Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

6 Promising New Funds: David Snowball Comments ON (ARTWX)

Comments

• Thanks for the article.

David - you've also added ARTWX to your portfolio?

• edited February 2014
    Reply to @Kenster1_GlobalValue: Nope. I'm struggling to keep my portfolio manageable. I have 11 funds now and, in general, I try to maintain a one-in-one-out discipline. Ideally, in the year ahead I'll actually reduce the number of funds and increase the size of my stake in the remainder. Adding ARTWX would likely have to come at the expense of ARTVX or ARTKX. I've got substantial capital gains embedded in each and am quite satisfied with them, so I'll fight (thanks, Crash!) the temptation to collect funds.

David
  • edited February 2014
    David: "Fight." yes? Not "find."
  • edited February 2014
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Reply to @Crash: I love Freud.

Thanks, I edited the original post.
  • While I like David's one-in one-out approach for fund investing to limit the number funds you collect, it also depends how large your portfolio. I personally like to select 2 -3 potentially best funds in each morningstar's nine boxes to minimize manager's risk, the minimum investment allocated for each fund is around $100K and max at $ 300k. As a result, I have collected a large number funds over the years, based on the performance calculated by Fidelity as of January 31, my total returns in the last 15 years beats SP500 by handsome margin, IMO, the perception or argument that owning a larger number of funds will reduce the return is similar to the argument of active vs index investment, it just a personal preference. The trick is to pick the best minds.