Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

FKIQX

Any opinions regarding Franklin Income Fund? It appears to be doing as well as PMEFX and better than VWINX.

Comments

• Franklin Income (FKIQX /FKINX /FRIAX) is one of those misclassified funds as conservative-allocation/30-50%. But when its equities and bonds (including HY, convertibles) are accounted for, it acts more like moderate-allocation/50-70%. When properly compared (e.g. to VWELX, not VWINX), it doesn't do so well.
  • Whether it falls in 30-50% or 50-70% allocation, it is doing well through all the ups and downs of the market this year.
  • Good SO FAR if you are a holder.

PRWCX has done well too.

DODBX too - with its new longs & some shorts strategy.

But be aware of risks of your holdings. As I noted in a nearby thread, recently among bonds, corporates have done the worst & HY the best. That is NOT typical (as HY & stocks have high correlation) . Some point to the relative strength in HY as the underlying strength in the market, or they may rollover in their typical way.
  • Not a holder of this fund, but do use it as a comparison fund. I have vwinx and pmefx as my largest positions in the 30-50% allocation funds..