Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

frozen markets, range-bound

edited February 19 in Other Investing
Range-bound. That's where my portfolio is. 54 stocks, 37 bonds 7 cash.
Just thought I'd mention it. Getting impatient. Tonight, I'm sitting just off my OLD high-point, at the start of '22, before the interest rate hikes. Financials, Energy, Tech and Healthcare are where I'm most concentrated. In that order. Bonds have come up, yes. But not "so'z you'd notice."

I really don't want to pile into a horrifically crowded tech-trade right now. Arm, A.I., Facebook, Google, Amazon. And some of my stuff is holding WFC as a top holding. Makes me want to gag. Criminal suck-bag banksters. All of the huge banks are that way.

Interest rate cuts will help. Earnings have pretty much been coming in hot for 4Q '23. Still not much of a difference in MY portfolio. Stinky poopy. Meanwhile, tempus fugit.
---End---

Comments

• edited February 9
    I'm not much different @Crash. Up just slightly from the 2022 high, but on a positive note, up about 15% from the 2022 low. Bottom line, 2022 sucked.

Up about 1.6% YTD with a similar to you combined 45% equity stake. I'd like to think 2024 will be decent. Good luck to all us old(er) guys.
  • Range bound indeed. Tech, and particularly the Mag7, seems to be the only trade investors are interested in (chasing). I'm personally not interested because I believe valuations are stretched although they could certainly go higher. The current level(s) of interest rates and or distributions from my positions leave me comfortable with my holdings while I wait out the markets direction.

I do own a significant amount of tech but these days it seems hard not to. Tech is everywhere and it's hard to avoid it whether it's in the financial sector, agriculture, industrials & manufacturing and so on and so forth. Nearly everyone and everything wants chips, semiconductors, software, automation. Interesting times.
  • @Mark: you are right. Even so-called value dividend funds have some of the Mag 7 in the top 10 holdings. Unless you own SC and/or international, you have big tech.
  • edited February 20
    +1 The “Mag 7” seem to be sucking the oxygen out of markets . Deep value has gotten deeper. This could last a long time. No answers. I clipped the wings of 3 individual stocks this morning and opened small equally weighted positions in GLTR and SPDN with proceeds. The idea is to add some temporary stability until I can consider a better place for that entire 10% chunk of portfolio. I don’t give out returns - but suffice it to say the direction recently is circular in nature.

Buffet Rule #1 - Don’t lose money.
  • To add to @BenWP point:

QLTY - GMO U.S. Quality ETF - holds 5 in their top10 positions
    CGDV - Capital Group Dividend Value ETF - holds one
    JQUA - Jpmorgan US Quality Factor ETF - holds 5
    And the discussion board honey
    TCAF - T. Rowe Price Capital Apprec Eq ETF - holds 6
  • edited February 9
    My experience is similar to what others noted here....I am up in low single digits on a total return basis since start of 2022. My portfolio (70% stocks) is seriously underweight in the current market darlings. But, even so it has not fallen very far behind. Even the S&P500 is only up by single digits since the beginning of 2022.

The increasingly narrow concentration of the upside part of the market is what most concerns me. How much longer can that go on? History suggests it will not be forever. And, then, what comes next? I am rooting for the inflation rate to continue to decline and for a soft landing for the economy in 2024. But I am not holding my breath!

SPY, RSP, EQAL COMPARED
  • edited February 19
    @Observant1 said: The increasingly narrow concentration of the upside part of the market is what most concerns me. How much longer can that go on? History suggests it will not be forever. And, then, what comes next? I am rooting for the inflation rate to continue to decline and for a soft landing for the economy in 2024. But I am not holding my breath!
    Same here. I listen to Schwab podcast to get more details on their earning assessment. Mostly earnings are ok (after reduced expectation) but the % of out-performance is declining and that is unhealthy. At some point, the Magnificent Seven trend will widen. The spread between SPY and RSP (equal weighed S&P500) is still wide and favoring SPY. Thus, we are adding equity selectively to those funds with lower % of Mag 7.

Some cracks are happening to Tesla with disappointing earning and lower sale, especially in China where the Chinese EVs are much cheaper and they are coming to the West.

In light of the economic data on inflation, we think there are more opportunities on bonds, active managed ones.
  • In light of the economic data on inflation, we think there are more opportunities on bonds, active managed ones.

