Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Futures

Looking nicely green across the board ! Will they get greener , or stay green is the question.

Comments

• edited May 2022
    Inflation report at 8:30. Some traders are trying to anticipate how that might affect Fed policy going forward (and therefore stocks).

Currently Dow futures +1%. Gold up 0.50% in pre market. Silver up nearly 1.50%.
  • edited May 2022
    Derf said:

Looking nicely green across the board ! Will they get greener , or stay green is the question.

As of 0841, nope. Dow -190 Naz -148....

• edited May 2022
    I’m seeing green (for a change).

Added - It’s not helping ARKK and those type stocks one bit. Long suffering continues.
  • hank said:

I’m seeing green (for a change).

Yeah major reversals this morning .. both ways!
  • Watching this market try to get its footing is like watching the town wino attempt to ride a skateboard.
  • edited May 2022
    JD_co said:

Watching this market try to get its footing is like watching the town wino attempt to ride a skateboard.

Yes - An utter waste of time unless you’re seriously considering an imminent buy or sell.

Re Mr. Market - Went from green early (when @Derf posted) … to red … to green … and back to red. I think what’s been happening for quite some days now is that investors are trying to cut recent losses by selling winners when they jump a bit. They’re taking small gains whenever and wherever they can. That tends to put a cap on how far the market can advance and leads to late day downturns.

My perspective is that a good company … is a good company is …. So, unless you grossly overpaid for a company (either directly or thru a fund) you’ll come out just fine. If the heat bothers you, it’s time to vacate the kitchen and move into cash / cash proxies. Most of the posters here, however, appear to be long-term investors and have their heads screwed on straight.
  • I tried adjusting my head this morning but the threads seem stripped. I'll try WD-40 and see what happens...
  • edited May 2022
    Hi Sirs:

Or try
    Brandy
    SCOTCH
    Wild turkey
    Works VERY well in this market

Friend A loss -530k last 4-5D
    Friend B -350k after all in w Luna crypto over weekend

Few committed suicide in other country per news

Headline tomorrow:
    60% crypto traders bankrupted
    80% stress depressed
    1% contemplating suicide

Lucky I got out cryptos and options 6 wks ago
    Still down lots for 6 months
  • edited May 2022
    Notice how @Derf jinxed the day with his optimistic early morning market report? :)

A one-page story by James Thurber sums it up nicely: “Don’t count your boobies until they are hatched.”

Once upon a sunny morning a man who sat in a breakfast nook looked up from his scrambled eggs to see a white unicorn with a gold horn quietly cropping the roses in the garden. The man went up to the bedroom where his wife was still asleep and woke her. "There's a unicorn in the garden," he said.

Link
  • LOL !! +1
  • johnN said:

Hi Sirs:

Or try
    Brandy
    SCOTCH
    Wild turkey
    Works VERY well in this market

Friend A loss -530k last 4-5D
    Friend B -350k after all in w Luna crypto over weekend

Few committed suicide in other country per news

Headline tomorrow:
    60% crypto traders bankrupted
    80% stress depressed
    1% contemplating suicide

Lucky I got out cryptos and options 6 wks ago
    Still down lots for 6 months

Crypto is one area that I feel fairly certain will recover and I'm buying more with each daily crash. There is no fundamental reason for the sell off, sold by those who should not have bought in the first place. I'm not sure which crypto vehicle will prevail, only that the technology and concept is here to stay. Using BITQ to make my bet.
  • @wxman123: that is some serious confidence in BITQ. I hope you get rewarded.
  • i am staying away from cripto ....may not worth all headaches and stress imho
  • BenWP said:

@wxman123: that is some serious confidence in BITQ. I hope you get rewarded.

It is literally the bet I feel most confident in as regards risk versus reward at the moment. People really misunderstand this space. I am NOT saying that any particular crypto will do great, though bitcoin has many advantages as one of the first/largest, but the tech is here forever, IMO. I think crypto may be leading the market, up and down these days.
  • edited May 2022
    Tsla may moon today; making new 18wheelers

US Dollar Rsi 80 earlier yesterday, severely overbought...maybe good time get back/ shifts toward US stocks at least short terms

Stock Futures sky high

Uncle Powell speaks later in afternoon hope everything already priced in

• edited May 2022
    Fed Hawker speech yesterday. Housing start today. Canada CPI. Cisco Target earning both down

Futures sp500 -0.7%

Buffert maybe laughing and getting out his check books getting ready to buy again