Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Any GREEN today

Only one I own SVAAX up +.34%

Comments

• BRK.B up .45
  • edited January 2022
    NICHX up 0.04% I own BRK.B and LSYN which was up 13.76%. But yea lotsa red in my portfolio too.
  • stayCalm said:

NICHX up 0.04%

Wish that this fund was accessible to us average joes.

• MRK up 1.46%
  • @JD_co
    I just learned about IQDAX today. I sure hope NICHX does not turn out to be another IQDAX!
  • It was a good day to be long value and short growth. BIVRX was up 4.1%.
  • I was up in my PFIE(1.75%) and DLA(0.63%) positions but down more than 5% in FC in which I have a sizable stake for an individual stock.
  • edited January 2022
    XLE was down barely, only 0.02%, which means a bunch of its constituents would be positive and they are. Probably same with XLU, XLP, & XLB - all down less than 0.10. For a tough day in equities, VIX rose only 2.82 and closed < 20.
  • RIO +1.76% / TAIL +.45%
  • INTC, ABBV, HRL & PEP. In my fund holdings the closest I come to green was in IOFIX -0.08% or a penny.
  • edited January 2022
    Hussman!
  • @AndyJ - How long have you owned Hussman? HSGFX?
  • edited January 2022
    @Hank, I don't own it; did own HSTRX about 12 years ago for a while. A friend owns HSAFX now and isn't too unhappy with it, but you know what they say about a stopped clock.

But then the best I did yesterday was zero from NVHAX, EIXIX, and PQTAX.
  • edited January 2022
    Thanks much @AndyJ.

Yeah - I owned HSGFX & HSTRX about the same time as you, along with others here. I’ve considered diving into one or the other. But - Ughh …. !

He’s been quoted lately as extremely bearish. No doubt he has the fund positioned in that direction.
    Fido assesses a $49.95 purchase fee. Also, there’s an early withdrawal fee on Huss’s funds out to 60 days.
  • @Hank, oh yeah, forgot about the 60d early withdrawal fee, for sure a buzz kill, for anyone who feels the buzz of Huss. Those used to be a lot more common than they are now - so many families have dropped them.
  • Huss has been bearish for a loooong time! When was he last not bearish? I owned his funds many moons ago too but finally departed. Very much a broken clock right twice a day situation.
    hank said:

Thanks much @AndyJ.

Yeah - I owned HSGFX & HSTRX about the same time as you, along with others here. I’ve considered diving into one or the other. But - Ughh …. !

He’s been quoted lately as extremely bearish. No doubt he has the fund positioned in that direction.
    Fido assesses a $49.95 purchase fee. Also, there’s an early withdrawal fee on Huss’s funds out to 60 days.

• Hussman's newer fund HSAFX seems to be a better, more stable fund than the older HSGFX, holding its own during both upturns and downturns.
  • edited January 2022
    If only I received a dollar for every one of Hussman's bearish calls, I'd be filthy rich!
  • So true. I would rather stay in money market and get a guarantee loss of 2% to inflation. At least I am not buy Hussman a yacht.
  • What has been working for me this week are my financials: BAC, WFC, GS, AXP, and AMP. Also a low volatility value etf -- CDC. But Ive been getting killed on the growth side MSFT, HD, BIAWX, MIOPX,BGSAX. I'm likely to trim back on my growth funds in near term to add some more to value. Not sure of timing. Tough market.....
  • Oh forgot one. Smead value has done quite well too. Heavy in banks and energy.
  • MikeW +1 Value this week ,growth =ouch !
  • Smead Value was up 2.4% over the last week, COWZ 0.82%; the rest of the portfolio not so great. The weakness in healthcare really hurt (and surprised) me: BHCFX and RYH took it on the chin.
  • edited January 2022
    VIX was down 4.33% and closed at 18.76 today. It did not close below that level in December in the first 21 calendar days. And in 2022, it has not closed at 20 or above. Somehow the stock and bond market feels worse for everybody in 2022 than in December 2021. Is it the expectations gap / surprises in the market?
  • @MikeW...so we all can play at home Smead Value seems to have a number of flavors

SMVLX being one, is there a better share class?
  • @bee: there are 7 share classes, but the 2 main ones are SMVLX and SVFAX. I own the latter, the A shares sold NLNTF at Schwab. MFO Premium has the nice feature of listing all share classes, but M* seems not to.
  • edited January 2022
    The various share classes are listed when you use the "old" M* fund site and click the Purchase tab.
    Link