Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Abuse of MFO

edited September 2012 in Off-Topic
It seems to me that MFO is supposed to be about mutual funds and closely related subjects. Why are we tolerating long tedious subjects like security issues on the mutual fund pages instead of the technical or other issues pages?

Comments

• edited September 2012
    If you click the Fund Discussions Category - you should only see fund discussions.

Have you found a discussion in the wrong category @Alex?

off-topic - off-topic discussions. David has been kind enough to allow this category for those of us who have been friends for years on this forum and its predecessor and gives us a chance to present some off-topic info to our friends and the community.

As far as the One long tedious discussion topic on security. It is in off-topic and is not a technical question. It is just one tedious discussion isn't it. Not multiple tedious discussion topics. Alex, I'll gladly stop posting things there if that is your idea of abuse. Alternatively, you could stop clicking on that "one" annoying topical discussion that is in off-topic.

technical questions - for technical questions.

kindly point out the discussion that is posted in the wrong topic category.

David may have other opinions, this is purely my personal opinion.

• edited September 2012
    If you have an problem with a particular post, you have the option to "flag" it, stating your objection and bringing it to the attention of the administrators. As Accipiter has said, the administrators have indicated that they prefer a long leash rather than a short one. As he has also mentioned, you can easily ignore the Off-Topic discussion group if you so desire.. see the User Guide, under "Resources", to find more on this.

Your point is well taken, however: if the situation were to be frequently abused, the site would become less valuable to mutual fund investors. In my opinion, the more-frequent members of the forum come nowhere close to such abuse.

Also realize that the administrators visit and review the site on a regular basis, if not daily.
  • edited September 2012
    Good Evening,
    I do not find anything at this time, that I would consider abuse of MFO and its format. This is also a community of members; many of whom, have had 1,000's of discussions long before my arrival. This is the most civil and abiding investment site, of which I am aware.
    Now, back to Part 3 of Shogun; to observe some perhaps embellished, but none the less, view another era of global history and trade. Not surprisingly, the scope of mankind; with the evil and the good has not changed much since 1598.
    Regards,
    Catch
  • Hey there- I surely liked Shogun myself. Happy reading!
  • edited September 2012
    @catch22 said
    >Not surprisingly, the scope of mankind; with the evil and the good has not changed much since 1598.
    nor has tolerance:)
  • Hi Old_Joe,
    Actually, we are watching the tv mini-series from 1982; being run without commercials, on a cable channel.
    Good Evening,
    Catch
  • Hi Accipiter,

Agree..............
  • My apologies to those of you who pointed out my error. I believe the problem is traceable to the fact that for some reason, when I logged on to MFO today, I was required to again give my user name and password. This happens periodically. When I finally got logged on, I clicked on "discussions" which usually takes me directly to the funds section. I did not realize that I was on the "all discussions" board, which brought up this page. Partly my bad and partly the MFO requiring me to behave like a new visitor and create a new user name and password. Perhaps this continuing problem can be solved?
  • Reply to @Alex: You do not need to create a new user each time. If you are logged off, log back on with the same user name and password you used before. Also, you need to accept cookies from this site. Otherwise, you will be required to log in again and again.
  • Reply to @Alex: Try Investor's suggestion, and if you continue to have problems please make a note (post) under the technical questions section so that it can be checked out. The administrators depend on all members to let them know if something does not appear to be working as expected.

Sometimes procedures are not all that obvious or intuitive, and we are making a major effort to explain those sorts of things in the new User Guide. If you are experiencing difficulty, you can bet that others are too, so letting us know is a real service to the community.

Thanks...
  • Reply to @Investor: Thank you for your suggestion, but I checked the box "keep me signed in" and it works until it does not. I log on several times a week and it works fine. &%$#@*
  • Reply to @Alex: Make sure your browser accept cookies. Also, some "cleaning" tools or security software (adware blocking, anti-virus, etc) may be deleting these after your browser session is ended. Also, if you log out yourself your cookie will be gone as well.

Basically, if your cookie is not there you will be automatically logged out. The cookie from this site is valid for 30 days and you will have to logon again.

You need to investigate on your own computer why the cookie is going missing. This is really not a site problem.