Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Here’s the latest YTD numbers from Bloomberg - 3 major indexes gain / loss

edited September 2022 in Other Investing
End of day, Wednesday 9/21

YTD:

Dow Jones -16.94%

S&P 500 -20.48%

NASDAQ -28.28%

One fund to report - According to CNBC, ARKK is off -57.35%YTD and -65.56% for 1 year. Posted not to dump on Cathie, but to provide some perspective - ie: to show how much highly speculative, highly leveraged stocks have lost this year.

Comments

• Bloodbath throughout today
    Maybe more bloodbaths tomorrow- futures bright red

No support- seller bears market, multiple support levels broke today - waterfall

Probably holding patterns for us - no buying, wait for storms to pass
  • And BND (Vanguard Total Bond Market EFT) is down -12.57% YTD.

BND
  • hank said:

One fund to report - According to CNBC, ARKK is off -57.35%YTD and -65.56% for 1 year. Posted not to dump on Cathie, but to provide some perspective - ie: to show how much highly speculative, highly leveraged stocks have lost this year.

Highly speculative, but not highly leveraged. At least for now:
    Currently, ARK's ETFs do not use any leverage. ARK ETFs aim to offer a moderate-to-high risk-reward profile, while leverage has the potential to increase volatility.
    https://helpcenter.ark-funds.com/do-the-ark-etfs-use-any-leverage

Now if you really want to talk about leveraging, there's ARK3 (ARKK 3x leverage).
    It started the year at $4.164, and is now selling for 12.48¢. You do the arithmetic; it's too depressing.
    https://finance.yahoo.com/quote/ARK3.L?p=ARK3.L
  • While the debate continues on whether the mid-June lows would hold for major indexes, the Transportation index today was below, and the DJIA barely above. Strange that more volatile Nasdaq Comp and SC R2000 are comfortably above.

So, if the futures get worse, tomorrow's news may be that the DJIA broke below its mid-June low.
  • edited September 2022
    I know ARKK doesn’t use leverage (Thank the Lord!)

I was using the term to describe the companies ARKK owns which rely on heavy borrowing to stay afloat. Perhaps wrong choice of words.

… So, if the futures get worse, tomorrow's news may be that the DJIA broke below its mid-June low.

Like the old Broadway hit - “Anything goes.”

Double these numbers down wouldn’t surprise me before it’s all over - with herd mentality being what it is. Strikes me the Fed is using the age-old medical practice of killing the patient to cure the disease.
    :)

Any day now the DJI will close below 30,000 / Many will take note. Some will panic.
  • edited September 2022
    No wonder why Woods screaming ****rate halt ...deflation*** past few wks. She maybe couple months early

So many folks lost $$ these days

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/she-never-explained-anything-im-a-senior-citizen-and-i-lost-100-000-in-the-stock-market-this-year-can-i-sue-my-financial-adviser-11663719152?mod=quentin-fottrell

Dear Quentin,
    I am a senior citizen and have suffered major losses to the tune of $100,000 in the recent stock market turmoil. Can I sue my financial adviser? I understand the dynamics of the market as far as its ups and downs, and have ridden them out before.

However, it’s been different with the market in this timeframe insofar as tech stocks are taking a major hit, as well as others. I advised my financial adviser I was heading into retirement months before all of this happened.

As my account was taking losses, she did nothing to warn me that given the current situation it might be a good idea to move my assets to another area to lessen the losses — and return at a later date when things have stabilized.