Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Bulldogs lose to St. Mary's, but still in the Tournament.

They played stinky-poopy. St. Mary's gets the WCC crown. GU will enter the tourney as an at-large team. Inauspicious. So MANY missed jumpers. Shoulda tried something different much earlier. The 3s were not falling, either. Wormwood tasting. Sucks.

Comments

• Let the games begin !!
  • They sure looked good against Kentucky a couple of weeks ago, the only time I've seen them play this year. Maybe they'll get in as a 12 seed (53 upsets in tourney history by 12 over 5).
  • Looks like my Syracuse Orange will miss the big dance again and end up in the NIT tourney. I so wish they could go back to the glory days in the Big East. They just can't compete with the big boys in the ACC. What top recruit in their right mind would choose snowy cold Syracuse versus the sunny Carolinas, Virginia or Florida?
  • edited March 14
    I've been wowed by the U. of Houston team - first year in the Big 12, won the regular season title. I don't think I've ever seen a better half from any team at any level than their first half against Baylor a couple of weeks ago, at Baylor. But UH couldn't keep it up in the second half and just barely squeaked by with the win at the end. That Baylor comeback, like so many others, sure makes the game interesting and fun to follow.
  • edited March 14
    "...The Gonzaga Bulldogs missed out on a chance to officially cement themselves in the 68-team field with an automatic bid, losing 69-60 to Saint Mary's in the West Coast Conference Tournament championship game on Tuesday. Nonetheless an at-large bid for Mark Few's program is guaranteed at this point, as the Zags (25-7, 14-2 WCC) are ranked 17th in the NET and have seven combined wins in Quad 1 and Quad 2."

I'm glad. But WTF is NET? Quad 1? Quad 2? Not much of a basketball fan, apart from my own team. "Go, Bulldogs!"
  • edited March 15
    @Crash, basically those are just stats that account for things like strength of schedule and road-home-neutral site wins and losses, that go beyond the bare win-loss record.
  • Ah, thanks, @AndyJ.
  • Badgers upset Boilermakers in OT with 3 starters on the bench. One had to see it to believe it !
  • Derf said:

Badgers upset Boilermakers in OT with 3 starters on the bench. One had to see it to believe it !

Helluva show!
  • I missed WI-Purdue, dang it. But I did see Houston get run out of the gym by Iowa State and NC State whack the Tarheels. With Tennessee going down and the Ducks whipping Arizona, it hasn't been a great few days for the top-ranked teams ... except UConn, winning the Big East tourney.

Hmm. Wonder if the western Huskies have ever played the eastern Huskies in anything.
  • Looks like the UW Huskies played the UConn Huskies five times from Mar 19, 1998 - Dec 22, 2013.
    The UConn Huskies won each time.
    https://uconnhuskies.com/sports/mens-basketball/opponent-history/university-of-washington/269
  • Okay, right, and two of those times were in the tournament, both in the Sweet Sixteen: 75-74 in 1998 and 98-92 in OT in 2006.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Washington_Huskies_men's_basketball
  • Good time to be a UConn Husky, madame et moi graduated in '66.
  • McNeese State is the first tournament opponent for GU. Thursday afternoon, Salt Lake. The women play on Saturday, in Spokane.

As ever, UConn is the one to beat. Year after year. Keep an eye on #1-ranked UConn!
  • edited March 20
    The charge that the Mountain West conference got shafted in seeding (a talking head talking point Sunday) picked up a vote in the First Four 10-seed matchup last night, with Colorado State's drubbing of Virginia. Too bad Virginia's spot couldn't have gone to one of the worthy smaller school teams that were left out.
  • edited March 21
    Tom Izzo and MSU B Ball. One down and moving on. Go Spartans !!!
  • “Gonzaga tomorrow plays McNeese State, which, not only do I not believe Gonzaga is a real place, I don’t think there’s any such place as McNeese State, either. I know for a fact there are 50 states, and McNeese is not one of them, OK? This is a game between two imaginary teams they’re putting on. The A.I. has finally taken over.” — Jimmy Kimmel
  • @Mark. We saw that last night, too. Pretty cute.
  • Mark said:

“Gonzaga tomorrow plays McNeese State, which, not only do I not believe Gonzaga is a real place, I don’t think there’s any such place as McNeese State, either. I know for a fact there are 50 states, and McNeese is not one of them, OK? This is a game between two imaginary teams they’re putting on. The A.I. has finally taken over.” — Jimmy Kimmel

ROTFL.
    LOL.
    Almost game-time. I'll be tuned-in.
  • edited March 21
    catch22 said:

Tom Izzo and MSU B Ball. One down and moving on. Go Spartans !!!

No one should ever count Izzo out!
  • Zags dominated McNeese State. The lead was up to 35 points. They shaved it down to a 86-65 final score. Zags win. Will they play the OTHER Bulldogs in the next round? (Samford. Where the hell is THAT?) The alternative would be GU vs. Kansas. I think we might prefer Samford, eh?
  • edited March 22
    One more Michigan university moves forward. Oakland University in Auburn Hills, beat 3 seed Kentucky. Regardless, the whole tournament should prove viewer exciting.
  • catch22 said:

One more Michigan university moves forward. Oakland University in Auburn Hills, beat 3 seat Kentucky. Regardless, the whole tournament should prove viewer exciting.

Saw that! Wow.
  • Wow for the Oakland shooting guard. Now Kansas is going down to the wire with Samford.
  • AndyJ said:

Wow for the Oakland shooting guard. Now Kansas is going down to the wire with Samford.

Samford looked lost at end of 1st half. They fought back, remarkably. But I noted that while there was still time enough for them to use possession to work the ball into the paint, they seemed determined to shoot for 3, time and time again, from shitless angles. And they repeatedly MISSED. Still, they made it into quite a contest in the 2nd half.
    Final: KU 93
    Samford. 89.

And the Zags' next opponent will be Kansas. The Dawgs will have to bring their A-game, all the way.

• Bad call on that great block at the rim by the Samford player, which changed the last-minute situation entirely, but that's the way it goes. With the speed of the game, refs just can't get everything right.
  • AndyJ said:

Bad call on that great block at the rim by the Samford player, which changed the last-minute situation entirely, but that's the way it goes. With the speed of the game, refs just can't get everything right.

I was depending on a condensed, texted play-by-play in print!
  • Shucks, St. Peter's, Jersey City, got creamed. They're out now.
  • Ha! Just saw what Stetson (UConn's opponent today) calls itself in sports: the Stetson Hatters. (Yes, that U. is named for that very Stetson.)