Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Fund questions, a no-no, don't ask, no chit-chat......then just pull the server plug

edited February 2014 in Fund Discussions
What in the world is this all about with these comments to a new member, in particular; or any member here?

The site may as well go away if one can not ask a question and expect to have a conversation with another that may offer some insight into money management. Lest the very thought of such an event be beaten into the earth as an unworthy function of this, a public site with generally a high standard of character.

MJG reply

mikes425 understands his questions and possible answers:

"Hi folks and I certainly appreciate that requesting such subjective opinion on a general forum, with all due respect to the many wise contributors here - would not necessarily constitute cause to act on any such advice but i guess i should have rephrased to simply ask for general vs. specific thoughts on the holdings relative to my stated moderate-conservative
risk profile."

"Has become" a pretty sad circumstance with this folks.

Bye,

Catch

Comments

• Catch, I didn't jump back in after the responses so as to not step on toes but it did strike me as odd why mikes425 should not put up his portfolio here for discussion. It has been done many times before and I'm sure he knows this is a discussion board and not a advisor outlet. I hope he does come back so we can discuss the issue. He has a valid question and that is what this forum is all about I thought.
  • Hi JohnChisum,

Your initial response was thoughtful and welcoming.

The next response was "are you a fool?" to want to ask such a question here.

I can not speak for mikes425 and his understanding of this site and its functions. If I had been directed here by a friend to a kind and diverse thinking site about mutual funds and read MJG's reply, I would leave and not return and tell no others to come here.

Thank you for your presentation to mikes425.

Take care of you and yours,
    Catch
  • :) I was reading your post and the server went down. How did you do that???

Guess I didn't notice the MJG's typical passive-aggressive slights or maybe I've just gotten use to them. I remember my first post, oh, probably back in '06-'07, I got bashed by Investor. I asked something about using financial advisors and he scolded me that the topic wasn't appropriate for Fund Alarm. I remember rono came to my aid and told him off. Anyway, it didn't detour me from posting and I hope mikes425 isn't offended either.

And now that I think about it, what ever happen to Investor? He became one of my favorite posters.
  • edited February 2014
    It's usually a sign of a rising market that we take time to squabble about things like this.:-)
  • My view, not necessarily on this specific topic, is that life is too short to
    get engaged in expanding small differences of views. Let's work towards
    reconciling views. I don't think there is necessarily any harm in providing advice.
    The person providing advice should take the same care as he would if is talking
    to strangers (or even friends) in a social occasion and the person receiving advice
    should take the same care as he would if is receiving advice from strangers.
    I view MFO as a civil, social forum on investing and everybody is getting (more
    than) their money's worth.
  • Kaspa says it well.
  • Dittos. I could not have said it any better than Kaspa.
  • The person providing advice should take the same care as he would if is talking
    to strangers (or even friends) in a social occasion and the person receiving advice
    should take the same care as he would if is receiving advice from strangers.

Hi from Mike, Well, Kaspa i appreciate your point and it is the same that i made myself in my "disclaimer" - that is, something to the effect of, "the views and opinions expressed are those of the contributors and should not necessarily be considered as an endorsement" I'm a broadcaster so i'm paraphrasing the verbiage of an announcement we always used to have to run before and after an infomercial or other opinion-driven content. Fox 'News' ought to have to run that announcement every hour during which it purports to be a legitimate news source...but i digress - ((and refer back to my disclaimer LOL - sorry i got political for a moment)). Annnywaay.... yeah if it's fair game i'll post a listing of my holdings and percentages and be happy to get some feedback on my Port....assuming an All-Clear's been sounded here... or not.

• Good to see ya back mikes. Those that want to opine on your portfolio will and those that do not feel comfortable doing so will not. Your original question was in fact two questions. One regarded your portfolio allocation and the other question focused on whether an advisor would be suitable for your situation. The second one is up to you but as for the first question, you will get plenty of suggestions. In the end it is your decision on how to act accordingly.

Yep, politics should never be discussed at the supper table nor at MFO.