Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Pro Publica report on Warren Buffett's personal account

This article was published by Pro Publica yesterday and then featured on CNBC. So far, Buffett and Berkshire have not commented on it. It would be surprising if they don't comment at all. It might all be kosher but it would be painful to see many people's investment Gandalf be on the wrong side of ethics. I hope he has a good explanation but I'd be curious to see what details are offered up.

https://www.propublica.org/article/warren-buffett-privately-traded-stocks-berkshire-hathaway-ethics-irs

Comments

• edited November 2023
    deleted
  • edited November 2023
    It’s not like Buffett needs the money. But stranger things have happened. I predict he will be exonerated of any wrongdoing. (My predictions are correct 49% of the time.)
  • None of us are clean. But standards, at least, must be maintained. Standards, not just appearances.
  • Just another one of those rich people who are beyond the world I live in and pretty much can do whatever they want. Some people like some of them. I kinda like this one. I don't know much about otherworld ethics, admittedly.
  • Pro Publica is a gem of an organization. I see they've spruced up their website lately. They have a Nonprofit Explorer database with financial info from essentially every nonprofit that's filed an IRS info return (a 990, not the "postcard" return for very small organizations), a handy thing to check out if you're considering giving to a nonprofit that's new to you.