Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

January 28 - Anniversary of 1986 Challenger Accident Killing 7 Astronauts

edited January 28 in Off-Topic
Suppose anyone who was alive at the time remembers where they were, what they were doing and how they learned of this horrific tragedy. A solemn day for sure. Temperatures in the 20s the night before along the Florida space-coast were a contributor. Bad engineering / quality control and inept launch / pre-launch decision-making were determined as the ultimate causes. Unlike today, this was a time of relative unity in our nation and pride in its accomplishments - none more symbolic of those achievements than the space shuttle program (editorializing mine).

Note: This links to Accu-Weather. I always “acknowledge / accept” their ”cookie policy” and then immediately clear my cache when finished. Others may choose to avoid site or employ other safeguards to prevent tracking.

https://www.accuweather.com/en/space-news/how-record-setting-cold-contributed-to-the-space-shuttle-challenger-disaster-on-jan-28-1986/337486

Comments

• I was at school in Spokane. I watched it over and over, in disbelief. We lost 7 of the best and the brightest. Some involved in the decision to launch (or not) were in fact raising alarm bells. They were ignored.
  • Yes, massive disbelief. I think it was heartbreaking for the nation as a whole. The teacher in space pre-launch buildup generated a lot of interest IIRC.