Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Dodge & Cox Fund Names & Symbol Changes - Effective May 1, 2014

Found this on the M* site:

Comments

• LOL & Thanks for sharing
  • "A Rose By Any Other Name Is Still A Rose" ! No big deal, let's move on.
    Regards,
    Ted
  • @Sven Read the above link from Chang at M* Mutual Fund Discussion Board. GX Global, SX Stock, IX International, BX Bond, AX Allocation.
    Regards,
    Ted
  • There is an art to designing user interfaces, whether it is an icon or a name or an acronym. I think D&C did a very good job here - DODxX, where x stands for the name of the fund. Simple, consistent, easy to remember.

I might have done this a bit differently, primarily because 'I' for income is pretty common already, and allows them more flexibility (e.g. preferred stock). Also, because the goal can be achieved with fewer changes.

My lineup would have been:
    Global Stock - DODGX
    Stock - DODSX
    Foreign Stock - DODFX (change the fund name to match the symbol, not vice versa)
    Income - DODIX (no change from old name/ticker)
    Balanced - DODBX (no change from old name/ticker)
  • msf said:

There is an art to designing user interfaces, whether it is an icon or a name or an acronym. I think D&C did a very good job here - DODxX, where x stands for the name of the fund. Simple, consistent, easy to remember.

I might have done this a bit differently, primarily because 'I' for income is pretty common already, and allows them more flexibility (e.g. preferred stock). Also, because the goal can be achieved with fewer changes.

My lineup would have been:
    Global Stock - DODGX
    Stock - DODSX
    Foreign Stock - DODFX (change the fund name to match the symbol, not vice versa)
    Income - DODIX (no change from old name/ticker)
    Balanced - DODBX (no change from old name/ticker)

Agree very much msf. Think the whole thing is confusing now since the new names have direct parallels to old names.

• Someone was taking Stupid Pills on THAT day.
  • Thanks for the heads up!
  • Is this for real or has April 1 come early?

If real, this is colossal stupidity to reuse fund names that will create more confusion for people currently holding any of these funds. Especially in third party brokerages, in reporting, cost basis computation, etc., for very little benefit to consumers from the change.

Vanguard brokerage, for example, completely screws up the cost basis information even if a fund just changes the name, let alone the symbol previously used for another fund. To the extent that they will even start to charge short-term transaction fee for selling within 6 months of this change, because the lots are considered as having been purchased on the day of the change. This happened to my account when YAFFX changed the fund name last year.

Granted that Vanguard has the worst brokerage software for non Vanguard funds, but who knows what this will do to various portfolio software? I cannot imaging M* portfolio manager will handle this gracefully at all given how badly it is programmed in general.

This has to be a joke. Or D&C has been taken over by incompetent consultants for its product management roles.
  • TedTed
    edited March 2014
    @ MFO Board Members: We've been had, this is a joke.
    Regards,
    Ted

The Real Dodge & Cox Masthead:
    https://www.dodgeandcox.com/
  • edited June 2014
    Reply to @Sven:

Ted said it best: "A Rose by any other name ..... Regards
  • @hank: This was joke played on members of the M* Mutual Fund Discussion by some jerk named Chang. I hope Kenster1_Global Growth has learned his lesson and doesn't bring any more of that crap from M* Board over to the number one Mutual Fund Discussion Board anywhere on the web.
    Regards,
    Ted
  • edited March 2014
    Reply to Ted: LOL
    What's next? Some prankster changing "Sell in May" to June or July?
    PS: Behave yourself Ted. Any one of us can be fooled. Shape up or
    I'll start haranguing you about your last Super Bowl call!:-)
  • edited March 2014
    Dodge & Weave should be the L/S fund from Dodge and Cox
  • @Ted: "This was joke played on members of the M* Mutual Fund Discussion by some jerk named Chang. I hope Kenster1_Global Growth has learned his lesson and doesn't bring any more of that crap from M* Board over to the number one Mutual Fund Discussion Board anywhere on the web."

---Ted, I'll gladly leave this board and will do so right now Life is too good to enjoy people who walk around like they have a permanent sour pickle stuck up their ass and happen to think they're so big after finding a Sheriff badge in a gumball machine.

You're the one with the issues following me over on M* with weird posts:

http://socialize.morningstar.com/NewSocialize/forums/p/336401/3523851.aspx#3523851

http://socialize.morningstar.com/NewSocialize/ViewPost.aspx?apptype=0&PostID=3522700

So Ted - look at yourself and learn your lesson too in not bringing over your crap including trying to call me out because you don't like my forum 'handle' and trying to bring it up as an issue. Stop being childish and go create your own sandbox and throw sand at someone else.

• @Kenster2_DomesticBlend: "--Ted, I'll gladly leave this board and will do so right now", is that threat or promise. Believe me you won't be missed on the world's greatest fund discussion board. You rightly belong on that second rate M* Fund Discussion Board.

P.S. I didn't find my Sheriff's in a gum ball machine, I got it from a mail-order catalog.
  • If this is the "world's greatest discussion board," it's got nothing to do with Ted, whose juvenile BS does nothing but bring the board down.
  • @Kenster1_GlobalValue

Sorry to read about your frustration here.

I fully understand.

Regards,

Catch
  • beebee
    edited March 2014
    Common decency, like common sense, isn't so common these days.

I keep this article bookmarked for those moments when I publicly illuminate my own imperfections and receive further confirmation from others.

From linked article:

"Wish I could get rid of these vestiges of shame. They seem to be holding me back. Day after day, I see other people breeze through life unhampered by manners, promises or common decency. And I am filled with wonder. It's not just a matter of having a lot of nerve. These folks do outrageous things and then, if you call them on it, they're completely unabashed. They either look bewildered and shrug or they accuse you of picking on them."

Common-Decency
  • @AndyJ, catch22, bee: I don't believe you have a dog in this fight.
    Regards,
    Ted
  • you can add me to the team, Ted. you are the reason i am mostly out. too much opinionated BS, insults to others and self adoration. you might need another hobby in life as not to trash the site that was so meticulously and carefully assembled by a wonderful team.

Kenster, welcome to M*. while TedMFO stops there sometimes, he doesn't do as much damage.
  • Civil discourse is everyone's dog
  • I'm on the team but not for long. I like what David is doing with MFO and was supporting him with quarterly donations to keep the site above water. But after being told by ted to" lead, follow or get out of the way", I'm getting out of the way and going elsewhere with my time and financial support. Usenet has forum monitors and the ability to filter posters, I just wish MFO had that capability. Oh I'll check in every once in a while for interesting posts but anything with ted in it is flushed clockwise.