what is/has been going on and will be used as common vernacular in the history books in the future...."Trap Door Investing"

meaning when you disregarded all common sense and rational thinking, ignored the optics, sky high debt, MMT theorists, sky high valuations, but you are greedy so you walked over the trap door and experienced the Wile Coyote experience...whamo!

What a sheet show, eh?

I'm thinking what is going to happen if this carnage continues and Powell talks this afternoon and the market is so freaky that it does not matter what he jawbones or how much he pulls the lever on the brrrrrrrr central bank purchase machines...Mercy Buckets!

Good Luck to all,

Baseball Fan
  • Hi @Baseball_Fan

Perhaps the global equity needs to take a rest. We are at 53% equity, tech. and healthcare; positions we've held for some time now. The other 47% is in BAGIX, a plain vanilla, active managed bond fund.

'Course, we always prefer to find all of our investments headed into and remain positive, eh?
    Interesting times remain in investment land.

Regards,
    Catch
  • We can't go upward forever in a straight line. Today feels to me like a bit of a breathe-er. Today is certainly noteworthy, but just a blip, when considering an investment-lifetime. High confidence in my fund picks lets me relax after a day like today. Due diligence duly pays off, long-term.
    From largest stake to smallest: PRWCX RPSIX PRSNX PRIDX PTIAX BRUFX PRDSX. 53% bonds. 29% US stocks. 10% foreign stocks. 8% cash.
  • @crash, fine fund selection and allocation you have. Likely more pull back in next few days. Be safe.
  • I peek at this site periodically, before pillow time.

I'll add this active Global markets futures page. I've posted this prior, but new folks or whomever may find this interesting. You'll note the "green" clock along the right edge indicating open trading markets. There are other tabs at the top of the page for whatever else you may want to view.
    A bit more "red" than normal down the page list.

Disclaimer: this is informational only. My magic 8 ball is undergoing a re-build.

Take care,
    Catch
  • Thanks, @catch22. I'll bookmark it. New laptop here not long ago.
  • That's a great site, @catch22. I had been using CNBC, but that one is nowhere as complete as yours. No self-respecting long-term, buy-and-hold investor should be without access to futures and overseas market prices at any hour of the day. LOL
  • Most here, if you're not operating a hedge fund; may have your own form of theoretical downside equity protection via some form of hopefully, productive high quality bonds. Presuming none of you had to cover big short positions in equity(s); bonds didn't do much this week to offer more support for a portfoio.
    We'll discover how the markets move along next week, eh?
    With this, I'll post the list again; which may give you a sense of how bonds within your holdings mix fared last week and YTD.
    JANUARY 29 WEEK / YTD .....Data M* performance
    --- AGG = +.05% / -.74% (widely used bond benchmark, mixed holdings)
    --- MINT = + .00% / +.08% (Pimco Enhanced short maturity, AAA-BBB rated)
    --- SHY = + .02% / +.02% (UST 1-3 yr bills)
    --- IEI = + .05% /-.28% (UST 3-7 yr notes/bonds)
    --- IEF = +.05% /-1.1% (UST 7-10 yr bonds)
    --- TIP = +.17% / +.27% (UST Tips, 3-10 yrs duration, some 20+ yr duration)
    --- LTPZ = +.21% / -1% (UST, long duration TIPs bonds
    --- TLT = +.08% /-3.6% (20+ Yr UST Bond
    --- EDV = +.27% / -4.7% (UST Vanguard extended duration bonds)
    --- ZROZ = +.09 /-5.4% (UST., AAA, long duration zero coupon bonds)
    --- BAGIX = +.05% / -.63 (active managed, plain vanilla, h.q. bond fund)
    ***Other, for reference, not AAA rated:
    --- HYG = -.38% / -.38% (high yield bonds, proxy ETF)
    --- LQD = -.07% / -1.8% (corp. bonds, various quality)

Have a good remainder.
    Catch
  • @catch22 - that Global markets futures page is a nice link. I usually bounce around between the Fidelity & Yahoo pages in the early morning. This one link is way better. Thanks.

Nice bond list too. I don't own a lot (any) bond funds outside of PIMCO so I just let them do my thinking there for me.
  • edited February 2021
    For our portfolio:
    We slowly added more VWO and mathew asia past few days/week.
    added GM & QQQ last wk
    401k 80/20 still. [all aboard full streams ahead]

-------------------------------------------------
    For Mama portfolio [retired] all new monies divs go to fidelity 2020 fund and BND FBND

In Texas ~ 25%s economy dependent on energy sectors. Maybe much more pains /sufferings ahead. we see at least 10% of shops small business/big business closing in our town near Austin. Hope we don't see more bankrupcies or see 1980s /2008s marketlike conditions [Main street issues overflow to Wall Streets]

Kind regards
    JNN
  • OT: Good to see you posting again @johnN! Hope you and your wife (and kids?) are well! Cheers
  • @catch22
    Great link. Thanks for sharing.