Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Can anyone please share if any of their Mut Fund holdings are in the green lately?

It seems that markets are dropping more and more every day and it seems more is coming. Can anyone please share if any of their Mut Fund holdings are in the green lately?

Comments

• Can you qualify what you mean by "lately"? The last year, YTD, last month, or the last week?

All of mine are in the green YTD apart from a couple.
  • Mav123 said:

It seems that markets are dropping more and more every day and it seems more is coming. Can anyone please share if any of their Mut Fund holdings are in the green lately?

Mav, you may know more about investing than me - if so I apologize for this suggestion - you need to get a copy of: https://www.etf.com/docs/IfYouCan.pdf and compare it to your plan/process.
  • My MMFs are up, short term, YTD, long term. I may die rich in a billion years.

With "cash alternative" funds like RPHYX, up 0.10% for the week, 0.14% for the past month, and 0.46% YTD, and "old faithfuls" like PRWCX, up 0.17% for the week, 1.85% for the past month, and 3.22% YTD, I suspect lots of people here have funds that are in the green.

According to M*'s screener, 1/4 of funds are up at least 3.77% over the past four weeks.

People tend to feel losses more severely than gains. That may explain your perception, which is not to say that major portions of the market have not dropped lately. Still, there are parts of the market, like international (e.g. VXUS) that are up for the week.

Personally, I don't look at individual funds' performance on a short term basis. I have a reasonably diversified portfolio, weatherproofed for down drafts, and usually just check overall performance.
  • edited March 2021
    Half of my mutual funds (5 out of 10) generated positive returns for one month, three months, and year to date.
    Number of funds with positive returns for each period: one month - 5, three months - 8, YTD - 8.
    My two intermediate-term bond funds have negative returns for all three periods.
    I don't pay much attention to short-term results since I tend to hold funds for the long-term.
  • Rbrt said:

Mav123 said:

Mav, you may know more about investing than me - if so I apologize for this suggestion - you need to get a copy of: https://www.etf.com/docs/IfYouCan.pdf and compare it to your plan/process.
    Yeah, right. I think the group here is the brightest group of people. This is why I'm here seeking the collective wisdom.
  • msf said:

People tend to feel losses more severely than gains. That may explain your perception, which is not to say that major portions of the market have not dropped lately. Still, there are parts of the market, like international (e.g. VXUS) that are up for the week.

Sorry to truncate your post, but this is the right statement. Does anyone here invest in dividend-producing portfolios? I also have a small position in PRWCX, like $1k, the rest $15k in cash. Curious, how do funds like PRWCX compare to holding exclusively dividend-paying stocks?
  • edited March 2021
    I'm rather certain that over the long haul, you'd have reaped more profit from PRWCX than dividend-paying stocks. For years, the big Canadian banks have been my alternative fantasy portfolio. 90% of deposits in Canada belong to those big banks. There are only 5 or 6 of them. High dividends. Low P/E ratios. I would not go to BMO Bank of Montreal now, after recently learning here of their unethical shenanigans toward investors. But the others? Yes. My two favorites are CM and BNS. You're holding 15K in cash? Maybe you're very, very risk averse? If you just want the assurance of investing in solid companies that are not going to fold up and go bankrupt, and you crave the dividend income, then go for it. Just don't forget never to put all your eggs in one basket. Eh? CIBC: https://www.morningstar.com/stocks/xnys/cm/quote
    Scotiabank: https://www.morningstar.com/stocks/xnys/bns/quote

But they are riding high, right now. EVERYTHING is riding high, or near all-time highs, even including the recent small (so far) drop-off. The Market's had a tremendous run-up since March of 2020. Wait for another pullback.
    :)
  • "...In the green lately?" I'll assume you mean year-to-date.
    BRUFX (Allocation fund, same category as PRWCX and DODBX, for example:) +5.59%
    PRDSX +5.38%. (Small-caps. Streaky, hot or cold.)

BONDS: PTIAX is my worst performer so far in 2021. It's down by -1.39%. I'm not worried.
  • edited March 2021
    Mine are all different colors. Here’s my guess as to what’s happening this year from watching markets .....

