Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Proposed SEC trading rules could kill Robinhood and others

Comments

• edited June 2022
    Fine by me.

I loathe ZH's partisan nonsense most of the time, but the subject line gives it away: "SEC Preparing Historic Overhaul Of Market Structure, Making Retail Frontrunning Virtually Impossible" Oh, noes!!!! We can't prey and profit off of the little people anymore!!!! WOMP-WOMP!

The average retail person doesn't give a hoot if they pay a fraction of a cent more or less for something. It's only HFTs, algos, and gamblers playing in large volumes that would be 'hurt' by this.

Commish-free trading is fine, but that's a direct result of pay-for-order-flow which led to increased gambling (eg, GME and other meme stocks). If we go back to paying $1-5 per trade, I for one won't complain -- if anything, it'll give more people pause before they pull the trigger on something.
  • Others (WSJ, Bloomberg, Reuters) are also reporting the same news but require payment-for-news-flow (-:). Besides ZH, here is another open source,
    https://www.marketwatch.com/story/sec-closes-in-on-rules-that-could-reshape-how-u-s-stock-market-operates-11654607138?link=MW_latest_news
  • ZH clearly has a "partisan nonsense" problem, among others, but I know how to scroll past clickbait to find other posts worth reading. This was one of those.
  • ZH clearly has a "partisan nonsense" problem, among others, but I know how to scroll past clickbait to find other posts worth reading. This was one of those.

Agreed. Good find!
  • The news is widely reported. Try this.
    Beware that ZH is Russian-tilted site. Many old posters here avoid it.