Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

How 3-D Printing Could Disrupt the Economy of the Future

beebee
edited May 2013 in Off-Topic
"Today, 3-D printing remains a small part of manufacturing. For mass-produced consumer products, injection molding is typically faster and cheaper. Increasingly, though, businesses will use 3-D printers to complement their old-fashioned equipment to make specialized goods. In a few decades, an aerospace company like GE could be manufacturing jets in silent factories, with rows and rows of 3-D printers churning out cutting-edge parts in proficient solitude, and not a human laborer in sight. "
how-3-d-printing-could-disrupt-the-economy-of-the-future

Comments

• Howdy bee-

Yes, interesting topic. I was thinking the other day that the 3-D could possibly have the potential of creating a Star-Trek environment, where you simply tell the "replicator" to create whatever you might need. Potentially truly massively disrupting to the economy as it is now structured.
  • Agreed, this is an intriguing technology, but everything I've seen so far indicates that it takes F-O-R-E-V-E-R to churn out a product which isn't going to cut it in today's marketplace where everyone wants it yesterday if not sooner.

I'm also curious to know if 3-D printers will be used to crank out more 3-D printers to be used to crank out more products and so on and so forth. What a mess.
  • Yes, also when you think of 2d document printers your material needs are printer ink and flat paper. When you think of 3D printing say an electromechical device like a toaster your material list just skyrocket into another dimension. How does a 3d printer form glass, springs, heater coils...three toster components that require multiple specialized steps to produce the property qualities that turn raw materials into glass, springs, heating elements...not to mention sensors and circuitry. Where Moore's Law when you need it?
  • How does a 3d printer form glass, springs, heater coils...three toster components that require multiple specialized steps to produce the property qualities that turn raw materials into glass, springs, heating elements...not to mention sensors and circuitry.
    Reply to @bee:

These are complex and functional items that 3-D printing with today's technology cannot deliver. There were even discussion how to produce human organs and that is a stretch...
  • Interesting, thks for posting.

Chk this Econtalk or more: http://www.econtalk.org/archives/2012/12/chris_anderson_2.html

from Econ talk:
    "Chris Anderson, author of Makers: The New Industrial Revolution, talks with EconTalk host Russ Roberts about his new book--the story of how technology is transforming the manufacturing business. Anderson argues that the plummeting prices of 3D printers and other tabletop design and manufacturing tools allows for individuals to enter manufacturing and for manufacturing to become customized in a way that was unimaginable until recently. Anderson explores how social networking interacts with this technology to create a new world of crowd-sourced design and production."

"What's cool, though, is that that very same file that you designed on the web or with pretty software, you can upload it to services like Shapeways and they can be printed in anything--stainless steel, silver, titanium, glasses, resins of all sorts. You can make really beautiful jewelry or mechanical gears, things like that. A friend of mine is doing an entire silverware set, all 3D printed and uploaded to Shapeways. So, the home technology tends to be plastic, but the same design file sent to a service bureau on the web can be produced in any substance."
  • Reply to @Sven: Organovo (ONVO) "Organovo Holdings, Inc. develops three-dimensional (3D) bioprinting technology for creating functional human tissues on demand for research and medical applications. The company’s 3D NovoGen bioprinting technology works across various tissue and cell types, and allows for the placement of cells in desired pattern. It offers NovoGen MMX Bioprinter, a commercial hardware and software bioprinter platform to create tissues for bioprinting research and development. The company was founded in 2007 and is based in San Diego, California."
  • Reply to @tipsy88: Great article... thanks a lot! Answers a ton of questions.
  • They're printing drones now too. (just cuz I'm paranoid don't mean they ain't really out there:-)

http://www.wired.com/design/2012/11/3d-printed-autonomous-airplane/
  • Reply to @hank: Those guys at MITRE are still having fun. I've alway thought they were a good government investment.
  • And more tech trends for our future and hopefully in our investment futures.
    http://www.realcleartechnology.com/lists/technology-hype-mckinsey/
  • Reply to @TSP_Transfer:

Good stuff. It's hard to argue with that even if you might want to. Would have liked to have seen Carbon sequestration and Advanced water purification have the certainty to go up the list a bit but maybe it leaves it open to better solutions.

Somehow this little old lady gets the cloud creeps. Things will evolve though and they will figure out that interoperability doesn't end on your captive cloud (if you want to keep your customers you can't try to own them exclusively).

Still think my life (1948-now) has been the best of times in terms of watching technology evolve/change.
  • Here's a life changing event brought on by the use of 3-D printing:

http://news.yahoo.com/doctors-save-ohio-boy-printing-125228957.html
  • beebee
    edited May 2013
    Reply to @Mark:
    Great story... but the end product (the tube) looked pretty unremarkable to my untrained eye...could have been a sawed off piece of a bic pen as far as I could tell.

I recall NASA working on an anti-gravitional pen so that astronaunts could scribble in space. Millions went into this invention. The Russian continue to solve the problem using a 5 cent pencil.

We need to remember that KISS (Keep It Simple Silly) is often the best design solution.