Mostly Green - energy, commodities, real estate, financials, very short duration bonds, deep value funds - the kind nobody’s wanted for several years. (For example, recent outcasts OAKBX and *DODBX are having great years.)

Mostly Red - Intermediate and longer duration bonds and bond funds, gold, aggressive growth funds - much loved in recent years.

Yellow - Moderate or conservative allocation funds: *ABRZX +1.61% YTD,
    *PRSIX +1.91% YTD

With exposure to just about everything above, my results this year have been quite colorful.:)

* Denotes a fund I own

• edited March 2021
    I agree with Hank on having different colors. Some of my best performing funds so far are BRSIX, BRUSX, WMICX, WAMVX, WSCVX, EVDAX (no load grandfathered) and BIVRX.
  • @Mav123 To your question: "Does anyone here invest in dividend-producing portfolios? "

Out of curiosity, I placed these 4 dividend oriented etf's against PRWCX.
    PRWCX , DVY, SCHD, VIG, SDY 5 year chart, total return

I do not suggest any of these are fully comparable in their methods or holdings; and I do not invest in any of these at this time. This list is a random selection of some dividend stock etf's.
    Ranked by assets, as of March 8 (S&P 500 yield as of March 9: 1.5%):

Note: PRWCX indicates a trailing 12 month yield of 1%

1. Vanguard Total Stock Market ETF (VTI), $214.5 billion in assets, 1.4% annualized yield.

2. Vanguard Dividend Appreciation ETF (VIG), $53 billion, 1.6%.

3. Vanguard High Dividend Yield ETF (VYM), $33.7 billion, 2.9%.

4. Schwab US Dividend Equity ETF (SCHD), $19.6 billion, 2.9%.

5. Vanguard Total World Stock ETF (VT), $18.3 billion, 1.6%.

6. SPDR S&P Dividend ETF (SDY), $17.9 billion, 2.6%.

7. iShares Select Dividend ETF (DVY), $16.7 billion, 3.2%.
  • @Mav123 - adding to @catch22's response I do invest in my own collection of a dividend 'growth' portfolio. It's composed primarily of dividend champions and aristocrats. I built it primarily for the income AND of stocks that I felt I would be comfortable holding forever. (Note: stuff happens so we both know that ain't true). It represents roughly 50% of my total portfolio.

Anyway, my portfolio has delivered that income and income growth in spades. It has also produced a comfortable total return BUT one has to be quite patient when selecting buy points. Also, I don't use any of the ETF's listed in catch's post nor any of the dividend focused mutual funds. The yields are too low and I don't like paying an ER when I can build my own fund, collect the income and pay myself.

I did hold a position in DGRO (iShares Dividend Growth) which I recently swapped for DIVO (Amplify CWP Enhanced Dividend Income). It's just a way for me to diversify the sources of the dividend income I collect by way of sector choices. I own no financial stocks and only one energy stock.
  • To hopefully make those with losses feel better, I’ll go the other way. Back in 2010 I became convinced that the housing bubble/financial crash was really a gasoline price driven event and that gasoline would immediately go back to $4/gal. And in the process oil companies would benefit, So I bought some shares in IXC and the Canadian small cap index CNDA. 10 years later, my IXC investment is still underwater. CNDA shuttered years ago.
  • edited March 2021
    @Mav123 If you sign up for a Morningstar Basic subscription, which is free, and go to "Fund Quickrank" and the "Short Term" tab you can see which funds have performed best in each category over the past day, week, month, three-months and six months: https://morningstar.com/funds/screener-rank
    That's probably easier and more useful than asking for individual anecdotes regarding a handful of funds that have done well recently.
  • edited March 2021

@Mav123 If you sign up for a Morningstar Basic subscription, which is free, and go to "Fund Quickrank" and the "Short Term" tab you can see which funds have performed best in each category over the past day, week, month, three-months and six months: https://morningstar.com/funds/screener-rank
    That's probably easier and more useful than asking for individual anecdotes regarding a handful of funds that have done well recently.