I've been growing bonds. Our bonds are junk, in funds. Our balanced funds have bonds too, but not all junk. After PPI report and home starts this morning, nothing much about Mr. Market is happy. ET is up. TS is up, barely. We'll have a look at things at the end of the day.
  • @crash,

If the market slides into recession, junk bonds will go with it. Given the low employment and strong growth, recession risk is declining in my opinion. PRWCX in your portfolio has about 10% bank loan/floating rate bond, thus I would not add more since you have high weighing with PRWCX. BL/FR tracks closely to FED rate and they fall accordingly when the FED cut rate some time this year. March 2022's drawdown of BL/FR were over 10% and eventually recovered after several months.

Some suggestions in the order of credit and duration risk:
    1. OSTIX (Kaufman) and RSIIX (David Sherman). Short duration high yield/multi-sector bonds, experience managers. Our MFO contributor, @Devo, also mentioned them in his February commentary.

2. PIMIX/PONAX (Ivascyn and Murata) - flexible multi-sector mandates. In many way, the fund is even better than Bill Gross's PTTRX.

3. DODIX, consistent performance and team managed.

4. Treasury floating rate bond (USFR) and corporate floating rate (FLOT, FLRN, and FLTR) were suggested on this board. They have lower credit risk than junk corporate bonds and BL/FR while yielding 5-7%. These are lower risk, short duration bonds.

• I have noted them all. Thank you very much, @Sven. Yes, don't want to be in that stuff AGAIN at the wrong time, exactly. (I got into junk at their high, before they all fell, in TUHYX, at start of '22.) Initiated PRCPX at the RIGHT time. It's about 50% of the size of TUHYX in the portfolio. Lately, I added "Fallen Angels" FALN. Previously I.G. stuff which got downgraded. It's been a good ride. I'll keep an eye out for the rate cuts.
  • Good to see that you are lowering the risk (TUHYX). PRCPX may prove to be an excellent fund for income investors. Still have some work to do on Farris G Shuggi’s track record before adding the fund.

You can also profit from the eventual rate cut by lengthening the bond duration from short to intermediate term. I consider that is a low hanging fruit. Bond prices move in opposite direction of interest rates.
  • edited February 18
    FWIW....No advice from here for short term traders...but here are my three high yield bond fund holdings. They are distinct and have each treated me well: RPHIX (and RPHYX), CBLDX, and BGHIX.
  • edited February 19
    Thread reminds me of Kurt Vonnegut’s “Ice 9” from his cataclysmatic novel, Cat’s Cradle

Am near fully invested mostly in alternative and balanced type funds. Some exposure to high yield, though those in the know say spreads are too tight. Bold enough to do it. Old enough to know better.

• edited February 18
    @hank. Looks bleak. And way too cold. I'm at 52 Stocks 39 bonds 7 cash 3 other.
    After a dividend just arrived, ET is the biggest single-stock position. 5% of total portfolio. Among funds, PRWCX remains very, VERY near 40% of total.
  • edited February 19
    The market concentrates around Mag 7 is concerning. Are we riding on a bubble or this time is really differs? Except for US, the economy across the globe is slowing including China.The past week UK and Japan are officially in recession. Is US the only bright spot?

This year we are reducing stocks to the low 40% and repositioning to bonds and cash. My past experience on alternatives has not so successful (and they are expensive to own) so I stay with short duration bonds and cash equivalents. As we are approaching retirement, we are staying risk adverse.

Perhaps this tread should move to “other investing” topic since the discussion is moving to that direction.
  • edited February 19
    Sven said:

The market concentrates around Mag 7 is concerning. Are we riding on a bubble or this time is really differs? Except for US, the economy across the globe is slowing including China.The past week UK and Japan are officially in recession. Is US the only bright spot?

This year we are reducing stocks to the low 40% and repositioning to bonds and cash. My past experience on alternatives has not so successful (and they are expensive to own) so I stay with short duration bonds and cash equivalents. As we are approaching retirement, we are staying risk adverse.

Perhaps this tread should move to “other investing” topic since the discussion is moving to that direction.

@Sven - I agree with most everything you said. Even with all the ALTS I have, I’m at 43% equity according to Fidelity’s analysis tool. So we’re pretty close together on that. Yes - it is very expensive to own ALTS. Mostly it’s due to interest paid on borrowings for short positions and sometimes for adding leverage. You definitely have to pay to play.

