Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Yet Another Test

MJG
edited May 2014 in Fund Discussions
Hi Guys,

Still having trouble posting my usual length submittal. This is a test if a shorter post makes it through the gate.

Louis Rukeyser said: "There are clear lines separating those who swear by him (MFO), and those who swear at him (MFO). At this moment I'm in this last grouping.

My wife is MJG2.

Best Regards.

Comments

• This might help if the problem is with length of post.

There is a limit on the number of characters in any post. The text box will allow you to enter more than that without warning (unless you are on a mobile device that has auto save enabled by default).

When you click post, it will seem like nothing happens. But if you scroll back to the top of the text box, you will see a message at the top in red that the message is X characters too long. This is easy to miss if you cannot see the top without scrolling. If you edit the post to cut out at least that many characters, then post will work. It applies to both new threads and comments.

You will get more help from the technical people here if you change the category of this post to Technical as someone suggested earlier and describe what happens when it doesn't work. The above is just a guess at diagnosis with the patient refusing to state symptoms.
  • edited May 2014
    Thanks for clearing up the MJG2 mystery. Rukeyser said a lot of bright things.:-)
    I've never encountered an issue with length or number of characters here. Am surprised if there is indeed such a limit.

Added just for fun: Notwithstanding the above, I struggle for brevity. It's rare when I don't look at something I wrote a hour ago and see a lot that can be chopped out without seriously weakening my message. As I noted to another yesterday, this tendancy to go back and chop away sometimes results in my posts resembling a moving target. To each his own. Just my humble opinion.

I enjoy all your posts MJG. That's the long and the short of it. Hope you get this thing fixed.

Regards
  • Why is verbosity curtailment a problem? More like a feature, IMHO. Now, if we can also set up a pomposity filter...
  • edited May 2014
    Reply to @Old Joe. I hear what you're saying, but IMHO the curtailment ought to come from the presenter of the ideas and not from some arbitrary word-limiter programmed into the site's software. And ... to be honest, there are some rare occasions when an extraordinarily lengthy submission is appropriate and may well be commensurate with the amount of thought conveyed. (Am sure we could dig up a few of your own as glaring proof thereof:-)

Regards
  • Signal to noise ratio in the submission is more important than length, so I agree with Hank.

Until we have an automatic S/N ratio filter, length will have to do I guess.
  • edited May 2014
    I know, I know. One of these days I'll learn to just keep quiet. Maybe. I hope.

But I will confess to minor heart palpitations when I first saw "MJG2".
  • Old_Joe said:

But I will confess to minor heart palpitations when I first saw "MJG2".

Yes, man crush can be powerful.:-)
  • edited May 2014
    Very funny, you clown!:-)