Thank you, LewisBraham for the tip. I also have free library access to their "Premium" services and have done a lot of analyzing last year. That time I came across, CPOAX, MACGX, and lately MSSMX (as in since the 2nd of January through mid-Feb, up 30%. Now in cash.

• Crash said:

I'm rather certain that over the long haul, you'd have reaped more profit from PRWCX than dividend-paying stocks. For years, the big Canadian banks have been my alternative fantasy portfolio. 90% of deposits in Canada belong to those big banks. There are only 5 or 6 of them. High dividends. Low P/E ratios. I would not go to BMO Bank of Montreal now, after recently learning here of their unethical shenanigans toward investors. But the others? Yes. My two favorites are CM and BNS. You're holding 15K in cash? Maybe you're very, very risk averse? If you just want the assurance of investing in solid companies that are not going to fold up and go bankrupt, and you crave the dividend income, then go for it. Just don't forget never to put all your eggs in one basket. Eh? CIBC: https://www.morningstar.com/stocks/xnys/cm/quote
    Scotiabank: https://www.morningstar.com/stocks/xnys/bns/quote

But they are riding high, right now. EVERYTHING is riding high, or near all-time highs, even including the recent small (so far) drop-off. The Market's had a tremendous run-up since March of 2020. Wait for another pullback.
    :)

Thank you, I'm on the same page with you about Canadian names, banks. For some reason, Canadian equities are more quality-oriented, and less P/E (less expensive).

As far as risk-averse,...timing is (may not be the best personal investment quality) I invested in MSSMX (as in since the 2nd of January through mid-Feb, up 30%). Now in cash.
  • Mark said:

@Mav123 - adding to @catch22's response I do invest in my own collection of a dividend 'growth' portfolio. It's composed primarily of dividend champions and aristocrats. I built it primarily for the income AND of stocks that I felt I would be comfortable holding forever. (Note: stuff happens so we both know that ain't true). It represents roughly 50% of my total portfolio.

Anyway, my portfolio has delivered that income and income growth in spades. It has also produced a comfortable total return BUT one has to be quite patient when selecting buy points. Also, I don't use any of the ETF's listed in catch's post nor any of the dividend focused mutual funds. The yields are too low and I don't like paying an ER when I can build my own fund, collect the income and pay myself.

I did hold a position in DGRO (iShares Dividend Growth) which I recently swapped for DIVO (Amplify CWP Enhanced Dividend Income). It's just a way for me to diversify the sources of the dividend income I collect by way of sector choices. I own no financial stocks and only one energy stock.

Thank you for the performance comparison and composition of your portfolio, 50% in dividend companies. I held DIVO since late last year and sold it, it just wasn't moving, sideways or down.
  • edited March 2021
    catch22 said:

@Mav123 To your question: "Does anyone here invest in dividend-producing portfolios? "

Out of curiosity, I placed these 4 dividend oriented etf's against PRWCX.
    PRWCX , DVY, SCHD, VIG, SDY 5 year chart, total return FYI, I thought you could open the link, but you will have to plug the tickers manually (or become a premium member).

I do not suggest any of these are fully comparable in their methods or holdings; and I do not invest in any of these at this time. This list is a random selection of some dividend stock etf's.

Ranked by assets, as of March 8 (S&P 500 yield as of March 9: 1.5%):

Note: PRWCX indicates a trailing 12 month yield of 1%

1. Vanguard Total Stock Market ETF (VTI), $214.5 billion in assets, 1.4% annualized yield.

2. Vanguard Dividend Appreciation ETF (VIG), $53 billion, 1.6%.

3. Vanguard High Dividend Yield ETF (VYM), $33.7 billion, 2.9%.

4. Schwab US Dividend Equity ETF (SCHD), $19.6 billion, 2.9%.

5. Vanguard Total World Stock ETF (VT), $18.3 billion, 1.6%.

6. SPDR S&P Dividend ETF (SDY), $17.9 billion, 2.6%.

7. iShares Select Dividend ETF (DVY), $16.7 billion, 3.2%.

