Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Jamie Dimon (JPM) Looking for Future Rate Storms

Jamie Dimon's annual letter, pg 20,

"Therefore, we are prepared for a very broad range of interest rates, from 2% to 8% or even more, with equally wide-ranging economic outcomes — from strong economic growth with moderate inflation (in this case, higher interest rates would result from higher demand for capital) to a recession with inflation; i.e., stagflation. Economically, the worst-case scenario would be stagflation, which would not only come with higher interest rates but also with higher credit losses, lower business volumes and more difficult markets. Under these many different scenarios, our company would continue to perform at least okay. Importantly, being prepared means we can continue to help our clients no matter what the future portends. "
https://www.jpmorganchase.com/content/dam/jpmc/jpmorgan-chase-and-co/investor-relations/documents/ceo-letter-to-shareholders-2023.pdf

Comments

• More storms like today will certainly give the long-anticipated buying opportunity.
  • edited April 12
    MikeM said:

More storms like today will certainly give the long-anticipated buying opportunity.

Yes. True. But I’m beginning to think Geroux really does walk on water. PRWCX gained .23% today, unless my tracker is flawed.

Ahh … Just one day. But most everything except bonds took a hit from what I can see. I have a fund that invests in a basket of CEFs. More bloodshed than I care to say. Must have caught a lot of CEFs leaning the wrong way …
  • Time to do some ROTH conversions.
  • edited April 12
    @hank, that is stale quote for PRWCX from yesterday. Many sites are still showing stale info from 4/11/24 (Yahoo Finance, MarketWatch, etc). Probably will fix in the next update of the evening.

But Price website, M*, etc are showing the correct info for 4/12/24 and it is -0.79%.
    https://www.morningstar.com/funds/xnas/prwcx/quote
  • edited April 12

@hank, that is stale quote for PRWCX from yesterday. Many sites are still showing stale info from 4/11/24 (Yahoo Finance, MarketWatch, etc). Probably will fix in the next update of the evening.

But Price website, M*, etc are showing the correct info for 4/12/24 and it is -0.79%.
    https://www.morningstar.com/funds/xnas/prwcx/quote

Thanks a lot @yogibearbull. Nice to know DG’s human. TCAF, which I also follow, was off quite a bit when I looked earlier, so couldn’t figure out why PRWCX would be up.

BTW - From M*’s current assessment of PRWCX: ”A 5-star manager that hasn’t begun to peak ...”
  • As of close on 4/12/2024, all TRP fund prices listed at Fidelity were stale with “0%” changes, and that is highly improbable. Seemed that sort of delay in the past as the mutual fund companies are slow to post their NAV soon after market close. During the GFC, NAV of bond funds are often stale.
  • There was some sort of breakdown in a major feed for PRWCX.

Prices were posted correctly YESTERDAY at Rowe Price and M* websites. But they are still stale at many places now on Saturday.

Yahoo is totally messed up - it shows stale price on the Summary/Quote page, but correct price in Historical Data.
  • edited April 14
    +1.
    And it does not help when mutual fund prices are shown to be current-day prices, when in fact the data is a day old. M* or TRP or Yahoo or any of the others are just trying to make themselves look good, and failing, thereby.

"Data as of (current day.") Because this---today--- is the day you're looking at it. But it's actually yesterday's information. The ploy amounts to a lie. Crap. There's not much in my experience lately that can be trusted to be reliable. Promises, promises! New and Improved! Until you need something...
  • @yogibearbull and @Crash et al

PRWCX example for pricing that generally is accurate within 2 hours after market closing. This linked chart shows the pricing change for Friday, April 12. One may use this chart for any valid ticker symbol. NOTE: Disregard the 3 year time frame, RSI and some other data, as this example is only for viewing % change.
    What is important with this chart at StockCharts: Enter the ticker symbol, leave the 'period' at Daily, and then select/click upon 'Update'. One will then find the % change at the right side at 'Chg'. Using this same ticker or your ticker choice, you may also change the 'Period' to 'week', then select/click upon 'Update'. You will then see the % change for the trading week. So, if you use this chart for a Wednesday close, you will see the % change for the week to date.
    Save this site page, as it is active for you to use at a future date.

Note: when checking other data this past Friday evening, M* data for SPY closing on Friday was stale well into Saturday. This chart pricing and % change was fully accurate Friday evening, about 2 hours after the market close. I've never had a conflict with correct %/pricing data using this site page. I agree about Yahoo for most data, which I do not use.
    I believe I covered all the bases for this example. Let me know otherwise.
  • @catch22. appreciate it.
  • Interest rate uncertainty coupled with the Iranian missile strike on Israel have me opening my eyes to possible investment opportunities for the first time this year. I will be paying attention to market action on Monday and may make a trade or two.
  • I'd be very surprised if the Iranian missile strike has much influence on anything. Pretty much of a dud.
  • edited April 15
    Old_Joe said:

I'd be very surprised if the Iranian missile strike has much influence on anything. Pretty much of a dud.

I agree - unless the skirmish escalates.
    It appears that Iran isn't interested in further attacks unless Israel retaliates.
    My understanding is the Israeli war cabinet is undecided regarding a military response.
    The U.S. and western allies are trying to disuade Israel from taking offensive military action.
    This situation could very easily turn into a powder keg!
    Let's hope that doesn't occur...
  • edited April 15
    It's about oil that had runup already to WTI $85 and Brent $90. But it didn't move much after that. Similar for gold. Only cryptos showed real-time moves (at one point, Bitcoin -8%, digital-gold +32%) when none of the markets were trading, but those have calmed down too.
    But we haven't seen the end of the story yet.
  • Very true.
  • Diamond must have went to meteorological school or secretly wanted to be a weather man. Back in June he was predicting an economic hurricane and now rate storms! Maybe a stock market blizzard is next?
  • Dimon is just covering his a$$.
    If his prediction would be correct he would say I told you so, if not, he would say it was a warning.
  • Interesting that Jamie Dimon's concerns have been quoted widely, but his wide rate range of 2-8% is skipped in these quotes. All he may be trying to say that as the largest bank in the US (TBTF, SIFI, etc; also largest globally by market-cap but not by assets), he is prepared for all eventualities.

BTW, Treasury volatility is indicated by MOVE (it's like VIX for bonds) and it's now 121; recent 52-wk high was 148 in 10/2022; all-time low was 37 in 09/2020.
    https://finance.yahoo.com/quote/^MOVE
  • All he may be trying to say that as the largest bank in the US (TBTF, SIFI, etc; also largest globally by market-cap but not by assets), he is prepared for all eventualities.

That is a good place to be.

It's also a welcome relief from rate-cut mongering.