Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Trump says he would encourage Russia to attack Nato allies who pay too little

edited February 17 in Off-Topic
The Guardian

Western Europe might say, ”With friends like that … “

Comments

• Hey, why don't we make him our president ??? What a cool idea !!!

Oh, wait... I may be repeating myself here.
  • I'm too old now but I wish I had known I could get power and money by just saying ignorant, insane things as long as they maximally hurt real people.
  • @Anna - I'd never admit that I'm too old for anything. What I have trouble doing is learning to speak such that every word out of my mouth is an unmitigated lie. The struggle is real.
  • edited February 17
    Mark said:

@Anna - What I have trouble doing is learning to speak such that every word out of my mouth is an unmitigated lie.

It’s the circus effect … You pay to go see the “fat lady”, the 10’ guy on stilts, the lady in a cage with a tiger, and clowns - lots of clowns. It sells in Peoria as they say.

I wish it were really that simple. To many “swing voters” or the gullible ones it is. But underneath the surface (mostly unspoken) it’s all about money. Curtail long established “entitlement” programs, cut my taxes, and knee-cap the IRS so they can’t come after me if I decide to pay little or nothing..

• @Mark;) I find it remarkable that so many people choose to believe what they, themselves, know is an unmitigated lie.
  • edited February 17
    “I said, ‘You didn’t pay, you’re delinquent?’ He said, ‘Yes, let’s say that happened.’ No, I would not protect you. In fact, I would encourage them [Russia] to do whatever the hell they want. You’ve got to pay. You’ve got to pay your bills.”

This is an irresponsible statement coming from a former president and leading Republican contender
    in the 2024 election. Comments like this will only embolden Putin.

It's ironic that the former president is admonishing others for not paying their bills.
    His businesses don't exactly have a good reputation for bill payment.

"The number of companies and others alleging he hasn’t paid suggests that either his companies have a poor track record hiring workers and assessing contractors, or that Trump businesses renege on contracts, refuse to pay, or consistently attempt to change payment terms after work is complete as is alleged in dozens of court cases."

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/elections/2016/06/09/donald-trump-unpaid-bills-republican-president-laswuits/85297274/
  • Hey, why don't we make him our president ??? What a cool idea !!!

Oh, wait... I may be repeating myself here.
  • Yes, yes you are. Go to your cabin and don't return until you find your sanity.
  • "until you find your sanity"... fat chance on that one.
  • edited February 17
    Actually all that NATO funding talk is really a mask for “isolationism”, and not about $. We will not get fool again.
    https://pbs.org/newshour/world/watch-live-vice-president-harris-speaks-at-the-munich-security-conference

Isolationism in US was strong during the beginning of WWI and WWII. America was late to get involved, but democracy prevailed in the end. Otherwise, all Americans will be speaking German today and not English.
    https://sos.oregon.gov/archives/exhibits/ww2/Pages/before-isolation.aspx