Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Mak'in a list, check'in it twice...no, make that thrice.....

edited December 2012 in Fund Discussions
Mak'in a list and check'in it thrice......with the understanding that "if" the "cliff" thing does not "burn down the house"; of course, which could be a non-event; as the Mayan calendar thing hits December 21 !!! Heck, congress and the White House folks may not have to make any final decisions, afterall.

I digress.

Account changes are likely coming to this house in early, 2013.

--- Current funds that will likely leave; and their monies having to find a new home:

DIHYX, FHIIX, PTTRX, ACITX, DGCIX, OPBYX, PLDDX and DPFFX

--- Existing funds that could receive some of these monies:

FAGIX, SPHIX, FINPX, FSICX, FNMIX, FRIFX

--- Existing funds that may be reduced or otherwise:

FTBFX, FBNDX

--- Funds in consideration (the short list)

PAUIX and/or PAUDX / PASDX, PMZDX or PMZIX
.......also building an equity list, which remains a work in progress, and likely more oriented towards U.S.
With only a bah-zillion choices, we should be finished by the end of February:) :

MACSX, SFGIX, GPGOX, GPGIX, ARTHX, ARTKX, FMIJX, VWINX, FBALX

Ok, that's it. Just writing "outloud".

'Course, your input is always welcomed for a house in retirement. Ya, we know; most folks consider our portfolio to be a bit "lite" on the pure equity side of life.

Take care of you and yours,
Catch

Comments

• edited December 2012
    Those equity funds look pretty good. As far as the Large-Cap International fund category, a nice substitute for FMIJX may be MIEIX. Both are nice Large Cap International funds with similar-ish type holdings, but MIEIX has a lower cost basis and a nice long-term performance record.

Edit - I just checked M* and it looks like MIEIX is only available to institutional investors, with a 3M minimum initial investment (I had it thru a 401K plan). I couldn't readily see an investor class version.
  • Reply to @MoneyGrubber: Available? MIEIX shows "Available to Existing Shareholders", at least at Schwab.
  • Hmmm, on M*, the "Initial IRA" purchase amount was dashed-out, so I assumed that the 3M was a minimum to get in if you're a current non-holder.
  • Reply to @MoneyGrubber: Oh, hell... that's way different. 3M- not a big deal...:-)
  • beebee
    edited December 2012
    Hi Catch,

Any GNMA funds on your radar...Gauranteed by the USofA? Sit has a short governmant fund that I think attempts to navigate the interest rate tide while providing a treasury beating coupon. SNGVX is the ticker. I also like Vanguard's GNMA fund VFIIX. GNMA funds seems to deal with hiccups in the bond and stock market.

Here they are charted against a few of your favorites...and mine...thanks for your contributions here:

• edited December 2012
    Hey there bee,
    We would likely only have mortgage related issues that reside inside of multi-sector bond funds or a perhaps use a more dedicated fund to this sector of one of the sterioid varieties from Pimco or Gundlach. Fidelity has a couple of related funds and we always look inside of Fidelity first to find whether there is something we would like to use that measures up to a task.
    My concern today with GNMA and some related funds is affects from refinancing and what pressure this will place upon yields and/or pricing. Not unlike any sector, a favorable viewpoint going forward is important to get folks interested. Currently, it appears there is low favorable interest in this area. This does not mean that this could not be a fairly safe area to obtain a smaller yield with one's monies.
    The best part of any of this, more so today, than any other time backwards is the number of choices available; and even to the point of how risky of a bond fund one chooses to use in a given sector or style.
    I will add to the list.....PMZDX or PMZIX going forward that would be related to your question. I had forgotten to place this on the penciled, paper list.
    The task of rotating some holdings is viewed as a partial challenge into a new investing arena; and we can take some time for decisions, without being rushed.
    Take care,
    Catch