Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

No deal = Dow down 300 to 500 points tomorrow??

edited October 2013 in Fund Discussions
Will be interesting to see the fuures when they open at 6:00. Heavens forbid if we are limit down.

Edit: http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/2013/10/13/senators-rand-paul-lindsey-graham-government-shutdown/2975603/

Comments

• Zero Hedge:
    "not about keeping the economy afloat, is not about preserving jobs, but merely keeping the stock market at or near its all time highs:"
    http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2013-10-12/chuck-schumers-bottom-line-dont-hurt-stocks
  • edited October 2013
    Not as bad as I thought, at least so far. Futures have been down around 100 since their opening. I believe the link below updates every few minutes or so and is delayed 10 minutes. If you get the Fox Business News station the futures are in real time at the bottom of the screen. My fear is there has been too much complacency that a deal will get done and not to worry about a default.

http://www.cmegroup.com/trading/equity-index/us-index/e-mini-dow.html

The more actively traded S&P futures link is below

http://www.cmegroup.com/trading/equity-index/us-index/e-mini-sandp500.html
  • edited October 2013
    What a disaster. We should all be more focused on GE and BAC earnings reports this week. Oh, and the Mutual Fund Observer conversation with Zachary Wyndra of Beck, Mack & Oliver on Wednesday!
  • Reply to @Charles: Are you being facetious or what? We shouldn't focus on the shutdown/debt fiasco and its potential impact on the economy?
  • Reply to @Junkster: What a waste of time it is, every year! "Entropy Rising" should be our name for DC. I know we need to pay attention to it, and I've tried to posture accordingly if that's possible, but I would really rather be focused on earnings.
  • edited October 2013
    Hi Junkster,

This is a nice and easy read (including the bar graphic lower on the page) for broad based areas, (currency, some bonds, metals) although leans to commodity areas.
    This does update realtime, and/or when you choose to refresh the page. You may also click upon any item for a singular view. A nice overview in general.

FINVIZ

I also use this for realtime global equity views LINK
    This link should be set to Asia, but you may select any tab to switch locations.

Take care,
    Catch
  • edited October 2013
    Tomorrow is Columbus Day October 14. The bond markets are closed. But the stock markets are open. I do think maybe it would be better if the stock markets were closed. Oh dear me:(:(:(
  • edited October 2013
    Reply to @Mindy: Good idea!

Hey, all this reminds me of a new book I've put on my reading list:

It's Even Worse Than It Looks: How the American Constitutional System Collided With the New Politics of Extremism, by Thomas Mann and Norman Ornstein
  • Reply to @Charles: The USA has survived worse situations and will survive this. One party will probably be in the doghouse for awhile but will survive.
  • edited October 2013
    Reply to @Hogan: Yes - The sight of Palin & Cruz cheering-on the throng at the national mall in Washington today gave me great confidence. (I haven't felt this good since Watergate:-)
  • I recall the wisdom of Charles Schultz, who said "The world is not going to end today. It is already tomorrow in Australia." I think the fools on network and cable should take a heavy dose of that philosophy. But, of course, that would not scare people and sell advertising, would it?
  • Reply to @hank: one side wants to be rewarded for believing in the culture of default. They want to leverage that belief or fake belief. That should not be rewarded by either side.
  • edited October 2013
    I don't want to jinx it but looking good so far as we are in positive territory. Nice call Ted. The conventional wisdom (and I hate conventional wisdom) is to add to positions when they are down over the debt/shutdown fears. I was hoping for a much bigger and longing lasting selloff this morning and was only able to add to HAL and initiate a new position in a Bakkan play, KOG. But who knows, with three hours left we could still revert to negative and close near the lows. Still believe junk bonds are the place to be in bondland. OK, enough of this short term stuff which for most is meaningless to your long term wealth.
  • TedTed
    edited October 2013
    Reply to @Junkster: Too early to make a positive call for sure, but its looking good !
    Regards,
    Ted
    http://finance.yahoo.com/portfolio/pf_13/view/v2
    Ted October 12 EditFlagReply

Reply to @Charles: Anytime their still talking, I consider it progress ! Futures are strong, and I believe we will have an up day Monday.
    Regards,
    Ted
  • Reply to @Mindy: No ! No ! No! Mindy, I can't make money when the market is closed
    Regards,
    Ted