Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

How Did I Miss This One? (Aberdeen Global Small Cap and a bit of a Seafarer discussion)

edited November 2012 in Fund Discussions
Grandeur Peak Global and International (GPGOX and GPOIX), Harding Loevner International Small Cap (HLMSX), and Seafarer (SFGIX) are being clocked by Aberdeen Global Small Cap (WVCCX). Aberdeen installed a new team at the fund in 2009 and the good results ensued. I hate to admit that I discovered WVCCX on Schwab's Select List. Fund assets remain low and expenses reasonable for the category. I own Aberdeen's FAX, but never checked out any of their OEFs.

Comments

• A lot of the problem, for me anyway, is sorting through the sea of load-bearing funds to find ones that are really good and conveniently accessible without a load. WVCCX certainly does seem to warrant a bit more reading, though.

Curious, as ever,

David
  • Just looked at WVCCX. Instantly, I saw why I either did not see it before or dismissed it after initial examination: Front load.
  • Reply to @MaxBialystock: Yep. No-load at Schwab, at least, and they often set the rules for Scottrade. If a fund has reasonably wide no-load availability, I think it would be worth looking. David
  • The no-load class of this fund is WPVAX.
  • (SFGIX... over 8 months old, now. M* still has yet to post a YTD performance figure in percentage terms. Hmph!)
  • Reply to @MaxBialystock: Hi Max, "YTD" means for the year since January 1, as of the current date; so SFGIX will never have a "YTD" performance figure for 2012. (It'd be nice if they computed a 6-month figure ... but that's readily DIY-doable from Yahoo historical price info.)
  • Ah. thank you exceedingly. I'll mosey on over to Yahoo, then.
  • SFGIX= top 2 %ile in cat. as of Sept. 30, 2012. Latest avail. on Y!
  • edited November 2012
    Here ya go. Seafarer is the blue line. It has returned a touch over 11% since launch. The other four are three emerging market ETFs (SPDRs for Asia, Europe and Latin America) and the diversified E.M. peer group, to give a sense of how much "the market" favored the asset class.

For what interest it holds, I added a thousand to Seafarer today. David
    SFGIX versus the ETFs.PNG
    991 x 319 - 58K
  • I like WAGOX in the global small-cap space. The only negative is the higher expenses, but performance is better so far.
  • Thanks, David! Now I will educate myself further with a look at WAGOX.
  • Wait a second. Why in heaven's name should we find Aberdeen fund attractive ?!?!?!? Look at this chart. I think it stinks to high heaven.

• Yes, just looked. Going back 10 years, the fund lands in 90th percentile. But even one of my favorites, MACSX isn't always ahead of benchmarks on this same sort of chart from Morningstar.
  • Reply to @VintageFreak: From the original post: "Aberdeen installed a new team at the fund in 2009 and the good results ensued." I didn't verify the change in management, but the post-2009 returns definitely look better.
  • edited November 2012
    Reply to @VintageFreak: For what interest it holds, the Aberdeen chart dated to the arrival of the current management team and plotted against its peer group and Artisan International Small Cap (ARTJX), Morningstar's only "Gold" fund in this category.

David
    aberdeen global small cap.PNG
    972 x 326 - 40K
  • We continue to like and own the lowest cost institutional class of this fund, ABNIX, which is available for a $500 minimum in Firstrade retirement accounts with a transaction fee, and appears to be available with no minimum in TDA retirement accounts according to their web site. This fund continues to have excellent U/D capture ratios as I detailed HERE.

Kevin
  • Reply to @kevindow:
    Tried to purchase a small amount of ABNIX in my non-taxable account at TDA. Received telephone call this afternoon from TDA rep. that ABNIX is available to only institutional shareholders so my trade was cancelled.
  • Reply to @TheShadow:

ABNIX is in fact available with no minimum in WT retirement accounts, but you have to use a rep.
  • edited November 2012
    Reply to @kevindow:

Thanks for the info. I'll try to purchase it there in my non-taxable account.
  • I know it should be obvious but who the heck is WT. Thanks in advance.
  • Reply to @kbeachy46: That would be WellsTrade, I believe.
  • edited November 2012
    Reply to @Old_Joe:

You are correct in that it is WellsTrade.
  • I called WT yesterday trying to purchase ABNIX in my IRA acct. was told the minimum is one mill. should I try a different representative? Thanks.
  • edited November 2012
    Reply to @kchnew:
    My went thru as Kevindow explained. I told rep. that I rec'd an error message and had to speak with rep. as directed (also gave error code). Rep. looked up initial minimum for Roth/IRA, which listed $0. Took about 15 minutes for rep. to input everything for trade. Trade went thru.
  • Thanks a lot. Will try tomorrow.
  • Just in case for talking to representative. Where can I find the info on initial minimum for IRA? When I login into my IRA account, and from the research of the symbol, it only shows minimum as 1 mill, no separate minimum line for IRA. Thanks in advance.
  • edited November 2012
    Reply to @kchnew:

Once you have logged into your account:

1. Look "Quotes & Research" tab for M/F on top of the screen and click it.
    2. Follow thru with M/F family name and click on respective fund you are seeking;
    3. Under the "Profile" tab, you will see some sub-tabs, "overview", "return", "holdings", "risk" and "expenses". Click "Expenses" tab.
    4. The "investment table" on right shows the minimums.
    ABNIX shows initial minimum $1M; Addtional $0; Initial IRA N/A; Additional IRA N/A.
    I checked the minimums before I called so I had already researched what the minimums were before I spoke to a rep.

Hope this helps.

• Got it. thanks a lot.
  • I talked to a rep and a supervisor a few weeks ago.They said that their website is wrong and that the min for an IRA is also $1mil