Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Comments

• edited May 2022
    Little change in markets initially. One bank I own fell some. Hard to say why. Rising rates help banks. But slowing economies are a negative for them. Gold and other metals have been weak all day - a bit of a trend lately.

Carnival atmosphere on Bloomberg today. Pundits galore! Reminiscent of Macy’s Thanksgiving parade. :)
  • hank said:

Little change in markets initially. One bank I own fell some. Hard to say why. Rising rates help banks. But slowing economies are a negative for them. Gold and other metals have been weak all day - a bit of a trend lately.

Carnival atmosphere on Bloomberg today. Pundits galore! Reminiscent of Macy’s Thanksgiving parade. :)

I never watch finp0rn on fed day.....it's mostly blather, bluster, and time-filling nonsense. For that matter, I rarely do anything in the markets in the first hour following, unless I want to use volatility to buy stuff.

As a futures trader, FOMC days used to be fun, but I'm long out of that world now.
  • edited May 2022
    Bounce baby. Bounce!

The more JP talks (press conference ) the hotter the market …..
  • NOTES from Statement(s) and press conference

Factors of concerns include high inflation, supply-chain disruptions, Russia-Ukraine war, Covid-19 spread in China.

+50 bps hike to 0.75-1.00% fed fund range. Possible +50 bps hikes at 2 next FOMC meetings; +75 bps hikes ruled out for now.

Rate of 0.90% for bank reserves held at the Fed (banks like to lend money out at higher rate, but keep excess money at the Fed).

QT/roll-offs for Treasuries at -$30 billion/mo from June-August, -$60 billion/mo from September; MBS -$17.5 billion/mo from June-August, -$35 billion/mo from September. Effects of balance sheet shrinkage are uncertain but they amount to additional and indirect rate hikes.

Job market is very strong.

Keeping 2% target for inflation for long-term.

Fed policy will remain accommodative to neutral, not restrictive; Paul Volcker's very restrictive policy came up in Q&A several times but anything like that isn't anticipated. Current policy has been working good through expectations (= talking).

https://ybbpersonalfinance.proboards.com/post/614/thread
  • When you expect Armageddon it bounces 900 points
    Can never tell/time this crazy environment
  • edited May 2022
    johnN +1 A day late with my dry powder buy !
    " Is it possible that to many investor thought this to be a buy day & drove the market higher ? Tomorrow is another day & we'll see what happens.
  • edited May 2022
    Friends added soxl tsla fngu lots tech
    I added brk.b Amazon tsla and vang2055 past few 7d along with Ford bonds

Cpa Merrill edge advisor told me 3d ago

Maybe soft landing prob 5-10% more down lots volatility next 4 8 wks but he does not see large recession

Prob have rally by fall winter

Expect banks commodities techs cryptos energy do well next 6 12 months

He is 58 years old...70% stocks 30% bonds fix income will retire 7 8 yrs

Personally i think could be large resistance sp500 ~3960 next 4- 10 days -if breaks may go 3700....maybe bloody red summer