Thank you, Catch22. Now, we are talking .. calculated comparison.
    I live stockcharts very much, have been with them for 4 yrs. the chart you showed, I still didn't know existed, thank you for pointing out. I use RRG tool https://stockcharts.com/freecharts/rrg/?s=prwcx,divo,dvy,schd,vig,sdy&b=$SPX&p=w&y=1&t=5&f=tail,d

This is how I was able to narrow in to MSSMX in time. Now...what we can also do is add these to portfoliovisualizer. , free or get 2 weeks free trial and see beta and sortino ratios. DVY has been leading lately according to RRG (SCHD is leading too.) Rotation is taking place to dividend payers, lately. image https://ibb.co/x8znYQq
  • @Mav123
    PV MFO discussion link
    In the middle of this page link, you'll find a reply from bee to Mark, dated Jan. 16. The more important part of this for you and PV, is to click the link at the bottom left (named, PV Link here).

This PV page is already set with 3 funds by others, however; scroll down 1/2 of the page and you find a list of TABS. Summary is the default setting you'll see. Select the "metrics" tab for these 3 funds and you will find a lot of data, including beta and sortino ratios.
    This is the "free" PV, so you should not need a trial or subscription, unless there is something else you are trying to discover.

I am slightly familiar with PV, and have used it several times; but I don't know all of the bells and whistles.

At the search box that is at the top right of this page, place pv for a search. You will find a few other items (fund tickers), but you will also find other pages regarding PV....keep going with the next button at the page bottom.

Pillow time here.
  • I'll interpret "lately" to mean 1 Week, 1 Month and YTD.
    If we were to consider "Total Return 12 months", everything looks fantastic, since the whole market was bouncing off the bottom.

A couple of mine that have done okay (1 Week, 1 Month and YTD)
    FISMX (+0.66%, +3.29%, +8.75%)
    FLPSX (+0.27%, +5.89%, +13.94%)

David
  • @dstone42 that stinkin FLPSX is having a break out YTD. Sold it a few years ago. I believe Fidelity Equity Income is strong too and thankfully FSMAX.
  • edited March 2021
    catch22 said:

@Mav123
    PV MFO discussion link
    In the middle of this page link, you'll find a reply from bee to Mark, dated Jan. 16. The more important part of this for you and PV, is to click the link at the bottom left (named, PV Link here).

This PV page is already set with 3 funds by others, however; scroll down 1/2 of the page and you find a list of TABS. Summary is the default setting you'll see. Select the "metrics" tab for these 3 funds and you will find a lot of data, including beta and sortino ratios.
    This is the "free" PV, so you should not need a trial or subscription, unless there is something else you are trying to discover.

I am slightly familiar with PV, and have used it several times; but I don't know all of the bells and whistles.

At the search box that is at the top right of this page, place pv for a search. You will find a few other items (fund tickers), but you will also find other pages regarding PV....keep going with the next button at the page bottom.

Pillow time here.

Yes, Thank you, Catch22. I've used PV extensively last summer, especially so their "Optimization" page, under "Tools" on the top bar. I've used "Mean Variance--Max return subject to' and the next row select "Targeted Annual Volatility." Pretty useful tool. However, what I'd discovered is the shortfall of all these Optimizations and Backtesting tools is the look back. I use the tools, but always with that shortfall in my mind. Mut Funds' managers change, companies change with their market capture and innovation strategies. I try to align a manager's tenure with the "look back" period. If a manager started 2 yrs ago, I backtest/optimize to 2 yrs.

To be realistic a strategy (a trading strategy) needs a walk forward feature. TradeStation has it and it's free. I'm trying to dive into the EasyLaanguage. Even though I may not "live" trade a strategy, I could have TS generate signals based on multiple criteria that I could decide if they're valid.

My apologies, as I may be talking off point of this forum as it is geared to buy and hold investors. I'm just trying to "smooth out" speedbumps along my investment journey.