Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

the "Great Owl" funds

Dear friends,

Just a word about Charles's much sought-after data. We'd been hopeful of releasing it as a searchable database with our August 1 issue. Both of the folks who do programming for us - Accipiter and Andrew, one of chip's IT colleagues - have been swamped by things that are, frankly, noticeably more pressing than this project. We've got the most recent data loaded and a rudimentary search and report function (enter the ticker for the oldest share class and get a dozen bits of data), but we haven't yet been able to integrate Charles's "oldest share class" utility, a more flexible search or a report that incorporates explanatory text.

What we do have is the data in a spreadsheet. As an experiment, I pulled the data for the 420 "Great Owl" funds - all of those in the top 20% of their peer groups for periods of three years plus - into a single, smaller spreadsheet and provided two sorts. The top table is sorted by fund category and the second one is sorted by fund name. I wanted to see how useful folks found this format. While I remain a bit concerned about piracy, I do want to make useful information available as quickly and clearly as I can.

If you want to play with the data and haven't used Excel much, I'd mostly suggest that you save the original against the prospect that one of your experiments substantially scrambles things.

With respect,

David

Comments

• didn't open for me
  • edited August 2013
    Reply to @STB65: it isn't an ".xls" file which is the standard Excel format but rather an ".xlsx" file, and I'm not sure what that is. I'm using an older Mac, and ironically, Excel for Mac (albeit a very old 2001 version) could not open it, but "Numbers", a fairly new spreadsheet which is part of the Apple "iWork" suite, did. Go figure...
  • edited August 2013
    Reply to @STB65 & Old Joe: Hmm, bummer. It downloads immediately for me.

Note that it is an Office 2007 Excel file with extension type *.xlsx. Suggest you note location it downloads to and then open using Excel. To direct download to specific place on your computer, you can also right-click on icon and select "Save link as...".

If you are using an earlier version of Excel, you can download the Microsoft Compatibility Pack.

If you do not have Excel, you can download an open source spreadsheet program...just Google one.

Finally, Chip posted the full Adobe *.pdf version recently, here's link: MFO 2Q Ratings.

Hope that helps, but let us know either way.
  • Thanks for making this data available. Any quibbles I might have I will send to you directly, David. These data feeds LOOK visually stunning, and this helps as I sort/screen/parse the information. I know a lot of time goes into this.
  • Reply to @BobC: Thank you, sir!
  • edited August 2013
    Reply to @BobC:

Any quibbles I might have I will send to you directly, David.

Well said BobC. Perhaps we might all follow your sage advice.

Mike_E
  • Thanks so much for providing the analysis on all these funds. This makes our job of assessing the funds so much easier and identifying candidates for further research. I really appreciate the time and effort you guys have put into making this available!

Michael
  • Unable to open link for whatever reason - using IE 10 and Office 2007 but no luck getting the spreadsheet
  • edited August 2013
    Reply to @sligo: Weird. As a quick test, I've converted David's file to the type *.xls, which represents the 1997-2003 version of Excel. See if this opens...good to know for future posts:

2Q Ratings *.xls Type

Please let us know if this works for you. Thanks!
  • Reply to @Charles: Works for me. When I attempted the back conversion on my own I get enough compatibility warnings that I gave up the idea. I'm glad you were able to make it work.

David
  • Reply to @Charles: Thanks Charles- that worked just fine - afraid my capabilities don't extend to knowing why the difference. Appreciate your help
  • Reply to @sligo: Thanks. Very good to know it worked. We will be sure in future to only post *.xls type spreadsheets, JIC.
  • edited August 2013
    Reply to @Charles: Works fine on my Mac, using the native "Excel for Mac" app. BTW, yesterday I tried faking out that app by changing the file extension to ".xls", but no go- it knew the difference.

Also tried the xls version using the "Numbers 09" app from the Mac iWork suite, and it also works just fine- in fact can open two copies of xls simultaneously, one in each app.

Seems that the older xls version is still more universally compatible than the newer xlsx version.

Thanks for all your work on this. When it's complete I'll have to revise the MFO "User Manual" to cover this area (though to be honest I have suspicion that almost no one bothers to even look at that resource).

Regards- OJ
  • edited August 2013
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • edited August 2013
    Reply to @Maurice:

I use OpenOffice 3.4.1 and had no problem opening the file.

Mona
  • edited August 2013
    Reply to @Old_Joe: "... have to revise the MFO "User Manual" to cover this area (though to be honest I have suspicion that almost no one bothers to even look at that resource)."
    :(:(:(

I read it every evening before going to bed. Especially helpful with a glass of wine. And thank you very much.
  • Thanks Mindy! Yes, a glass of wine helps with a lot of things.
    :-):-)
  • Reply to @Old_Joe: Older .xls files are binary format files which was the native format until Excel 2003. The new format is actually based on textual XML format. The old format was not properly documented so 3rd party apps had varying success interpreting the file. The new format, still proprietary to MS but better documented and can be better converted to other XML formats like open document format.
  • Reply to @Investor: Thanks man, Why don't you move to SF, and I'll take you out to dinner?
  • I have a Mac with iCloud numbers (beta) and the file opened fine for me.

A lot of work went into this. Thank you all for your efforts.
  • Thanks David, looks great. Hope most of my 35 orders from Amazon this year came got credited to MFO.

It would be neat if we could add some more columns such as current manager tenure, Expense Ratios, Loads, etc using Steele DB. Uhm, yeah, It would be great Charles if you could go ahead and come in on Sat and Sun and get that done. :) (Office Space movie parody).

• Reply to @equalizer: Over the past couple years, about a half dozen people have asked me to confirm that their orders ("I ordered a biography of Catherine de' Medici and wanted to know ...") were credited to MFO. While I cannot see individual orders, I can find out if the sale of a particular item (the Medici bio) to someone was credited to our account within some time frame. In each case the system had worked flawlessly.

For what interest it holds,

David
  • Charles, David, and the Gang,
    Thanks for a very helpful table. This information will very useful.
    Barry
  • edited August 2013
    Reply to @equalizer: I know that you were just kidding, but seriously, here's a possibility:

First, make a backup copy of the spreadsheet in case something goes wrong. Then-

• Under Edit, choose "Move or Copy Sheet", and in the resulting box, check "Create a copy", and "OK". This will give you a second worksheet in the same spreadsheet, which will be identical to the original. A new tab will appear at the bottom, allowing you to switch between the worksheets. If you want to, double-click on that tab and change the tab title to whatever you desire, for example: "Funds of Interest".

• Now, on your new page, choose (select) all of the cells under the blue header bar- this will include lines 13 through 882. Again under Edit, choose "Clear" and "All." At this point you have nothing on your new page but the heading stuff.

• From the original "All Funds" worksheet, copy the entire line of data for any fund or funds that you are interested in.

• Go to your new worksheet page, and paste that data under the blue bar heading. Now you have a work area all set up concerning only the funds that are of interest to you. If you want to add other info, as you mentioned, just use additional columns after the info that you pasted, and now you've got your very own personalized data page.

To make the cell width of adequate size to accommodate any info that you want to add, select a cell in the new column that you are working in, go to Format, "Column", "Width" and set the width to whatever you need.

I just did that myself, and it works great. In Excel, you can add as many new worksheets as you want, which is really a neat way to keep track of stuff.

As a precaution against screwing up the data on the original "All Funds" sheet, you can go to that sheet and then select Tools, "Protection", "Protect Sheet". The "Protect Sheet" box will appear; check "OK". You will now be able to copy anything from the "All Funds" sheet, but not change anything, unless you "unprotect" that sheet.

Hope this helps at your end.