Retirement? I’ve blown right past that! Now reside in “Never-Never-Land”.:)

Good luck
  • @hank, Also Fidelity tool is very good to analyze your portfolio and % exposure to certain stocks, although not as neatly as those from M* portfolio X-ray analysis. T. Rowe Price used to make the M* too available to their investors, but now they only want those with $250K invested with them.

I also use the Fidelity tool for retirement planning analysis on several scenarios including expecting returns and inflation. We will do fine even at the worst scenario as long as we maintain our health. Glad to hear you are enjoying life.
  • Crash,

Any Utilities in that 50 something stock portfolio? Most I own are yielding around 4% or better.
  • edited February 20
    This is the first time I can remember what started out as an “Off-Topic” thread (February 8) being moved to “Other Investing” (10 days later) after many had posted.
  • I can confirm today's market is entirely range-bound. All indices are trading in a very, very narrow range today .... practically miniscule. :)
  • edited February 20
    Art said:

Crash,
    Any Utilities in that 50 something stock portfolio? Most I own are yielding around 4% or better.

"Mushingstar" X-Ray tells me 7.14% of my stocks are in utilities. I own no single-stock Yoots. Checking my biggest holding, PRWCX. 40% of my total portfolio. It holds almost 9% in Yoots.
    Ameren.
    Xcel Energy.
    Exelon

Those are the top 3. I can't find a Yoot that satisfies me in terms of just simple P/E.
    For yield, I'm in junk. Own a still smallish regional bank, yielding 4.4%. (BHB.) Oil/gas midstream ET offers 8.9% yield. Pretty nuts. I love it.
  • rforno said:

I can confirm today's market is entirely range-bound. All indices are trading in a very, very narrow range today .... practically miniscule. :)

Thanks @rforno. Was getting worried. Thought it was all in my head. :)

• edited February 19
    If it's all about the Mag 7, why is XMHQ up 11.24 YTD? Why is GRPM up 8.18?
  • @WABAC: we both hold XMHQ. I was surprised to find SMCI as its top holding. Surprised because the same stock is the top holding of two of my go-go growth funds. Haircuts ensued last Friday.
  • edited February 20
    WABAC said:

”If it's all about the Mag 7, why is XMHQ up 11.24 YTD? Why is GRPM up 8.18? “

I have absolutely no idea. A few of us were just grousing among ourselves quietly over in the quaint OT section (which resembles a dark alley) and somebody had the brilliant idea of moving the thread over to the forum’s version of Broadway!
  • A few stocks I have to go along with WABAC 's list. All YTD. MKS +21,VST+18,URI, PH, and EW all up 13+. Thats TECH, Utilities, Industrials and Health Care. Not all about the MAG 7.
  • Crash said:

Range-bound. That's where my portfolio is. 54 stocks, 37 bonds 7 cash.
    Just thought I'd mention it. Getting impatient. Tonight, I'm sitting just off my OLD high-point, at the start of '22, before the interest rate hikes. Financials, Energy, Tech and Healthcare are where I'm most concentrated. In that order. Bonds have come up, yes. But not "so'z you'd notice."

I really don't want to pile into a horrifically crowded tech-trade right now. Arm, A.I., Facebook, Google, Amazon. And some of my stuff is holding WFC as a top holding. Makes me want to gag. Criminal suck-bag banksters. All of the huge banks are that way.

Interest rate cuts will help. Earnings have pretty much been coming in hot for 4Q '23. Still not much of a difference in MY portfolio. Stinky poopy. Meanwhile, tempus fugit.
    ---End---

I'm still about 5% down from my January 2022 high, but I don't care; my bond income has gone up. I'm fine if rates stay normalized.
  • edited February 20
    Art said:

A few stocks I have to go along with WABAC 's list. All YTD. MKS +21,VST+18,URI, PH, and EW all up 13+. Thats TECH, Utilities, Industrials and Health Care. Not all about the MAG 7.

@Art - Good show!

And I’ve now deleted my earlier reference to the “Mag 7” in the interest of harmony. I can now better appreciate how Dudack felt after Rukeyser fired her.
  • hank said:

WABAC said:

”If it's all about the Mag 7, why is XMHQ up 11.24 YTD? Why is GRPM up 8.18? “

I have absolutely no idea. A few of us were just grousing among ourselves quietly over in the quaint OT section (which resembles a dark alley) and somebody had the brilliant idea of moving the thread over to the forum’s version of Broadway!
    Well. It's not like youse guys are the only ones that have been going on and on about it.:)

Just looked at the market today. Folks will probably be talking about something else if this keeps up.