Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Plain-Vanilla S&P 500 Index Funds Are Out. Here’s What In. (Barrons)

edited January 29 in Fund Discussions
”Much of last year’s 26% gain in the SPDR S&P 500 exchange-traded fund was due to the stellar performance of the Magnificent Seven —the mostly tech-stock behemoths that are the index’s biggest holdings. … Equal-weight strategies take a democratic view of the market, giving equal weight to each component. Reshuffling the S&P 500 that way relegates each company to a 0.2% slice of the index, tilting it to value-oriented and mid-to-smaller-cap stocks and away from large-cap growth.”

Excerpt from Barron’s / January 29

Article by Debbie Carlson

Barron’s - Current Issue (Subscription may be required, but give link a try.)

Comments

• ”Much of last year’s 26% gain in the SPDR S&P 500 exchange-traded fund was due to the stellar performance of the Magnificent Seven —the mostly tech-stock behemoths that are the index’s biggest holdings. … " (taken from @hank post above)

That concerns me as well at this time inasmuch as 30% of the S&P's valuation is in just those 7 stocks. Seems nuts! Or at least due for a correction at some point but I don't know when.

Anyway it has caused me to look at other stocks outside those 7 and in the past 2 weeks I have picked up shares of some out-of-favor blue chips that have been hard-kicked to the curb recently (ADM, MMM & PFE). They will remain on short leashes for the foreseeable future.

Otherwise I continue to look for opportunities in different ETF's I currently own. All seem to be hanging around their 52-wk highs and I'm not confident enough to think that they will continue to go higher.
  • I have 18% of portfolio in 7 stocks. They are PH,GD,NVDA,AVGO,ORLY and COST. My magnificent seven.
  • Look at equal-weight funds - SP500 RSP, tech RSPT, energy RSPG, Nasdaq 100 QQEW, etc.

There are equal-weight versions of most sector ETFs.
    https://ybbpersonalfinance.proboards.com/post/1097/thread
  • edited January 30
    Is today’s market rational and so relies on the Magnificent Seven stocks ? Equal weight RSP, lagged S&P 500 by a wide margin last several years. Will the tide turn this year but I hope so?

@Art, NDNA NVDA, NVIDIA is one of the Magnificent Seven stock. At least you did not pick TSLA.
  • edited January 30
    MAGS is an ETF holding only those names, btw....decent volume, too. Kinda equal-weighty but it's hard with these names.
  • @Sven - I think that you meant NVDA in your response to Art
  • @Mark, thank you. I corrected my post.