Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Bulldogs lose to St. Mary's, but still in the Tournament.

Comments

• Northwestern advances....Big 10 yeah !!!
  • Not a good afternoon for the SEC. Two great games, tho. Colorado, Yale, yeah!
  • Yale Yale the whole gang is here !!! Ending was nut-zo !!
  • J. Madison advances over Wisconsin. This year's first round has been epic.
  • (#5) St. Mary's (WCC) is out, defeated by (#12) GCU. "Revenge is a dish best served cold." It was St. M's that took the WCC crown from Gonzaga. I'm loving it. Grand Canyon plays The Crimson Tide, next.
  • GCU is an odd duck of a university: https://www.gcu.edu/why-gcu/history-of-gcu
  • Agreed! ...I'll be drinking morning coffee, rather than beers, on top of the Dawgs broadcast vs. Kansas on Sat. morning. Feels weird to this fellow, originally from New England.
  • Bulldogs are in the Sweet 16.
    They were on fire in the 2nd half vs. Kansas. Final: 89-68. (And they were down by one point at the Half.) They owned the boards in 2nd Half. Jayhawks could not BUY a thrill. Really quite something. But over and over, I heard reference to the star injured player whom the Kansas team had to make-do, without. Perhaps GU had a leg-up in that regard.

Next match: either Purdue or Utah State. I'm betting that Purdue will be victorious. Ranked #1 in that Conference or District or whatever. No pushovers!
  • edited March 23
    Like Mark Few said in the post-game, the Zags played 40 minutes of great offense and 20 minutes of great defense. That's good enough to beat just about anybody. They seem to be jelling at just the right time, tho of course there's no guarantee they'll be able to play every game as near perfecto as that one.
  • edited March 23
    At the half: MSU came out roaring, but finished the first 20 minutes whimpering. Just awful. NC is in command. EDIT TO ADD: NC wins. Just plain dominant. On to L.A. and the Sweet Sixteen.
  • edited March 23
    Oakland Univ of Michigan fell apart in OT. Game goes to NC State. D.J. Burns oughta be playing football, not basketball. Jeepers. I'm a lazy slug today. Pour salt on me, I'd melt.
  • Oregon vs. Creighton:
    Ducks did not have enough in the gas tank for 2-OT. And honestly, tell me how in the world that team managed to stay in the game and even briefly hold a LEAD with ALL points being scored by just TWO players????????? (Until a third fellow hit for a lone basket very near the end of 1-OT.)

What happened at the very end of Regulation? The Ducks had it in their pocket--- almost. I missed those few moments. ORK. Disappointing. That team needs more than just TWO scorers!!!!!
  • edited March 24
    GU women roll over UC-Irvine, 75-56.
    https://gozags.com/sports/womens-basketball
  • @Crash, Oregon had three contributing players out for the season with injuries. They rode (primarily) Couisnard and Dante as far as they could, and it was enough to win the Pac-12 tourney, which is the reason they got into the Dance at all.

The only Pac-12 team left is Arizona, and they're good enough to win it all if they get a lucky bounce or two. An AZ-Zags semifinal would be outstanding. (I think that's where they would meet if they both make it that far.)
  • +1.
    @AndyJ.

At the moment, UCONN is crucifying Northwestern. Just outclassed, in my opinion. Halftime at the moment.
  • Houston-Tx A&M: wild, crazy, just about unforgettable.
  • AndyJ said:

Houston-Tx A&M: wild, crazy, just about unforgettable.

That's what the announcers were saying at the Grand Canyon/Alabama game. So many steals, blocked shots, jump balls... PHYSICAL.

• Thursday: UConn vs. San Diego St., Iowa St.-Illinois, North Carolina-Alabama, Clemson-Arizona. Getting into "must watch" territory for every game.

Gonzaga-Purdue Friday.

Give me basketball over the latest criminal news forever and a day.
  • Thanks for the heads-up! @AndyJ.
  • Will the pressure of possible back to back NCAA championship be to much for UC to accomplish ?
    Post your favorite to take the tourney here.
    I'm sticking with Boilermakers, as it's been awhile since a Big 10 team has won !
  • I don't bet the Bulldogs will do it. But I can't cheer against them. ORK.
  • Seems Gonzaga is in the hunt every year and I generally cheer for their basketball team, but I couldn't tell you if Gonzaga is named after a town or a person or, what? That's how much I know about the school itself. Against Perdue - Go Bulldogs. It will help my bracket pool.

I've been a Big East fan for 45 years and maybe more recently cheered for the ACC. My Syracuse Orange couldn't make it, again, so I guess I'll try something different. Going forward, I'm going to cheer for that other school in Wisconsin, Milwaukee's own, the Marquette Golden Eagles.
  • Thanks @Crash for the info. Maybe we'll end up with a Catholic showdown in the final 4, Marquette and Gonzaga!!!
  • +1.
    Watching Connecticut vs. SDSU.
    UConn's Newton is throwing his weight around and the referees seem to not mind at all. Stinky-poopy calls.
  • edited March 29
    Alabama wins by 2. Amazing game to watch. NC is OUT.
    72-69, Illini defeat Iowa State. Boom.
  • Ala. was 1 for 9 in sweet 16 until tonight ! As they yell , Roll Tide !
  • edited March 29
    Two top guards had less than stellar games, and out go 2-seed AZ and 1-seed NC.

Good on Illinois - best they've done since getting all the way to the championship game in 2005, with a terrific three-guard offense. They were sure fun to watch.

Marquette has been looking good; NC State is next.
  • NC State has come out of no-where to win the ACC tournament and now deep into this tournament. Clemson wasn't great either all year, but they both got hot at the right time.
  • edited March 29
    Women: at the half, Oregon State Beavers 17, Irish 15.
    ...ORK! Must be a delay. Now it shows 32-31 at Half, with OR State in the lead. ESPN has the tv coverage. I've been able to "hack" the free 10-minute "preview" of the games on tv, on the men's side. The video offered for this women's game is old: Ole Miss vs. ND. (WTF.)

...A-ha! Looks like the women still use quarters, rather than 2 HALVES. Thus, my confusion.
    ...Now a 4-point game, with 26 seconds remaining.
    LADY BEAVERS WIN. They defeat Notre Dame, 70-65.

If I'm reading the bracket correctly, Beavers next will play the winner of S.C. vs. Indiana.