Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Announcements - Dismiss (Undismiss/Restore?)

When MFO Discussions is opened, there are 4 Announcements at the top and the Setting-wheel offers the choice to "Dismiss". Being the curious type, I clicked on that on some to see what happens and those items have disappeared from the top of my list. Now I would like to restore those but there isn't any "Undismiss/Restore" click on those items (I have just Bookmarked them for now). How to I go back? @chip ? Curiously, when I open MFO-Discussions from an unsigned browser, I still see all 4 items.

Comments

• When MFO Discussions is opened, there are 4 Announcements at the top and the Setting-wheel offers the choice to "Dismiss". Being the curious type, I clicked on that on some to see what happens and those items have disappeared from the top of my list. Now I would like to restore those but there isn't any "Undismiss/Restore" click on those items (I have just Bookmarked them for now). How to I go back? @chip ? Curiously, when I open MFO-Discussions from an unsigned browser, I still see all 4 items.

Your last comment makes me think I would try clearing any cookies if I was in your situation.
  • Chrome allows selective cookies removal. So, I removed all "mutualfundobserver" cookies, and that logged me out, but when I logged back in, it still didn't restore the missing Announcements.
    So, good suggestion, and should have worked, but didn't.
  • edited November 2021
    I dismissed one of the four announcements (November Commentary is live!) under the 'Discussions' heading.
    After doing this, I searched in vain for a way to restore this announcement.

I signed out of MFO without clearing my cookies or restarting Firefox.
    I accessed MFO without signing in and the dismissed announcement was visible under 'Discussions'.
    After signing in via Firefox, the announcement disappeared.

I signed out using Firefox and accessed MFO via Edge without signing in.
    The dismissed announcement was visible under 'Discussions' but it disappeared after I signed in using Edge.
    This doesn't appear to be a cookie issue and may be related to some user profile setting(s) on the MFO site.

The original post for this dismissed announcement was created in the 'Fund Discussions' category.
    I can still view it there and it remains tagged as an announcement.

• edited November 2021
    That is precisely my experience. I don't see dismissed Announcements at the top on login, but see them at the top without login; feature is like Sticky or Pin at other sites but those cannot be altered by readers, only by their creator or administrators. And clearing cookies didn't restore them, so it is not a cookie issue.

So, I just searched for the dismissed Announcements and Bookmarked them. But why the Dismiss option is even there? Normally, options toggle (ON/OFF), but this one doesn't. If a filler is needed under that Setting-wheel, it could just say Hello instead (-:).
  • So, I just searched for the dismissed Announcements and Bookmarked them. But why the Dismiss option is even there? Normally, options toggle (ON/OFF), but this one doesn't. If a filler is needed under that Setting-wheel, it could just say Hello instead (-:).

Yes, this seems like a bug!

• From the Vanilla Website under Configuration:
    Sitewide Messages
    Dismissable: If toggled on, logged in users can dismiss the message (it will no longer display for them). It will continue to display for Guests and users who don't dismiss it.
    ✔️ TIP: When a sitewide message has been dismissed by a user, it will never display to that user again. Because of this, we recommend not making important messages dismissible.
    It appears the choice to dismiss can be disabled by the administrator of the site but, once dismissed, cannot be reversed by the user.