Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

MSMLX Asia Small Co's or MEASX Emerging Asia

Any opinions on either of these two funds as a smaller position long term addition/compliment to MAPIX or MACSX?

I'm considering a minimum purchase in one of them and I would DCA $100/mth.

I read the Frontier Issue and I'm really intrigued.

http://matthewsasia.com/perspectives-on-asia/asianow/default.fs

Thanks

Clem

Comments

• I like Matthews. Both funds invest in the same geographic overlay. MEASX seems to be more all cap style while MSMLX is small cap only. The latter has a lower ER.

It would depend on what style of fund you are looking for. I might lean to MSMLX as MEASX might be duplicating somewhat in what you have in MAPIX/MACSX.

I have MAPIX, MAPTX, and MAINX in my holdings. Good luck.
  • Ditto. Matthews makes me happy, even when EM is swooning. MACSX is solid, and won't fall as far as other Asia EM stuff. It pays divs. in June and Dec..... MAPIX pays quarterly. I do believe that JohnChisum's logic makes sense. So, perhaps MSMLX would be marginally better for you. In any case, Matthews is operated by people who know what to do. It's a solid operation. Great reputation.
  • I own MAPIX and use to own MACSX but consolidated it into MAPIX since it was a small amount. I'm comfortable owning just one of those funds and I can always transfer back into MACSX at some point. If I closed out MAPIX I can't get back in (per their closing to new investors). So my thought was something to compliment it with one of the funds I mentioned.
  • Reply to @clemg64: I would hold onto MAPIX as long as you can unless something happens to Matthews which I sincerely doubt.

As far as I can see, Asia is still going to be a big engine of the worlds economy. The volatility you see in EM is actually normal. Big gains come with big risks. With that said, having a small percentage in a fund like MSMLX will ensure you are participating in that growth.
  • rmt
    edited January 2014
    Reply to @clemg64: Also look at diversified frontier funds like WAFMX or GPEOX.
  • ....But MAPIX is not a pure EM play, either. It holds stuff in non-EM "developed" countries. Hold onto that one, I'd say, whether or not you add MSMLX. I think the other ones who have responded to you are correct.

MAPIX:
    Japan 24.48%
    Austr/NZ 11.97
    Asia Dev. 23.54
    Asia Emerging 34.31
  • Reply to @Crash: Sorry for the diversion. The OP wasn't looking at EM funds in particular but I used them as an example of volatility he could expect from MSMLX.
  • :)
    No worries.